Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Eirebear wrote: »
    Of course, if he did give the penalty - you would be giving him exactly the same abuse as you did when he gave the broadfoot one...right? :rolleyes:

Or, just like the Rangers "Goal" during the new year game when we were all treated to "neither the referee or the linesman could see it, therefore couldnt give the goal".

Make up your mind man.

Whats the Broadfoot one?

I do remember one incident where he gave a penalty with his back to play. Should have been marked down for that.

If the referee was downgraded over the goal in the new years game, id have no problem with that.

Referees do get marked down/downgraded for making mistakes, why should it be different in this scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Dempsey wrote: »
    Nelson has admitted there was contact with Stokes in the tackle. Even if he didnt admit it, you could see the guilty look in his face when Collum was running over.

Nelson also said that Stokes after the game (upon seeing the incident) said he 'wasn't sure'.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    Nelson also said that Stokes after the game (upon seeing the incident) said he 'wasn't sure'.

Sure that means it was a penalty ;)

You like to get bogged down in irrelevant things.

A tackle from behind where you get the player but none of the ball should be a penalty according to the rules of the game. Simple as. The officials got it wrong, they should be made accountable for their mistakes. You are either trolling or dont know the rules of football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

A tackle from behind where you get the player but none of the ball should be a penalty according to the rules of the game. Simple as. The officials got it wrong, they should be made accountable for their mistakes. You are either trolling or dont know the rules of football.

Demps, there is no conclusive proof that he was taken out. The Killie player pulls out of tackle at last second. He doesn't follow through with his leg. This is one of these decisions that you can debate all night long. For every Celtic fan who thinks it was a penalty, there will be one who thinks it wasn't. The ref has a split second to make a decision and unless he is 100% convinced it's a peno he can't give it. Talking about Collum being made accountable is farcical when clearly there is such uncertainty over the decision three days later with he benefit of dozens of replays. This is football, Celtic only have themselves to blame for not scoring the goals to keep the treble dream alive. The players need to take responsibility for their actions or inaction in this case, instead of trying to lay the blame at the poor officials.

• Advertisement

I didn't see a post about this but I think Lenny deserves great credit for the 26 game unbeaten run he oversaw. After the start to the season he had when the knives were out for him, to turn it around in such style he deserves all the plaudits. It was disappointing for the run to end in a cup final. I think with all the problems going on at Rangers, Celtic's great run has been under the radar a little.

You're the one who mentioned Nelson, how is it irrelevant when I say that the same guy said that Stokes himself was unsure about the incident ?

Surely if Stokes wasn't sure then there's no cause to blame the referee for his decision ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Brewster wrote: »
    I think with all the problems going on at Rangers, Celtic's great run has been under the radar a little.

It hasn't been, to those that matter anyway. It's been appreciated by every single Celtic supporter out there, as will this SPL title.

PauloMN wrote: »
    I think with all the problems going on at Rangers, Celtic's great run has been under the radar a little.

It hasn't been, to those that matter anyway. It's been appreciated by every single Celtic supporter out there, as will this SPL title.

I thought it would be appropriate to highlight the great run once again Paul.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

I thought it would be appropriate to highlight the great run once again Paul.

Wasn't having a go mate, just pointing out that any nonsense talk of tainted titles isn't going to spoil our party in any way. :)

• Advertisement

Demps, there is no conclusive proof that he was taken out. The Killie player pulls out of tackle at last second. He doesn't follow through with his leg. This is one of these decisions that you can debate all night long. For every Celtic fan who thinks it was a penalty, there will be one who thinks it wasn't. The ref has a split second to make a decision and unless he is 100% convinced it's a peno he can't give it. Talking about Collum being made accountable is farcical when clearly there is such uncertainty over the decision three days later with he benefit of dozens of replays. This is football, Celtic only have themselves to blame for not scoring the goals to keep the treble dream alive. The players need to take responsibility for their actions or inaction in this case, instead of trying to lay the blame at the poor officials.

Collum has a track record of being poorly positioned, making poor decisions in big matches. Its his job to make spilt second decisions in a high pressure environment, he gets nearly £1000 per game for the privilege. It is grounds for downgrading a referee in any other league and in any other sport. I find it comical that you are all jumping to his defence.

I made no comment on its bearing on the match, I'm just sick of that useless referee getting SPL games and high profile matches. The penalty decision wasnt the only thing he got completely wrong in the final that was significant but to talk about these things would be too much for those that seem to have their own set of rules for the sport.

Collum has a track record of being poorly positioned, making poor decisions in big matches. Its his job to make spilt second decisions in a high pressure environment, he gets nearly £1000 per game for the privilege. It is grounds for downgrading a referee in any other league and in any other sport. I find it comical that you are all jumping to his defence.

I made no comment on its bearing on the match, I'm just sick of that useless referee getting SPL games and high profile matches. The penalty decision wasnt the only thing he got completely wrong in the final that was significant but to talk about these things would be too much for those that seem to have their own set of rules for the sport.

