Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student....

Options
  • 10-04-2014 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,205 ✭✭✭✭

hi I have decided to go to college at the virginal age of 31 as employment opportunities are utter ****e now and with a HUUUUUUUUUGE mortgage and two kids myself and my wife talked in depth about me returning to education and feel time is right now.... i know the deadline for mature students applying is feb 1st and late apps can be placed via cao by may 1st but do any of you know my chances of being accepted when i wont be interviewed as a mature student and will have to go through the general cao channels..

any advice would be greatly appreciated guys and gals...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Artful_Badger

hi I have decided to go to college at the virginal age of 31 as employment opportunities are utter ****e now and with a HUUUUUUUUUGE mortgage and two kids myself and my wife talked in depth about me returning to education and feel time is right now.... i know the deadline for mature students applying is feb 1st and late apps can be placed via cao by may 1st but do any of you know my chances of being accepted when i wont be interviewed as a mature student and will have to go through the general cao channels..

any advice would be greatly appreciated guys and gals...

Carlow IT take a lot of mature students but even at that there's a lot more applying and going for interviews than there are places allocated. I would say your chances are pretty slim of getting a place without going through the proper channels. Then again stranger things have happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Ziphius

Have you considered the courses offered by Life Long Learning?

http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/part-time-courses/parttime-courses-carlow.htm

As far as I am aware their admissions process is separate from the CAO/mature students.

http://www.itcarlow.ie/study-at-itc/part-time-courses/how-to-apply-evening-courses.htm

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Some good advice there by Ziphius. Look at your entry options...which would be better for you and for your family in the timeframe you're looking to become a student once again? You may have some good luck by phoning the admissions office and asking if you can get further information about entry processes and which one will suit your needs. Hearing it from another person may make things clearer than reading text on screen.

Whatever happens, I wish you the best of luck in your application :)

Advertisement