Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Now Ye're Talking - To Body Builder Kelly Donegan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

This is very true, but not great for the gut !

Its nickname is the white toxin or the white poison :)

Surely a bit of scrambled eggs is grand.

And Kelly you'll never bag a country lad with that attitude. Bacon spuds cabbage and a pint of milk is a staple dinner down here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭shortie_chik

How did you get introduced to body building?
    How did you get set up with a dedicated coach?
    When you first started serious training, what were your initial goals?

Good luck with the upcoming competition!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

What do you think of the IFBB's decision to close the women's bodybuilding category? It means the FBBs can only compete in physique, which like Bikini and Fitness, penalizes 'excessive muscularity'. It also means that pro FBBing begins to be starved of newcomers to its ranks - only NPC competition winners can get a FBB pro card.

Do you think there's always been an antagonism towards women's bodybuilding (the FBB category) amongst certain people at the top of the IFBB? Or was it dying from lack of interest already?

And who is your favourite FBB of all time? Iris and Lenda have all the titles, but I'd go for Juliette Bergmann. Absolute perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭I'm body builder Kelly Donegan AMA

I have a very eclectic taste in music as a whole, but when i am training i like to listen to pretty intense music.

Very partial to a bit of Rage Against The Machine during a weight training session, but i have been known to dabble with Britney Spears too on occasion haha
    Go hard or go home :)

What do you listen to while working out, if anything?

I personally wouldn't consider eggs a dairy product, i would consider that a protein source and a healthy fat source.

QUOTE=gordongekko;95609589]Surely a bit of scrambled eggs is grand.

And Kelly you'll never bag a country lad with that attitude. Bacon spuds cabbage and a pint of milk is a staple dinner down here :)[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I was very lucky to have known my coach for two years prior to starting with him.
    I was very aware of Bodybuilding in Ireland because of this, but had absolutely no interest in it. Funny enough originally i would have had a negative opinion of the sport and of the physiques. I couldn't comprehend at the time why any woman would go out of their way to get bigger. When i started blogging late in 2013 i became aware of the Bikini class and the american athletes associated with this particular category. My mind was TOTALLY blown by these women. Sexy, strong, hard working and inspiring. It was only from there that i opened my mind to bodybuilding and became more receptive to it.
    January 2014 i decided i was going to finally meet up with my now coach, and make a plan for my first show. As mentioned above i knew my coach Calin Brehaita of Titan Ireland about two years before i started with him. I was aware of his knowledge and experience in the field, he also had a lot of successful girls on his team. As an enthusiastic bodybuilder himself with nothing but passion for the fitness industry, i knew i was in the right hands. It was my intention to do only one show, i genuinely had no idea it would have such a positive impact on my life. I guess my goal at the time was to try something new to get me out of a bad patch in my life.

How did you get introduced to body building?
    How did you get set up with a dedicated coach?
    When you first started serious training, what were your initial goals?

Good luck with the upcoming competition!

Super question and a hot topic at the minute. I personally think that the IFBB are keen to portray a sport that is more commercially acceptable. With people looking at their athletes with admiration and respect. Fans aspiring to have bodies like these athletes.
    The reality is women dont produce testosterone, so women's bodybuilding can only be seen as one thing 'Unnatural'. Don't get me wrong these women who compete within the bodybuilding category are serious athletes. I can only imagine the amount of work they have to put in, the intense training and having to eat ALL THE TIME. Its a huge part of putting on the size, so i am not going to take any credit away from them and their work ethic and commitment.

Its a hugely positive step for the sport in pushing towards a smaller more athletic physique for women's bodybuilding. For example the growing interest in the women's fitness category. Its amazing and a very exciting time for the sport. Woman can grow muscle thats for sure, but these gigantic women are just not a good image for the sport.
    Some people will disagree but that is my opinion. Hats off to them as i know the dedication to be that size must be indescribable. Is it worth it though ? I dont think so.
    I am all for strong, powerful women but there has to be a limit.

Obviously a lot of my favourite athletes would be within the Bikini category. Although i have big interest in athletes like Erin Stern, Oksana Grishina and some of the more muscular bikini type girls like Andrea Brazier etc.

Rumour has it that there are more IFBB Pro's coming from the Uk than any other country at the minute so there you go. There are a lot of new faces coming through the ranks, but the sport is growing so much with every year that its becoming harder and harder to make it to the top and to be noticed.

Duck Soup wrote: »
    What do you think of the IFBB's decision to close the women's bodybuilding category? It means the FBBs can only compete in physique, which like Bikini and Fitness, penalizes 'excessive muscularity'. It also means that pro FBBing begins to be starved of newcomers to its ranks - only NPC competition winners can get a FBB pro card.

Do you think there's always been an antagonism towards women's bodybuilding (the FBB category) amongst certain people at the top of the IFBB? Or was it dying from lack of interest already?

And who is your favourite FBB of all time? Iris and Lenda have all the titles, but I'd go for Juliette Bergmann. Absolute perfection.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 otter13

That is a great question, yes breast implants are very very common in the Bikini class. It is actually very common in all of the female classes within bodybuilding. When you compete your body fat drops extremely low, which means any size or volume you may have is going to disappear. There is no way around it, breasts are made of fat and fat has to go.
    A lot of girls are left feeling very insecure when this happens and usually consider surgery.
    The reality is bodybuilding is about body proportions and having breast implants really adds to the aesthetics of the body. That being said it is a personal choice and nobody is expected to have them. The beautiful Phoebe McVey is an Irish bikini athlete who has taken 1st place with no implants and with implants. If you are the best you are the best.

thanks for the reply! As far as I know and as she claims Jesscia Aravelo doesn't have implants, she is possibly an A/B cup but can really exentuate them in her bikinis. Suppose it is a pity the boobies shrink but the butt makes up for it!

Yes i think you could be right there about Jessica, hers dont have the really round look to them. Look i believe do what makes you happy, whether that means no implants or implants. It would be a really sad shame if women felt they couldn't compete unless they had implants. My opinion is do your research and take the time to think about it. You should never jump into surgery without the right information and mind set. Just because you have a flat chest doesnt mean you cant look out of this world and win a show.

otter13 wrote: »
    thanks for the reply! As far as I know and as she claims Jesscia Aravelo doesn't have implants, she is possibly an A/B cup but can really exentuate them in her bikinis. Suppose it is a pity the boobies shrink but the butt makes up for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭IrishAlice

Hi Kelly, great thread.

What advice would you have for someone who is starting out on their fitness journey?

Would you say a gradual approach is best or is it better to get a good programme and diet plan and start as you mean to go on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭TommyOM

Whatever about the use of steroids, how rampant is the use of Clenbeuterol in women's physique competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Happy Birthday! :D

(Enjoy the turkey)

I think its a totally personal thing, but well done on starting.
    There is two ways to approach this in my opinion you can either improve what you are already doing ie increase water consumption, increase the amount of healthy foods you eat, reduce junk and alcohol, get more active. This is a more relaxed approach, but will definitely have a positive outcome. If you are looking for real results and have a certain goal in mind, then i would suggest making a proper plan. A plan doesnt mean miserable, boring and devoid of any life or fun. Make a plan that you know works with you. The most important thing to do is push yourself, dont be easy on yourself. On the other side be aware of your capabilities, as moderate long term goals and changes are healthier and more effective. Yoyo dieting and extreme diets are a bad idea, and can leave you putting on more weight with metabolic damage. So think what are my long term goals rather than short unrealistic goals.

My true belief is to follow the 80/20 law. 80% Healthy and active / 20% treats and rewards. Life is about balance, but rewards are only received based on effort.

If you are a total newbie and have no idea where to start, why not get yourself informed read health books, buy healthy cook books, check out the net, i like Bodybuilding.com (Not just about bodybuilding) listen to podcasts, watch youtube channels, find some fitspirations. You can also link with a personal trainer if you feel you need the support and guidance. Do your research and dont waste your money. Go to somebody who comes with a lot of great recommendations. Lastly a personal trainer can only give you the tools you have to do the work. With the right mindset and plan you can achieve ANYTHING

IrishAlice wrote: »
    Hi Kelly, great thread.

What advice would you have for someone who is starting out on their fitness journey?

Would you say a gradual approach is best or is it better to get a good programme and diet plan and start as you mean to go on?

Thank you very much

Happy Birthday! :D

(Enjoy the turkey)

As i have mentioned in my previous post i am only really fully aware of my own category which is the Bikini category. Women's physique is a totally different kettle of fish to what i do, the girls would be a lot bigger than i would be with a lot more muscle. I have no doubts that both sexes within the sport abuse chemicals. I think it is great that the sport is leaning away from that negative side of Bodybuilding :)

TommyOM wrote: »
    Whatever about the use of steroids, how rampant is the use of Clenbeuterol in women's physique competitions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,627 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Is there an age limit to body building?

This is actually something i had to go and do some research on.
    I am familiar with the junior category's within the IFBB ( International federation of bodybuilding and fitness ) Which usually range from the age of 16 to 23. These category's seem to look for a much softer aesthetic, rather than a more muscular, hard and dry physique which is usually only acquired through time. Although Junior athletes within the IFBB also have option of competing within both junior classes and standard fitness classes. This class and masters are the only category's which allow this. All other athletes are designated to one class per show.

Check this link out below, something within the sport i was not aware of.
    The World Fitness Championships which takes place once a year, and also a European version. From my brief research it seems to be children from the age of 15 years and younger, who compete within and under their national federation. So would represent their county's at these events. The only category that seems to compete is the fitness class, which involves a routine based on strength, athleticism, gymnastics and rhythm.
    So i would say its more fitness based rather than Bodybuilding

Couldnt include link as a new user, check out the IFBB Childrens European Championships or Children's World Championships

Actually and forgot to mention there is also a masters class.
    So really anyone over the age of 16 can take part in Bodybuilding shows

This is actually something i had to go and do some research on.
    I am familiar with the junior category's within the IFBB ( International federation of bodybuilding and fitness ) Which usually range from the age of 16 to 23. These category's seem to look for a much softer aesthetic, rather than a more muscular, hard and dry physique which is usually only acquired through time. Although Junior athletes within the IFBB also have option of competing within both junior classes and standard fitness classes. This class and masters are the only category's which allow this. All other athletes are designated to one class per show.

Check this link out below, something within the sport i was not aware of.
    The World Fitness Championships which takes place once a year, and also a European version. From my brief research it seems to be children from the age of 15 years and younger, who compete within and under their national federation. So would represent their county's at these events. The only category that seems to compete is the fitness class, which involves a routine based on strength, athleticism, gymnastics and rhythm.
    So i would say its more fitness based rather than Bodybuilding

Couldnt include link as a new user, check out the IFBB Childrens European Championships or Children's World Championships

And is there an upper one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Still competing?

• Advertisement

No i cant imagine i will be competing in 10 years, and its a great question to ask since i turned 26 yesterday. Birthdays are always a time of reflection and ideas, a time where you think about the future and what is to come. I see myself still working within the fitness and wellness industry, there is actually a project i am launching the end of this year that i reckon i will still be doing at 36. I have never been one to conform to the norms of life, so its hard for me to say oh i see myself with a house, children and a husband. I could be in Mongolia living with monks. I could possibly see myself competing for the next three or four years, all depending on work. It really takes 100% dedication and cant be half arsed. I would however love to set up a charity promoting health and fitness in Ireland. I dont think there are enough organisations in Ireland that help and support people, especially children. With the growing levels of obesity, heart attacks and strokes i think there is a real need for an informative, inspiring and contemporary organisation. I would really love to sink my teeth into a project like that into the future, something that actually helps people

Taboola wrote: »
    Where do you see yourself in 10 years time? Still competing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I see you workout twice a day with cardio workouts in the morning.

