Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PGDE (Secondary) UK

Options
  • 03-04-2014 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi

I am thinking of doing a PGDE in Secondary School teaching because I do not want to do the 2 year course they are now running in Ireland.

Has anyone done this before and then gone on to teach in Ireland? I am thinking of studying in Scotland. They still have places available in Strathclyde University. Would anyone recommend this college?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,409 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

just ensure you won't have to jump through lots of hoops to get TC registered afterwards because the programmes are becoming 2 years to tick the TC box. Also there is an oversupply here already in most subjects so you may be putting yourself at a disadvantage. However it may go your way also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Sharleena

I know, you're right. I think I will just have to do my one year induction in Scotland/UK and then I can register to teach in Ireland. I figure it'll be better to do 2 years in the UK, but get paid for my second one, rather than 2 years in Ireland unpaid.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

What a cynical exercise the two year 'Dip' is!God knows they were padding it out at one year .But the TC , colleges and Government are happy so thats all the counts , right?

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

You have to ask yourself why the hdip is being changed to a 2 year masters. The dept of educ and TC must feel that a 1 year course is insufficient, otherwise maybe they are trying to reduce the amount of people going into teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

You have to ask yourself why the hdip is being changed to a 2 year masters. The dept of educ and TC must feel that a 1 year course is insufficient, otherwise maybe they are trying to reduce the amount of people going into teaching.

I understand what you're saying but it is very frustrating for students who really want to be teachers but who have very limited funds. It is also frustrating because it was good enough for all of the other teachers in the education system. I have heard many say that their dip didn't prepare them for teaching and that its content left much to be desired. Thus I would argue that they should have sought to improve the quality of the existing hdip rather than overhaul it entirely. I feel that you may be right about them trying to put people off going into teaching. Some of the best teachers I know stumbled into teaching and this may stop them getting that opportunity. I also think it may have been increased to get more free labour and more money off students for fees.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

Not to mention keeping potential 'bolshy' working class teachers out of schools.We don't want anyone other than good FG voting , IBEC lovin' , middle class teachers manipulating young future voters minds , right !?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Yeah Sharleena, I've an interview for Strathclyde in a couple weeks. Be very handy if I got in, I'll be doing English. What subject you doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭goose1

I´m also looking into doing the PGDE in secondary English in Scotland. Will Irish schools immediately dismiss me on the basis that the PGDE was only in the one subject? I also did history to degree level and have a Masters in it too so if I was applying for jobs in Ireland would I be considered for a job teaching history or will they look at my PGDE and discount me right away?

I actually got the interview in Strathclyde too but am teaching abroad at the moment and can´t make it, got skype interviews for a couple others though so fingers crossed there!

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

If you get qualified to teach before the requirements change in 2017 you'll probably be able to teach history too. But by 2017 you'll have to have studied the methodologies of teaching the subject so you may not qualify to teach history with just the 60 credit requirement.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭lilmizzme

Hi Goose,

I did my undergrad in Ireland, and almost finished the PGDE in English in Edinburgh Uni. I love it over here. You're guaranteed a years work after you finish the course through the Teacher Induction Scheme that they run here in Scotland, which was a big pull factor for me. Also, you qualify for free fees here for the PGDE, so all you need is funds for rent and food etc while you're here. I know the job situation is ropey back home at the moment, but I'm not going to worry about it for another few years, jobs are much easier to come by over here anyway.

I'm not 100% about the subject situation, I did my undergrad in English and History, but the PGDE will only qualify me to teach one subject in England and Scotland, which is completely the norm, and wouldn't hinder prospects at interview stage. However, AFAIK, the teaching council in Ireland look at your degree credits in order to register you as a teacher, so doing 3 years of history and 4 years of English means I can teach both, but I could be wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Any tips for the interview I'll be doing in Strathclyde?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭daithi84

Are the fees in the UK not like £9000 a year now, where they give you a loan which you dont have to pay back until you're in full time employment. I was looking at doing a PDGE in secondary teaching. My subjects are economics and politics but i dont think there is much demand for them at the moment.

Advertisement