Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

RayCun wrote: »
    (keep an eye on boards too, there might be something in the next few weeks)
    Intrigued, tell us more!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

If it helps I was in the Leeds United jersey carrying a baby around.

No it was not my baby as Shiv suggested :mad: :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

No it was not my baby as Shiv suggested :mad: :p

It suited you though! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hurray....I finally got an official time, 4.27.17 so 1 min longer than my garmin but don't care as still under 4.30 and proves to all my doubters i didn't get the bus from the halfway mark:D

Why are all the split times gun time? Or is that just my results?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Why are all the split times gun time? Or is that just my results?

That's the same for everybody, it was like that last year too. The TDS site shows chip and gun splits and tells you where the splits actually were (5miles and 20 miles as opposed to 10 and 30k). Much better site for checking results than the DCM site, which is a shame.

menoscemo wrote: »
    That's the same for everybody, it was like that last year too. The TDS site shows chip and gun splits and tells you where the splits actually were (5miles and 20 miles as opposed to 10 and 30k). Much better site for checking results than the DCM site, which is a shame.

Do you have a link boss?

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Do you have a link boss?

Are you joking? The results have been up there since the race was over and the link pasted everywhere. I guess it goes with your name :p here you go anyways:
    http://www.tds-live.com/ns/index.jsp?pageType=1&id=4027

Looks like your chip failed by the way boss, chip and gun the same and you didn't make 3:30 :mad:

My time is still gun time, what a shambles!

• Advertisement

My time is still gun time, what a shambles!

Yeah, email them office@dublinmarathon.ie
    and see if they can fix that. Let them know you started in the 2nd wave (even your gun time is the first wave gun tim). If you read the Thread in the events forum you'll see you're not alone.

Yeah, email them office@dublinmarathon.ie
    and see if they can fix that. Let them know you started in the 2nd wave (even your gun time is the first wave gun tim). If you read the Thread in the events forum you'll see you're not alone.

Cheers but even if they amend everybodies time by the 5 or 10 mins it's still not accurate unless you were at the front of each wave. I'm just waiting for delivery of the wrong time for the back of my medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Fair play to everyone for finishing on Monday. Had a bit of rough day, things didnt go well from the start, but hey you live & learn & I've got my medal :P

Havent posted much here, but have read almost every post and have to say thanks to Ray & the rest who have doled out advice in the lead up to the race.

The one bit of advice I didnt follow and I would hammer home to anyone who asks me about doing the marathon was
    First piece of advice?
    DON’T DO IT
    Seriously, don’t enter Dublin this year. Too many people start running and go straight into running marathons. It’s a bad idea. You are much better off spending a couple of years running shorter distances.

Although I put the effort in with the training, LSR's etc the big thing that was missing was just experience. I reckon it'll be 24 months before I think about stepping up to the 26.2 miles again, just going to stick to short stuff up to half marathon distance and just enjoy running instead of making it a chore

Yeah I always go to TDS first anyway but they should have it sorted on their site by now.

It was a massive shambles this year. Couldn't search club results either as we weren't down as running for our clubs. DOB's were wrong.

In fairness, whatever went wrong with the registrations obviously left them with a lot of work to do for getting results out.

It suited you though! :D

Feck off :mad:

antomagoo wrote: »
    Fair play to everyone for finishing on Monday. Had a bit of rough day, things didnt go well from the start, but hey you live & learn & I've got my medal :P

Havent posted much here, but have read almost every post and have to say thanks to Ray & the rest who have doled out advice in the lead up to the race.

The one bit of advice I didnt follow and I would hammer home to anyone who asks me about doing the marathon was

Although I put the effort in with the training, LSR's etc the big thing that was missing was just experience. I reckon it'll be 24 months before I think about stepping up to the 26.2 miles again, just going to stick to short stuff up to half marathon distance and just enjoy running instead of making it a chore

You don't realise it yet but you now have an aerobic base to build on. See you at the start line next year!;)

Seriously, I could see you happy out up deyer in Ballyer with 13 kids like steps on the stairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

Seriously, I could see you happy out up deyer in Ballyer with 13 kids like steps on the stairs!