What does a normal cardio session consist of? What's your favourite / least favourite cardio exercise and which cardio exercise gives you the best return in terms of burning body fat/looking lean without effecting your muscle volume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Heat_Wave

Is it true women stop menstruating when their body reaches below a certain body fat %?

I was training for a fitness modelling competition about 2 years ago and was advised by my doctor to stop because she felt it was dangerous for women to train to that level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,924 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Heat_Wave wrote:
    Is it true women stop menstruating when their body reaches below a certain body fat %?

I thought that said something else the 1st time I read it.

I thought that said something else the 1st time I read it.

I've re-read it several times now and cannot figure out what you thought it said ! :)

Heat_Wave wrote: »
    I've re-read it several times now and cannot figure out what you thought it said ! :)

To put it bluntly - masterbating! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I'm gonna take a guess and say they saw masturbating rather than menstruating?

God I am so naive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Have you had any injuries and how do you cope with it? Mentally as well as physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Clairebear17

What do you eat day to day ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,947 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

God I am so naive.

I hope I'm correct or I'll look like the weirdo.

I tend to do a lot of steady state cardio, typically very early in the morning before breakfast. I have found this to suit me very well as i have very severe asthma, so i find high intensity cardio sessions too tough. Its all about personal preference and i only do cardio close to a competition. The rest of the time i focus on weights which i think should always be the focus, unless you are a runner etc

I see you workout twice a day with cardio workouts in the morning.

What does a normal cardio session consist of? What's your favourite / least favourite cardio exercise and which cardio exercise gives you the best return in terms of burning body fat/looking lean without effecting your muscle volume.

I eat every 2.5 - 3 hours eating clean and healthy foods. It all depends what time of year it is, if i am in my off season my diet will be way more varied it will also include a cheat meal once or twice a week. Getting ready for a show my diet is very restricted, white protein sources and green vegetables, and healthy carbs. The diet regularly changes based on progress and goals. The entire process is a very personal thing, everybody involved in the sport will approach things differently.

What do you eat day to day ??

Yes it is true, when your bodyfat gets low enough your menstrual cycle tends to be affected. People need to keep in mind its an extreme sport and there are always going to be risks involved. I have found my body has adapted to the changes in my diet over the last year, and i always monitor my health.

I was training for a fitness modelling competition about 2 years ago and was advised by my doctor to stop because she felt it was dangerous for women to train to that level.

No i have never had any injuries as a direct result of Bodybuilding. It is so important to work with a coach that is highly experienced in the field, as technique is absolutely crucial in avoiding injuries. I have had injuries prior to bodybuilding which can be annoying, you tend to have to work around the problem. I tore a ligament in my knee a couple of years back and still have trouble with it still to this day. If something puts to much pressure on it, i simply avoid that particular exercise or machine. Mentally i think it comes down to having a big dream as well as a solid plan. I love challenging myself and the rush i get from it is indescribable. Dont get me wrong i have bad days just like everybody else, but i just suck it up and try to stay focused. I think you have to really want something to make it happen
    cbyrd wrote: »
    Have you had any injuries and how do you cope with it? Mentally as well as physically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Firstly, I'm quite impressed. You look great.
    You actually remind me of a cross between a former professional wrestler Trish Stratus and as mentioned, Kelly from Saved by the Bell.

I think I read earlier on that you said bodybuilding isn't that popular in Ireland or rather it's not evolved enough to have it as popular as in other countries.
    I've seen many strongmen from the UK and a few from Ireland. I understand it's a completely different sport.
    But given how it does seem to have a success, for example, Britain's Strongest Man contest, what would you imagine would give the bodybuilding scene in Ireland greater recognition so that someone like yourself would be seen as a legitimate competitor and not just an amaetur or hobbyist*

*I'm not saying you're either of those but I'm going by you saying that anyone who does bodybuilding is seen as one of them since Ireland is behind in the sport.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I really wouldn't class bodybuilding or bikini modeling as sports to begin with. There competitive yes, but there's no athleticism required, there beauty pageants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

I really wouldn't class bodybuilding or bikini modeling as sports to begin with. There competitive yes, but there's no athleticism required, there beauty pageants.