These things even themselves out in the course of a season, right ? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭RoryMac

These things even themselves out in the course of a season, right ? :D

Maybe it does but we're hardly the only set of fans complaining about the standards of refereeing in the SPL. The below might ring a bell with you
    Two home games where we've been cheated, clear and simple.
    I wonder if anyone from the club will come out against this inept idiot of a ref.

Doubt it, referees must be the only people who you can't criticise for doing a **** job, unless you want to risk facing a ban.

We can go on another 'Old Firm' roundabout of 'you said this, we said that' if you like but it deflects attention away from the obvious problem of the poor standard of refereeing in Scotland.

For the record, I think it would have been an very harsh penalty in the Killie game and thought Collum did quite well throughout the game but decent refereeing performances should be the norm not the exception.

Not saying that at all, the standard of referees is indeed pretty bad.
    All clubs get bad decisions against them, I'm just arguing that in this specific case Collum got it right and that the whole debate about demoting him etc. is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

I would suggest to bring in a referee from a different country for a match like this one on Sunday. He might be much more impartial, much less under pressure

Lars1916 wrote: »
    I would suggest to bring in a referee from a different country for a match like this one on Sunday. He might be much more impartial, much less under pressure

During the "strike" Refs were brought in it wasn't a great success

During the "strike" Refs were brought in it wasn't a great success

I remember that from a far distance. Wasn't that a short term solution?

On the other side, the possibility of Celtic clinching the title next Sunday is not that new, things could be planned well ahead, eg. finding a decent ref from abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Given earlier comments BBE and Jelle might be interested in the following tweet from Anthony Stokes:

@stoksey10: Any1 that thinks I wud dive wen I'm 1 on 1 wit d keeper needs their head checked. So disappointed but we still have so much to play for

Given earlier comments BBE and Jelle might be interested in the following tweet from Anthony Stokes:

@stoksey10: Any1 that thinks I wud dive wen I'm 1 on 1 wit d keeper needs their head checked. So disappointed but we still have so much to play for

I am saying what I said because it's as clear as day he takes two steps plus if he told today was Wednesday I would be checking my calendar :p

I remember that from a far distance. Wasn't that a short term solution?

On the other side, the possibility of Celtic clinching the title next Sunday is not that new, things could be planned well ahead, eg. finding a decent ref from abroad.

It was planned for a while but no why should foreign refs be brought in that does not solve anything long term.
    And its by no means a certainty that Celtic will even have the opportunity to win the league on Sunday

• Advertisement

Not saying that at all, the standard of referees is indeed pretty bad.
    All clubs get bad decisions against them, I'm just arguing that in this specific case Collum got it right and that the whole debate about demoting him etc. is ridiculous.

Agreed we can't call for the end of every refs career when he makes a bad call(we'd have none left) but if nobody highlights the mistakes they do make then the SFA will continue to do nothing about improving the standard.

Nobody said anything about ending a referee's career because of a bad call.

It was planned for a while but no why should foreign refs be brought in that does not solve anything long term.
    And its by no means a certainty that Celtic will even have the opportunity to win the league on Sunday

From what I heard, if Motherwell drops points on Saturday, Celtic can do it with a win ;)

Please don't prove me wrong, I spent a week's salary in the offies yesterday to celebrate :D

From what I heard, if Motherwell drops points on Saturday, Celtic can do it with a win ;)

Please don't prove me wrong, I spent a week's salary in the offies yesterday to celebrate :D

IF is a big word so its by no means a certainty plus you have to beat us :p

IF is a big word so its by no means a certainty plus you have to beat us :p

The last two away wins for us happened, when I was on vacation in Germany. But I brought two six packs of German lager with me. So given that fact, there will be a tight and narrow win for the Bhoys :P

Nobody said anything about ending a referee's career because of a bad call.

Fair enough I overstated it but I don't think demoting refs or not allocating them games after a contentious decision in a game involving Celtic or Rangers will help the situation.

Like so much of Scottish football it needs reforms and training put in place first so that referees can be brought up to a decent standard across the board, with proper reviews of their performances and a pool of referees who can replace the ones not deemed to be meeting the standard.

The last two away wins for us happened, when I was on vacation in Germany. But I brought two six packs of German lager with me. So given that fact, there will be a tight and narrow win for the Bhoys :P

I live there now, hope I jinx it for you :D

RoryMac wrote: »
    Fair enough I overstated it but I don't think demoting refs or not allocating them games after a contentious decision in a game involving Celtic or Rangers will help the situation.

Like so much of Scottish football it needs reforms and training put in place first so that referees can be brought up to a decent standard across the board, with proper reviews of their performances and a pool of referees who can replace the ones not deemed to be meeting the standard.

Happens in other leagues regardless of whos playing. There isnt a need to reinvent the wheel about this, hit referees & linesmen in their pocket when they arent performing to the required standard and they wont be long about upping their game.

Happens in other leagues regardless of whos playing. There isnt a need to reinvent the wheel about this, hit referees & linesmen in their pocket when they arent performing to the required standard and they wont be long about upping their game.

I don't think it would happen in any league after a decision like the Stokes penalty shout on Sunday!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Anyone know how I can post a pic to this thread from my iPhone?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement