Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cashel Palace Hotel : ceases trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Awful. I know one of those people who has been there for a many, many years. No redundancies, no payouts.

Terrible timing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭cml387

Am I mistaken in thinking the hotel was closed before for a while?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

So a hotel goes bust in a town with one of the major tourist attractions in the country. Nationwide recovery me arse! Unless it's Buswells the ****ers in the Dail won't notice.

Some people would blame the government if they stubbed their toe:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

cml387 wrote: »
    Some people would blame the government if they stubbed their toe:rolleyes:

I think you'll find losing your job a couple of weeks before Christmas is a little bit more serious than stubbing a toe. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

touts wrote: »
    I think you'll find losing your job a couple of weeks before Christmas is a little bit more serious than stubbing a toe. :rolleyes:
    Missing the entire point of the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

Very sad to hear this but has great potential so hopefully wont be closed for long

Actually Buswell's hotel is in liquidation as well:p

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭varberg

A fabulous hotel. Time for all to come together and try to promote the town, build a new five star hotel and reopen the amazing cashel palace. All the tourists, over half a million, and most of them are only there for the day as theres so few places to stay in cashel. A brand new hotel and the cashel palace could thrive if there was some joined up thinking in the town and county in general.

The first pints of guinness were brewed by arthurs grandfather and father there. very little promotion of it tho. unreal gardens there again unless you were there ud never have heard of it. Cashel has potential to be an amazing tourist town but its not worked on by councellors or tds or business community.

Thurles are putting in a town park, something cashel badly needs too. Templemore town park is amazing but theres none in cashel only a few swings in a housing estate. A park is a vital amenity in a rounded town.

Whatever happened to the new hotel, leisure centre and holiday homes that were supposed to be built on the site of the old Cashel Kings Hotel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭Paddico

I'm hoping and guessing that it wont be long before its taken over and re-opened again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

I have been going to the "Buttery" in the Cashel Palace for the last forty years and their soup of the day has always been "vegetable" without exception a mish mash of the previous days vegetables in a big black electronically heated pot in the corner in full view of the customers, at a ridiculous high price "you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time".

People have voted with their steering wheels after the by pass was opened.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

Xenophile wrote: »
    I have been going to the "Buttery" in the Cashel Palace for the last forty years and their soup of the day has always been "vegetable" without exception a mish mash of the previous days vegetables in a big black electronically heated pot in the corner in full view of the customers, at a ridiculous high price "you can fool some of the people some of the time but not all of the people all of the time".

what a complete load of nonsense.
    You base the closure of the Cashel Palace on the soup of the day ?
    Check the menu board outside the gates. The menu's for the day of closure are still posted.

The buttery was just one area of the palace that served food.
    The Guinness bar is another and were/are you familiar with the Four Seasons restaurant within the palace ?

As for voting with their steering wheels, the Cashel palace was not a stopover for everyone, it was aimed at a select market.

PacMan wrote: »
    As for voting with their steering wheels, the Cashel palace was not a stopover for everyone, it was aimed at a select market.
    A bit too select, it seems.

cml387 wrote: »
    A bit too select, it seems.

indeed....

PacMan wrote: »
    You base the closure of the Cashel Palace on the soup of the day ?

I am talking about the bar the only place you get food during the day. Going there for forty years and you can order any soup you like provided it's vegetable.

I remember around Christmas and New Year, very poor open fire in the grate on a constant basis it was an embarrassment, people traveling a long journey must have really felt cold there.

Just thought I would place these issues on record.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Indeed !!

If the place was so bad it is strange that you continued to frequent it for 40 years........
    Or is it possible to "fool some of the people all of the time" ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,961 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I think it just needs a new perspective to be successful. The current owners were there a long time afaik. The demand for the hotel has changed.
    The names that are on the walls of the downstairs bar are mostly from a previous era. They need to get more in touch with the community around them, the community would keep the restaurants going if they were priced a bit more competitively. Cashel has lots of great places to eat so premium pricing isn't really going to work, if someone wants an exquisite meal in Cashel, they'll pay for Chez Hans.

Those gardens are fantastic, and nothing appears to be done to promote them. A little haven in the middle of the town. I'd say half the down doesn't know they're there.

