Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Differences between College Life and Life at home

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hey Guys I'm doing a project based on the differences between life in college and life at home so id be really grateful if you could tell me about any differences you've noticed.
    It doesn't matter if you live at home and commute or if you moved for college i was everyone's perspective on this one
    So tell me about your experience:)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Although we don't usually allow research work or surveys to be carried out for projects I'll allow you this one piece of info; nothing much changed for me at all. I was busy most of the day when at home since I was studying before coming to Carlow, coupled with a busy course in Carlow itself when I got there...barely anything noticeable changed, mostly the faces I seen every day and people I got to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 teddy87

The big difference I notice dis that ina college there is always something going on. U can meet a new friend every five mintues and the campus has a great buzz I the air.the are so loud and busy but in a good way.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭BelleOfTheBall

Hi lived at home while at colleges also working part time. I was a busy bee and greatful for my parents.workef hard at college and work it paid off.my younger brother doing lc and hopefully going the same faith...I enjoyed the best of both worlds.working made me more mature while at college.hope this helps

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭patdshaker

I noticed a difference alright when I was living in Carlow, but my home life is not that of a sterotypical Irish person anyway so it made no odds to me.

Although what I did notice -

washing my own clothes.
    not having a dishwasher.
    paying for my own foods.
    how to live on the cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭sopretty

I suddenly was in charge of what I did on a daily basis, with no-one to keep an eye on me.
    I discovered there were people who were smarter than me. (I was disgusted with that realisation :pac:)
    My uni had a pool-room.
    I was mixed in with people from all over the country rather than d localz.
    I could drink and get twisted and Mammy wouldn't find out.
    I could decide whether to go to a lecture or not ('not' was my default position :D)
    I acquired a sort of 'neutral' accent, to fit in with everyone else.
    I realised how innocent I was.

That the sort of thing you're looking for?

It's worth noting, that I dropped out in first year! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How to live on the cheap, and use the college facilities as much as possible. Although I had a laptop, it was fairly old, and only really usable for MS Word but little else. Thus most of my work was done in the college.

You also get to live with other random strangers in the house you stay. Luckily, most of the lads I lived with were grand and only one became a bit of an arsehole when he was drunk.

Getting more freedom from home, along with freedom from your lectures (they no longer chase you down for your homework) can throw some people off.

Advertisement