Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time Management Systems - Fingerprint ID

Options
  • 19-11-2013 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been in the same job for a few years but a recent change of management has seen attempts to bring in a lot of changes to the company I work for. One of the things they want to do is to change from a manual sign in sheet to an automated system whereby you sign in with a fingerprint.

The data protection freak in me is not happy about this. Am I entitled to refuse to provide my fingerprint?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

This page at ICCL suggests to me that are entitled to refuse. That may not apply if they have a good reason for fingerprinting over other systems, such as giving access to secure areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I do not think you can refuse on the basis that you are paranoid.
    You could though ask for the details on how the the information is being stored securely and if you spot a problem refuse on those grounds
    I would though ask for it to be rectified rather than refuse outright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

My advice is this is a bad time to be a sticky cog.. New managment may have been forced to bring in fingerprint timekeeping as people were taking the piiss in the past... Sticking your head up now with big brother delusions will get you noticed for the wrong reasons..

Aside from that... I'm curious, what would worry you about providing a fingerprint ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

Of all the information that your employer has on you which needs to be data protected (full name, address, PPS number, date of birth, bank details, salary, pension etc) your finger print isn't going to make a huge amount of difference is it?

• Site Banned Posts: 52 ✭✭dutcher

Your employer will not have your fingerprint. It is automatically encrypted on those machines. Only way they will have your finger print is if they dust the prints off the machine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dublinflyer

I faced a similar situation a number of years ago. The company I worked for wanted to introduce the same system. A number of people (not me) objected to this and ended up in the LRC. It ended up that they had no valid reason to object and had to use it. Two of them were dismissed in the within the following six months for poor timekeeping!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

We've had the system for 6 years no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

A company that I worked with previously the employees requested a bio-metric system as they were fed up with the previous card system being abused by co-workers. They seem to be happy with the fingerprint system.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Your employer will have to prove that the biometric system is proportionate. Al the information that you require is found here: http://www.dataprotection.ie/docs/Biometrics_in_the_workplace./244.htm

Advertisement