There's no point in blaming the government for this. It's down to poor management in my opinion. Cashel is a big tourist town and the only other hotel in the town (I think?) is Baileys. There's no excuses for not being able to have some profit margin when operating there.

Obviously it's tough on those 32 staff and their families especially around Christmas, but the writing was on the wall with the Palace for a long time.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Indeed !!

If the place was so bad it is strange that you continued to frequent it for 40 years........
    Or is it possible to "fool some of the people all of the time" ?

Made some good friends there over the years, in particular Dennis, Seamie and a couple of the girls.

The beginning of the end was when they changed the Buttery to a formal dining room, and changed the whole lay out.

Maybe a good time to pay tribute to a former owner/manager namely Ray Carroll who was a gentleman to his finger tips. Later he went to manage the "K Club" for Michael Smurfit.

P.S. By the way I avoided the soup and must say that the roast of the day was always good value for money.

I think it just needs a new perspective to be successful. The current owners were there a long time afaik. The demand for the hotel has changed.
    The names that are on the walls of the downstairs bar are mostly from a previous era. They need to get more in touch with the community around them, the community would keep the restaurants going if they were priced a bit more competitively. Cashel has lots of great places to eat so premium pricing isn't really going to work, if someone wants an exquisite meal in Cashel, they'll pay for Chez Hans.

Those gardens are fantastic, and nothing appears to be done to promote them. A little haven in the middle of the town. I'd say half the down doesn't know they're there.

There's no point in blaming the government for this. It's down to poor management in my opinion. Cashel is a big tourist town and the only other hotel in the town (I think?) is Baileys. There's no excuses for not being able to have some profit margin when operating there.

Obviously it's tough on those 32 staff and their families especially around Christmas, but the writing was on the wall with the Palace for a long time.

Your contribution is accurate and positive. I think it would have a problem holding on to it's four star rating especially as it has no leisure centre. At the same time you would think that because of its fantastic location under the Rock of Cashel that weddings would have been sufficient to keep it going along with the continous flow of "yanks" who loved the place.

Hope it will be back in business soon and in the meantime I hope the staff made redundant get a good deal.

• Advertisement

Hope it will be back in business soon and in the meantime I hope the staff made redundant get a good deal.

Agree, they deserve it .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Awful. I know one of those people who has been there for a many, many years. No redundancies, no payouts.

Terrible timing :(

This is simply not true. The staff will get their statutory redundancies it's all in process. The Cashel Palace didn't move with the times and now it's closed.
    Hopefully someone with international hotel experience will take it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭Field east

Your faithfulness and tenacity over the last 40 years is to be commended re your soup observation post. Or was there something else that attracted you to the hotel on an , apparently , frequent basis?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

mrsbyrne wrote: »
    This is simply not true. The staff will get their statutory redundancies it's all in process. The Cashel Palace didn't move with the times and now it's closed.
    Hopefully someone with international hotel experience will take it up.

Good to know the staff will get redundancies. The staff member I spoke to who has worked there for years was under the impression there were none. Thanks for the update.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Good to know the staff will get redundancies. The staff member I spoke to who has worked there for years was under the impression there were none. Thanks for the update.

Even when the employer can't pay redundancy the DSP can and will.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I am talking about the bar the only place you get food during the day. Going there for forty years and you can order any soup you like provided it's vegetable.

I remember around Christmas and New Year, very poor open fire in the grate on a constant basis it was an embarrassment, people traveling a long journey must have really felt cold there.

Just thought I would place these issues on record.

This was also true of the bedrooms - it is a lovely place but they need to heat it properly.

It was hard to enjoy the Guinness Bar when you couldn't even take off your coat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mikeymouse

I cannot ever see it operating as a hotel again, it lacks economy of scale, and the building itself is of so much historical and architectural value and given it's location etc. it would never get planning permission for extensions.

Would make a great party venue for the rich especially rich American companies like Google, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. and of course top indigenous Irish companies like Glanbia etc.

In my opinion it would need renovations to the tune of the sale price to modernise it and make it comfortable by modern day standards, no wonder the selling agents are saying on their brochure

"The property might appeal to a wealthy businessman looking for “an exceptional private residence”. In that eventuality, the new owner would be free to avail of 6km of fishing on the rivers Suir and Aherlow.

It would be a pity to see it bought, to be once again restored as a private residence. But I do not think that this will happen.

Advertisement