A here. All the athleticism required occurs in the training which you don't see. Its definitely a sport.

fizzypish wrote: »
    A here. All the athleticism required occurs in the training which you don't see. Its definitely a sport.

Listen I love bodybuilding training myself, I'm not knocking it, it is the best form of training to transform your body astectically. Lets be honest though, there's not a very high level of athleticism involved in it.

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know, relying on ped's like a crutch, wrecking havoc on their body's.

Anybody can go into a gym and lift weights. What makes good bodybuilders good, is there dedication and commitment to the cause, this is what seperares them from the average lifter, not their athletic ability, there's a very low level required to partake. Even the most complex of exercises such as the dead lift can be mastered fairly fast by anyone with a minimal fitness level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know

Really? I find that hard to believe. Bodybuilding may not have the same level of athleticism as Gymnastics for example, but they're still fit. To say they're some of the unfittest people you know has to be an exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

mufcboy1999 if you don't have a question for Kelly, can I suggest you take the sport or not sport discussion to the Strength and Strength Sports forum?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Since when is athleticism a requirement for something to be considered a sport? Snooker, golf, darts, cricket say hello.

Well i it like any other sport, there are people who will always compete at an amateur level either because they love doing it or because they don't have the standards or opportunities to become a professional. I think on the whole the sport of Bodybuilding is getting a lot more attention with fitness becoming topical and trendy. Places like Instagram and Twitter are glamorizing fitness, which in my opinion is great. Its become cool to be involved in fitness and to lift weights or take part in yoga. It seems to take between 3 & 5 years for trends in the USA to influence Ireland on a large scale. I know Bodybuilding has been around for decades, but with the introduction of smaller more realistic category's i think the industry and interest is going to continue to grow and strengthen. I think individuals who participate on an amateur will start to look further a field to take part in shows, where they could potentially get their hands on a pro card. I can see it happening now, plus the standards in the country seem to be really growing which is needed to make it at a pro level. A big issue is that the sport has exploded recently making it even tougher to turn professional, as the number of competitors is just out of this world.

I think we have to give credit to anybody who participates in bodybuilding, i actually in fact have MORE respect for individuals who do it on an amateur level. These people compete with ZERO support, the expenses involved in competing at an amateur level is just nuts and the sheer love of the sport drives them to continue. Its really admirable, at least professionals have big sponsorship's and can work full time in the industry. The rest just grind day in and day out to try and make it as a champion.

Firstly, I'm quite impressed. You look great.
    You actually remind me of a cross between a former professional wrestler Trish Stratus and as mentioned, Kelly from Saved by the Bell.

I think I read earlier on that you said bodybuilding isn't that popular in Ireland or rather it's not evolved enough to have it as popular as in other countries.
    I've seen many strongmen from the UK and a few from Ireland. I understand it's a completely different sport.
    But given how it does seem to have a success, for example, Britain's Strongest Man contest, what would you imagine would give the bodybuilding scene in Ireland greater recognition so that someone like yourself would be seen as a legitimate competitor and not just an amaetur or hobbyist*

*I'm not saying you're either of those but I'm going by you saying that anyone who does bodybuilding is seen as one of them since Ireland is behind in the sport.

Great point and i am actually going to adopt that comment when people tell me bodybuilding isnt a sport. As i seem to get that a lot, which can be very frustrating for me. People dont seem to be willing to give it the credit it deserves.

Thanks for that

Since when is athleticism a requirement for something to be considered a sport? Snooker, golf, darts, cricket say hello.

