Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different Pay Scale for Fixed Term Employee

Options
  • 29-11-2013 5:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I'm working as a fixed term employee with on of the hospitals & I've noticed that I'm being placed of different pay scale (5 point scale) & permanent employees are being placed on a different pay scale (10 point scale).
    I've more than 5 years experience of working on same job & would I have been a permanent employee, I would have been placed on a higher pay scale.
    Can my employer legally do that?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

But you can't be on a contract for more than 4 years without being made permanent, so I think you need to explain more about your work situation. Have you been on contract for 5+ years?

"The Act provides that fixed-term employees may not be treated less favourably than comparable permanent employees unless the employer can objectively justify the different treatment. Any justification offered cannot be connected with the fact that the employee is on a fixed-term contract."

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

are you in a union, as somebody that worked in an English hospital i found the union rep was the person to go to for advice on issues like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

Could they be doing a better job than you and therefore get paid more? Im not trying to be smart.

Advertisement