Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Application lags if started from init.d?

Options
  • 01-04-2014 2:41pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a program (pre-compiled binary) that, when started manually on linux, runs fine. It has a CLI that I use to enter commands.

However if I want to start it up at boot time the program goes very slowly, unusably so. If there is information being printed to the screen for example, it will be printed out in chunks, as if there was a slow baudrate, that kind of thing. Every command I enter is like this, information is printed very slowly.

What could be happening, what is different from me running this manually after boot rather than from init.d with S99 or something? If I stop the process and relaunch it manually it works fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Try strace to a file from init.d and from a manual run. Maybe it's waiting for some resources?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,251 ✭✭✭✭Standard Toaster

Had something similar happen before on a RedHat 6 box. What os are you running?
    If you recreate the issue and stop syslog/rsyslog does it go away?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Issue here was that when issuing a commend a normal user was starting the process, their default nice level is 19. From boot root was starting the process with a default nice level of 0 causing a lot more CPU cycles to be allocated and intense lag.

Advertisement