Your opinion genuinely amazes me and actually is quite frustrating for me to hear, and i am really sorry for you that you feel that way. Like others down to very little knowledge about the sport. If you could only see the hours and hours spent in the gym, or doing cardio you would change your opinion very quickly. Unfortunately bodybuilding doesn't get the credit it deserves, as people only see the show day which involves the tan, bikini and stage posing. That is the tiniest part of the sport. 98% is physical endeavors to get you to that stage. People seem to be very closed minded about it, probably because of the small attire required for the day. That however is an essential part of it, how else can you show the muscle development on the body? The public sometimes see it as sexualistation but when you are involved, each athlete across all category's have nothing but respect for each other as they know the amount of physical work that they have put in. As one of the guys said here, since when is athleticism involved in sport Golf, darts, snooker etc. The funny thing is its probably the toughest sport you could be involved in, and definitely has the most grueling diet plans to go along with it.

I urge you to try and do a bodybuilding plan for even two weeks, you would soon realize the amount of training involved. 6 am workouts for 120 minutes, eating every 2.5 hours back in the evening for another 105 minutes of exercise. Limited diet, exhaustion, the mental strength required to follow through. No social life. You would soon change your mind that its not a sport

Thank you great that people see how much work is involved
    fizzypish wrote: »

Yes everybody can lift weights, but how many people do you see at the gym who are just average gym goers, they might train twice a week three times if lucky. Could be a member of a gym for three years and never really look that different.
    The reality is sports and physical activity is for everyone, just like football, tennis and even darts. Its when people take it to a competitive level that i believe it becomes a sport and what makes those individuals an athlete. i would like to see 1% of people put in the work that i do. I think because its associated with aesthetics it gets a bad rep and people are less receptive to it. That being said all people who take anything to a competitive level deserve respect and credit.

I played hockey for years, which is ''considered'' a sport. Yet the amount of work both physical and mental associated with Bodybuilding has absolutely NO comparison. I trained with my hockey team two afternoons a week, which involved a lot of sprints. Then we usually had one match on a Sunday for 45 minutes. So 2 hours and 45 minutes of playing hockey a week gets the sport merit over training twice a day for Bodybuilding, which typically in contrast involves 24 hours a week training. Bodybuilding you are also on diet 24/7 no days off. I dont even think i need to put a conclusion on the above statement.

Again i find it very sad that people see it only as bikini modelling. Race car drivers, darts players, horse racers get the credit why not bodybuilders ?

Listen I love bodybuilding training myself, I'm not knocking it, it is the best form of training to transform your body astectically. Lets be honest though, there's not a very high level of athleticism involved in it.

I know bodybuilders and bikini models who compete and they are some of the unfittest and non athletic people I know, relying on ped's like a crutch, wrecking havoc on their body's.

Anybody can go into a gym and lift weights. What makes good bodybuilders good, is there dedication and commitment to the cause, this is what seperares them from the average lifter, not their athleticic ability, there's a very low level required to partake. Even the most complex of exercises such as the dead lift can be mastered fairly fast by anyone with a minimal fitness level.

There is all types of fitness, not just explosive strength or the ability to run for a long period of time. Physical endeavor is physical endeavor

Really? I find that hard to believe. Bodybuilding may not have the same level of athleticism as Gymnastics for example, but they're still fit. To say they're some of the unfittest people you know has to be an exaggeration.

Your opinion genuinely amazes me and actually is quite frustrating for me to hear, and i am really sorry for you that you feel that way. Like others down to very little knowledge about the sport. If you could only see the hours and hours spent in the gym, or doing cardio you would change your opinion very quickly. Unfortunately bodybuilding doesn't get the credit it deserves, as people only see the show day which involves the tan, bikini and stage posing. That is the tiniest part of the sport. 98% is physical endeavors to get you to that stage. People seem to be very closed minded about it, probably because of the small attire required for the day. That however is an essential part of it, how else can you show the muscle development on the body? The public sometimes see it as sexualistation but when you are involved, each athlete across all category's have nothing but respect for each other as they know the amount of physical work that they have put in. As one of the guys said here, since when is athleticism involved in sport Golf, darts, snooker etc. The funny thing is its probably the toughest sport you could be involved in, and definitely has the most grueling diet plans to go along with it.

