Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newly installed Ubuntu - rubbish performance

• 10-04-2014 10:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've got a Dell 5150 with the following spec:

Processor: Intel® Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz × 2
    Memory: 999.6 MiB
    OS Type: 32-bit
    Disk: 52.9 GB

I've installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS as part of a dual boot configuration with Windows XP. I've partitioned the drive (160Gb) to allocate 100Mb to XP and 55Mb to Ubuntu. I probably should have allocated a bit more to the Ubuntu, but its done now.

So far I've noticed that the Ubuntu is not as fast as I expected and there is frequent noises from the hard drive which I never had when running XP. However this is a minor issue.

My main gripe (and it is a big one) is that the scrolling of websites - particularly noticeable with Boards.ie is that the scrolling is jerky and frequently when scrolling part of the previous screen will remain in situ. This is horrible and TBH it is almost unusable. :mad:

The only app I have open is Firefox so I can see why this scrolling would be a problem. I've read numerous articles on the net about people with the same problem, but everyone seems to have a different answer and many replies seem to state that it doesn't work. :rolleyes:

Is there any way to resolve this issue as I am seriously thinking of just going back to XP and risking it!*

*I want to keep XP in place in case I need it at a later date.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

1Gb of ram isn't really enough for standard Ubuntu. Maybe try xubuntu instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

matrim wrote: »
    1Gb of ram isn't really enough for standard Ubuntu. Maybe try xubuntu instead

Agree with this, try xubuntu or lubuntu as you're not going to get much out of that PC spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Can I easily install xubuntu over the top of the ubuntu I have currently installed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Can I easily install xubuntu over the top of the ubuntu I have currently installed?

Do a fresh install of Lubuntu .I have it running on a very old Dell , great performance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Id go for Mint 16 with XFCE desktop, it will run very well on your machine.
    http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2534

Or if you fancy the older LTS version
    http://www.linuxmint.com/download_lts.php

With a new LTS Ubuntu out next week, a newer improved version of Mint LTS will be available within a month or so, be worth checking back for their light weight XFCE version when it arrives :)

(Mint is ubuntu based btw if you didnt know, so fully compatible ...and much better !)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭anotherfinemess

I;m a dimwit where computers are concerned, however I have managed to use Ubuntu 12.4 for a couple of years without too much trouble. I scrubbed windows off the computer altogether because I was getting viruses despite expensive anti virus software.

Lately though when I send docs to Windows users they can't open them, unlike in the past. Has MS got militant about our lovely freeware? Does anyone know of a way around this problem in plain english?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭human 19

You may also want to chect out Zorin
    Havent used it myself ...

Zorin OS Lite 8.1 Is the Perfect OS for Users with Old PCs Running from Windows XP

Vid comparing it to windows 8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9l4HCfEC-Q

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,415 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

bedlam wrote: »
    apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

Reboot and then at the login screen select the desktop of your choice.

Opened terminal and tried this - nothing.

Prefixed it with 'sudo' and it semmed to go through a lot of commands and installations, but then just returned to the prompt and nothing happened. Rebooted, only option was Ubuntu, selected it, showed Lubuntu splash screen but everything else is Ubuntu and back still with Ubuntu desktop.

Currentiy downloading the Lubuntu iso onto a pen drive before, trying that method.

UPDATE: It loks like it is loading Lubuntu as I can see the splash screen but I can't figure out how to activate it ahead of Ubuntu. What have I done wrong here? The only command I've performed has been:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Opened terminal and tried this - nothing.

Prefixed it with 'sudo' and it semmed to go through a lot of commands and installations, but then just returned to the prompt and nothing happened. Rebooted, only option was Ubuntu, selected it, showed Lubuntu splash screen but everything else is Ubuntu and back still with Ubuntu desktop.

Currentiy downloading the Lubuntu iso onto a pen drive before, trying that method.

UPDATE: It loks like it is loading Lubuntu as I can see the splash screen but I can't figure out how to activate it ahead of Ubuntu. What have I done wrong here? The only command I've performed has been:

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop

When logging in theres an icon beside your ysername with desktop choices

Advertisement