Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need some drum kit advice...

Options
  • 11-12-2009 12:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hey guys!! I need some advice from the drumming experts on spending money on a drum kit, if you think you can help, read on...:)

Heres my situation:

I am planning on getting my own drum kit for future gigging. At the moment, I practice and play on my friend's drum kit, its a cheap DXP kit with the heads changed. It sounds decent, but I always find myself complianing that the kit doesn't sound "tight" enough.

Another friend of mine offered me his SONOR 505 kit, which I could modify the way I want as he has given up drumming. Its about 3 years old with standard heads and cheap tin cymbals included:rolleyes:

I was wondering, would it be better to spend 350eur approx. tuning the SONOR with heads, cymbals etc., or should I save my money for a higher model kit??

Just for consideration, I have been playing drums for close to 2 years and I'm currently playing in a band that is writing original songs, with hopefully a gig or 2 next year if all goes well:)

Any help appreciated, Thanks:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

I'm not much of a drumming expert, but I've been playing around 3 years and I have a Sonor Force 505. I reckon you might still think it doesn't sound 'tight' enough, but I haven't upgraded the heads on mine since I've had it. I hear the right heads can radically change a drum. Hell, even a properly tuned drum can be a huge improvement. Could you spend a while with your mates kit tuning it to see what sort of sounds you can get? I got a more experience drummer friend to tune my toms, and they sounded exponentially better afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭BSOM

Hey guys!! I need some advice from the drumming experts on spending money on a drum kit, if you think you can help, read on...:)

Heres my situation:

I am planning on getting my own drum kit for future gigging. At the moment, I practice and play on my friend's drum kit, its a cheap DXP kit with the heads changed. It sounds decent, but I always find myself complianing that the kit doesn't sound "tight" enough.

Another friend of mine offered me his SONOR 505 kit, which I could modify the way I want as he has given up drumming. Its about 3 years old with standard heads and cheap tin cymbals included:rolleyes:

I was wondering, would it be better to spend 350eur approx. tuning the SONOR with heads, cymbals etc., or should I save my money for a higher model kit??

Just for consideration, I have been playing drums for close to 2 years and I'm currently playing in a band that is writing original songs, with hopefully a gig or 2 next year if all goes well:)

Hi Funkee,

IMO, I think you would do well to take the kit and upgrade. REMO or EVANS pack will cost you between €40 - €50. A bass drum head will cost your about the same, in terms of cymbals you can get something like a set of Meinl MCS for €259.00 at the moment. In the pack you get 14" Hi Hats, 14" Classic Crash (Free of Charge), 16" Crash and 20" Ride. Will give you a tasty little kit with all in all.

In terms of the skins, if you can get your hands on some Moongel for dampining do. It shouldnt be more than €10.00.

Best of luck,
    J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Magic Eight Ball

Heres my situation:

You could probably pick up a second hand Sonor Force 2005 for that money, or a Pearl export. Lot's of deals to be had if your willing to buy on-line.

If your mainly using the kit for rock, check out Evens G2 coated skins for the toms.

It always distresses me to see the amount of drummers who can't tune their own drums. Take some pride in your instrument lads!

I know it's not easy, but once you get the hang of it you'll never look back. Use a tension watch to begin with (Tama do a great one)
    http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Tama-TW100-Tension-Watch?sku=440043

It's also a good idea to change your skins every six months.

Advertisement