Focus the Children's Allowance RQ.... There might even be a social grant for new running shoes :D

Name|marathon time|Total so far|Marathon Comments
    Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Househunter||702 miles||
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT||350.5m|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    red face dave||280.5 miles||
    Younganne|4.27|298.5m|tough marathon but great atmosphere:D
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy||536 miles||
    mazken||408.8 miles| |
    run44 (Aoife)||502 miles||

anyone fancy filling in this table(if it works) to see how we all got on

• Registered Users Posts: 27 jamesmurphy1

RayCun wrote: »
    Lots of good suggestions for next year's mentor, but maybe you should wait until next spring before deciding? See who is still active on boards, who has gone on to race more, who feels ready to do it...

(but really, it's not that difficult. Just rip off the previous mentored threads, repeat the same few pieces of advice over and over again, and have too much time on your hands :D )

Ray thanks again to you and all the lads for all your help and advice but before I close the door on DCM 2011 can you help resolve this mystery for me. I was hoping for 4.30 based on the following Clontarf H/M 2.00 Frank Duffy 10m 01.31 and last year 01.34 also last year DCM 05.56 was on time for 04.30 up to 18miles. Athlone 3/4 03.17 but sadly this years marathon 5.54. Followed H/H novice 2. Any thoughts I think I need to get away from this program next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭maggiemissy

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Househunter||702 miles||
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT||350.5m|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    mazken||408.8 miles| |

anyone fancy filling in this table(if it works) to see how we all got on

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭househunter

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT||350.5m|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    rom||470 miles||
    maggiemissy|4.38|562 miles|didn't go to planmad.gif but better next time hopefully!|
    mazken||408.8 miles| |

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭mazken

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Househunter|3:55|702 miles|Tough but a great experience. All went to plan. Atmosphere was fantastic. Will defo do another some time :D|
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT||350.5m|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    rom||470 miles||
    mazken|4.03|444 miles|An amazing experience and one i'll never forget!!|

Great idea Anne!! A nice way to round off the thread!! I'm actually going to miss filling out these tables :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Ray thanks again to you and all the lads for all your help and advice but before I close the door on DCM 2011 can you help resolve this mystery for me. I was hoping for 4.30 based on the following Clontarf H/M 2.00 Frank Duffy 10m 01.31 and last year 01.34 also last year DCM 05.56 was on time for 04.30 up to 18miles.

What happened at 18 miles? Injury? Run out of energy? Stomach problems?

Ray thanks again to you and all the lads for all your help and advice but before I close the door on DCM 2011 can you help resolve this mystery for me. I was hoping for 4.30 based on the following Clontarf H/M 2.00 Frank Duffy 10m 01.31 and last year 01.34 also last year DCM 05.56 was on time for 04.30 up to 18miles. Athlone 3/4 03.17 but sadly this years marathon 5.54. Followed H/H novice 2. Any thoughts I think I need to get away from this program next year

Spend a few months getting used to running at least 30 miles per week, then start building in speed sessions, read up, and you could then look at something like this for next year. That's pretty much what I did and shaved 46 mins off of my DCM time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT||350.5m|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    red face dave|4.43|306.7 miles|Bad day but I will be back:)|
    rom||470 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 1,703 ✭✭✭PDCAT

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    rom||470 miles||

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Vagga||461 miles||
    Nules10||479||
    Mr Abbey||332 miles||
    PDCAT|4.13|350.5m| Was doing fine until mile 18, then the wheels came off. Think it has something to do with missing couple of weeks training including two LSR's and two Long Midweek runs in September. Only one training run over 16.5 miles. Legs just died at 18 miles. Happy with completing first marathon though. That's the main goal.|
    ShivDCM||428m||
    BobMac104||511.55||
    rom||470 miles||
    run44 (Aoife)|4.21.26|502 miles|After I got over the nerves, was smiling all the way around - had a blast! Still amazed at the great support out on the day :D|

Great idea, Anne!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

mazken wrote: »
    I'm actually going to miss filling out these tables :(

Me too. Have grown quite attached to this thread!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Anyone out for a run yet ? Have itchy feet (and achy thighs it must be said). Mad to go but decided to wait till 2moro as per Rays advice :)

Advertisement