Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

USA Clearance Shannon Airport - time ?

• 16-04-2014 12:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone

Going form shannon to miami via new york in August of this year (honeymoon, yippee!!)

Flight is on 9am the morning after the after party so was wondering what time i would need to be in shannon to do the clearance with US customs etc.

I ALWAYS gets stopped by immigration in US east coast when i fly there as i have the same name as someone who they dont like :-). I usually have to go into some room for an hour or so while they make sure i am not that guy :-)

will this happen in SHannon also ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭sonyair

From Shannon Airport website
    Reporting Times to US PreclearancePassengers must clear all formalities a minimum of 60 minutes before the scheduled departure time of your flight. Please allow adequate time for this process as failure to report on time may affect your ability to travel.

Don't clear straight away when you have checked in as I think you can't get back to the lounge when your gone through, give yourself a bit more time than the usual 2hrs.

You should not get stopped in Shannon as they check everything once your fingerprints are taken but you never know, but easier on this side than the other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

so check in 2.5 hrs before flight , hang around for a bit and then go through customs around 1.5 hours before flight leaves ? sound ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

If the flight is at 9 you should be at Shannon at 6am by the latest- anytime I've flown to NY everyone was preclearing at about 7.30 for the 9am flight.

If the flight is at 9 you should be at Shannon at 6am by the latest- anytime I've flown to NY everyone was preclearing at about 7.30 for the 9am flight.

ok, thanks for the advice

sorry ,one last question. if precleraing at 7.30 then why be there at 6am ? for the check in queue ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

mickman wrote: »
    sorry ,one last question. if precleraing at 7.30 then why be there at 6am ? for the check in queue ?

Yup. There are security checks/questions in the queues so takes much longer than checking in for a european flight.

ok cool thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,230 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

After pre-clearing you can go back to the lounge. Where else could you wait?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I flew from Snn to EWR a few weeks ago on United, dep Snn at 9am.
    I arrived in Snn at 7am and had plenty of time for initial security check, check-in, security, immigration and the US security which is in addition to Shannon's security.

The fight was full but I think two hours is perfectly adequate to be honest.
    I have travelled a few times with United on that 9am flight and two hours always gave me plenty of time.

Shannon is pretty efficient and at that hour there aren't too many queues.

tippman1 wrote: »
    I arrived in Snn at 7am and had plenty of time for initial security check, check-in, security, immigration and the US security which is in addition to Shannon's security.

I have travelled a few times with United on that 9am flight and two hours always gave me plenty of time.

But what would it be like from 9-12?.
    At 7 am there would only be a queue for 1 us flight, but with 5 (sometimes six with ba) flights, it may be a different story.

Two hours is good for the early flight though. Thats what my father did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 911 ✭✭✭steve-o

Carnacalla wrote: »
    After pre-clearing you can go back to the lounge.
    Not if you actually want to get on your flight.

steve-o wrote: »
    Not if you actually want to get on your flight.

So where do you go then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,559 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Carnacalla wrote: »
    So where do you go then?

Through CBP in to the next to non-existent facilities beyond. If you go back out you're going to have to clear it all again from scratch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

tippman1 wrote: »

Thats not Dublin though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,819 ✭✭✭Comhrá

owenc wrote: »
    Thats not Dublin though

But the OP was asking about Shannon, not Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,524 ✭✭✭owenc

Was he

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

mickman wrote: »
    Hey everyone

Going form Shannon to miami via new york in August of this year (honeymoon, yippee!!)

Flight is on 9am the morning after the after party so was wondering what time i would need to be in shannon to do the clearance with US customs etc.

will this happen in SHannon also ?
    owenc wrote: »
    Was he

He was

In Dublin, once you're through pre-clearance, you've effectively entered the United States. If you need to leave the United States section, on your return you need to re-enter the United States. That means doing all the border stuff again.

We don't allow that on a whim. Once you're in, your only exit is via an aircraft door (assuming no cancellation of course.)

I would imagine it's the same in Shannon. Anyone here who is confusing what they would like to happen (we can go back to the lounges) with what does happen(no we can't) is fooling themselves and giving a disservice to others here.

Unless there's such thing as lounges in the preclearance area in Shannon, you will not be going anywhere near the lounges after preclearance.

In Dublin, once you're through pre-clearance, you've effectively entered the United States. If you need to leave the United States section, on your return you need to re-enter the United States. That means doing all the border stuff again.

We don't allow that on a whim. Once you're in, your only exit is via an aircraft door (assuming no cancellation of course.)

I would imagine it's the same in Shannon. Anyone here who is confusing what they would like to happen (we can go back to the lounges) with what does happen(no we can't) is fooling themselves and giving a disservice to others here.

Unless there's such thing as lounges in the preclearance area in Shannon, you will not be going anywhere near the lounges after preclearance.

BA have a nice area at the gates for their passengers with drinks and stuff.
    I think thats all.
    They should have a shop or something.

Advertisement