I urge you to try and do a bodybuilding plan for even two weeks, you would soon realize the amount of training involved. 6 am workouts for 120 minutes, eating every 2.5 hours back in the evening for another 105 minutes of exercise. Limited diet, exhaustion, the mental strength required to follow through. No social life. You would soon change your mind that its not a sport

To be honest Kelly like I said I actually love bodybuilding training for its aesthetic benefits. I'm qualified to a degree in personal training and have worked in gyms before as well as knowing several people who compete, I know the ins and outs of the drugs that are involved in 90% of competitors, true natural bodybuilding is pretty much non existent. That's why I said those who compete are some of the most unhealthiest people I know, don't ever judge a book by its cover just because someone looks in good condition externally, that same person isn't exactly doing his organs any good internally.

I know my opinion is harsh, but its true. I've seen bikini models like yourself take every drug under the sun as well as litirally starving themselves in the process. It wrecks complete havoc on their bodys metabolism and hormones, all to pose on a stage, where no physical exertion is required to compete, just posing, hence me saying it's more like a beauty pageant than a sport. Don't be so foolish to think that's there's not an elite level of skill and technique involved in sports such as golf, such levels that are not required for bikini modeling or bodybuilding.

I'm 85kg, 5"11 and 10 ℅ body fat, I've been in and out of gyms since I was 14. This is not a bandwagon I've jumped on kelly, health and fitness is a genuine passion of mine. I've never lived a talifornia or jersey shore lifestyle promoting the exact opposite of what your trying to preach now. I lift weights 5 to 6 times per week, cardio, flexabilty etc all included in a very intense, well balanced program as well as playing sports. I don't find my diet a struggle because it's not temporary, hence me being able to maintain or improve my body comp without ever having to go through this bulking and cutting rubbish thats in all honesty promoting the typical crash diet.

I'm sorry to come off strong, but the vast majority of people interested in these competions have been brainwashed into thinking that these physiques on display are healthy and attainable naturally, that all these pro bodybuilders, bikini models get their results through diet and supplements, its for the best part complete and utter rubbish.

A women like yourself full off estrogen naturally being able to hit low levels of body fat, do you think that's healthy without damaging your body? I know of girls who mess with your usuals such as clenbutoral or even mild androgens such as anavar to get stage contest lean because they come to the realization that most pro bikini model physiques are not relistic and maintainable goals without some sort of aid e.g. drugs of some kind.

The reason why amatuer bodybuilding and bikini modeling doesnt the get respect you think it deserves is because the industry as a whole is fake, a narcissistic culture, full of people doing it for the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,424 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think this perception comes back to the debate which is whether activities where the outcome is determined by the opinion of another (i.e. gymnastics, bodybuilding, ice skating, etc) can be deemed to be equivalent to an activity where the individual/team can determine the outcome (i.e. driving faster, scoring more running faster, lifting more etc).

If you can finish the activity and know that your effort will make you the winner/loser - then it tends to get deemed a sport. However, if you rely on the opinion of another then is it still a sport or does it shift into 'performanace arts'?

Adding to this, there are those who would not deem snooker, darts, bowls, etc to be sports but would define them as games, i.e. physical exertion and determinable outcome = sport.

I can see both sides of the debate, but I think it to say there is no athleticism is nonsense. In sport you train to your requirements. Long distance runners etc would have a very poor level of strength, but high cardio levels. Those in the bodybuilding and strength fields are the opposite. They are all classed as atheletes. Lifting heavier, further, higher, for longer are sporting events that date way back into history. Simialr with running etc. They are the oldest forms of sport.

In the actual competition, yes perhaps you can say that is it showing off your figure, but to get to that point requires much more dedication, dietary adherence, and commitment that many other traditinoal 'sports'. Does everything have to be pigeonholed?

However, please lets not sidetrack what has been a great AMA.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement