Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

1327328329330331333»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Let's not pretend we did better than Arsenal when it's all weighed up is the point. World Class players that can define your starting 11 >>> squad additions.

Sakho is regarded by many as world class. Give some of our new players a chance to play before you write them all off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

K-9 wrote: »
    You'd have taken an Ozil or Wilian signing over Sakho, Ilori and Moses? I suppose hipster type signings go down with the demanding, Sky Sports Breaking News type fan.

An Ozil type signing next year when Suarez goes, yep, no doubt, not now when everybody was screaming about CB's and DM's and how poor Reina was, no. We've a limited budget, we can't make huge profits on what we've got to sell, you'd be up in arms if Suarez was sold, we can't afford luxury signings.

It isn't about finances, I don't care if we do splash £30-40 Million on a marquee signing, I do care if that means we spent zilch on other areas of the pitch that need addressing now.
    Jason Todd wrote: »
    Do you have to be so condescending? Like there was ever a chance he'd come to us. And people were laughing at the link to Mata... we hadn't a hope at Ozil. I know you said 'if you had a choice', but we were never going to have that, and it shouldn't be used to belittle the 'squad filler' and 'couple of upgrades' we did get. This has been both a very good start to the season and a good transfer window all things considered.

:rolleyes:

Yes, I didn't start it
    klose wrote: »
    Ozil is a great signing for em, cant wait to see him in the pl and would love to sign him but i dont see why your ever mentioning him in regards to us, he was never gonna come to us. For what its worth, ozil isint what arsenal need, a serious injury to giroud/arteta and they are ****ed, theyve a very light squad considering their in the cl. Cazorla is wasted out wide too

The question / comparison was posed. I am responding to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,977 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

So, what's our best starting 11 now?

LCB is one of the bigger conundrums i think, with Agger and Sakho squaring up. With Agger having more experience, and his more fluid style of play, i'd be inclined to try Agger at RCB.

Against most opposition, where we have a lot of possession, I expect to see something like;

Sturridge
    Moses---Coutinho----Suarez
    Lucas---Gerrard
    Enrique----Sakho
    Agger
    Johnson
    Mignolet

Against the top 4 or 5 teams, and some tougher away games, would have Henderson in for Coutinho, maybe Sakho to left back, Agger LCB and Toure RCB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Sakho and Moses are squad fillers? Pretty sure they'll both be in our starting XI before long. Even the rest are hardly "filler" improving as they do on what was a squad with plenty of dross.

Recent that Skittles will not last so long with us...have a feeling he will be gone soon enough.
    Agger on the other hand will stick around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭Paulegend

~Rebel~ wrote: »

LCB is one of the bigger conundrums i think, with Agger and Sakho squaring up. With Agger having more experience, and his more fluid style of play, i'd be inclined to try Agger at RCB.

Against most opposition, where we have a lot of possession, I expect to see something like;

Sturridge
    Lucas---Gerrard
    Enrique----Sakho
    Agger
    Johnson
    Mignolet

Against the top 4 or 5 teams, and some tougher away games, would have Henderson in for Coutinho, maybe Sakho to left back, Agger LCB and Toure RCB.

agger is done. he needs to earn his place in the team now. if gerrard showed the same form as him id say the same about him. reina was in poor form the last couple of years like agger and was replaced. now agger will be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Mickalus

~Rebel~ wrote: »

Sturridge
    Lucas---Gerrard
    Enrique----Sakho
    Agger
    Johnson
    Mignolet

I wonder if a 3-4-3 might be attempted

Sturridge--Suarez

Coutinho
    -Hendo----Lucas---Gerrard---Johnson
    Agger
    Sakho
    Toure
    Mignolet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Toure for me has to start as the rcb
    he was our best defender in the 3 games he played

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

9969 posts. Slacking lads, slacking. Positivity means less posts. Stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

One way to deal with the CB issue could be three at the back

The Mig
    Toure--Agger---Sakho
    Lucas
    Johnson
    Enrique
    Hendo----Gerrard
    Suarez
    Sturridge

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

MD1990 wrote: »
    Toure for me has to start as the rcb
    he was our best defender in the 3 games he played

Anyone heard anything on Toures injury?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

gafferino wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything on Toures injury?
    Rodgers said last week if he didnt make Utd he should be back after International break

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    9969 posts. Slacking lads, slacking. Positivity means less posts. Stop it.

I am trying to do better than the poor 17 posts I had in the last thread! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I am trying to do better than the poor 17 posts I had in the last thread! :P

Where can you see that stat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

sake, another thread bites the dust. Too much optimism in this thread anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

gafferino wrote: »
    Where can you see that stat?

In the soccer forum itself, click on the number of replies and a window will pop up showing post counts for the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,283 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I'd have taken OZIL. Ozil, you know that ****ing world class German wizard who would become automatically our second best player and one of our best signings of the past 20 years (up there all time tbh).

You get a chance at a player like that you take it. So, yes, if it was a choice of standing pat and bringing him on in or signing a bunch of squad filler and a couple of upgrades I'd have gone the former route.

And if we had just signed ozil you would be on here cribbing about not enough depth in the squad. Theres no winning with you Lloyd you are a total pessimist. The club, rodgers cant do right in your eyes. Everytime a story breaks your comments are utterly predictable.

In the soccer forum itself, click on the number of replies and a window will pop up showing post counts for the thread.

Beat me too it...also I think someone posted it up on the first page of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Beat me too it...also I think someone posted it up on the first page of this thread?

Ah I can't be expected to remember back six days ago. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

:rolleyes: Yes, I didn't start it.

Oh you precious flower. :rolleyes:

Look at the players we signed over the last 5 years, we don't need an Ozil, we need a squad and first team replacement job, and spending it all on one player is a huge gamble.

Up to January this year our success rate at signings was appalling, signing 1 marquee signing solves nothing other than appease some fans notion that we are a big club who should be spending £35 Million on Willian like Chelsea can.

We signed Aquilani, Carroll, Downing, Borini, Cole, Konchesky, Poulson, Jova, Coates, just to give an idea of players who went out on loan or surplus to requirements. We spent about £50 Million on Allen, Henderson and Johnson, who wasn't worth the money, and yeah Portsmouth and all that shyte.

We signed Suarez in that fcucking time, that's about all that would make us money. Time for a reality grip on this thread, fcuking on about Ozil and Mata, I know why we get called delusional, no CL in 4 years, 7/8th places, Cup finals acceptable, fecking joke shop.

Rafa signings like Reina, Agger and Skrtel that never delivered value they should have. Thank God a lot of this shyte is being found out.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ah I can't be expected to remember back six days ago. :pac:

Exact same as myself....if I miss a few days then I feel like I am out of the loop and in-jokes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Serious defensive options.

LB - Enrique, Cissokho, Johnson
    RB - Kelly, Wisdom, Johnson
    CB - Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Ilori, Sakho

Honestly I think any team with limited resources like ourselves is built on defense first and foremost. Those are wonderful options with which we should be able to always field a very strong defensive unit. I think we showed against United that even without having much attacking flair we can still grind out results on that basis.

Hopefully kicking on from that United game our attacking options will improve hugely over the coming weeks. Sturridge fit, Coutinho to start firing, Henderson continuing to improve and two players in Suarez/Moses to add to our options.

I'd agree with others looking at all that above now that another CM option is really where we could have done with adding a player. Window could have been better but I think for various reasons fortifying our defense will have a much greater positive impact over the course of the season than signing that marquee forward player considering we picked up a decent option in Moses on loan as some middle ground. Hard as I've tried, I find it very hard to not be quite optimistic about things.

Oh and Brendan, I may have been a bit snide earlier but you pulled off that suit something serious :pac: Great to see himself and Kenny having a good laugh together. Struggle to remember the last time I was in such good form thinking about Liverpool related things, long may it continue.

Opr

Look at the players we signed over the last 5 years, we don't need an Ozil, we need a squad and first team replacement job, and spending it all on one player is a huge gamble.

Up to January this year our success rate at signings was appalling, signing 1 marquee signing solves nothing other than appease some fans notion that we are a big club who should be spending £35 Million on Willian like Chelsea can.

We signed Aquilani, Carroll, Downing, Borini, Cole, Konchesky, Poulson, Jova, Coates, just to give an idea of players who went out on loan or surplus to requirements. We spent about £50 Million on Allen, Henderson and Johnson, who wasn't worth the money, and yeah Portsmouth and all that shyte.

We signed Suarez in that fcucking time, that's about all that would make us money. Time for a reality grip on this thread, fcuking on about Ozil and Mata, I know why we get called delusional, no CL in 4 years, 7/8th places, Cup finals acceptable, fecking joke shop.

Rafa signings like Reina, Agger and Skrtel that never delivered value they should have. Thank God a lot of this shyte is being found out.

I agree mostly...I think we should never have a world class player for long because look at what is happening with Suarez...no CL and then someone will come knocking. I don't want that every time - thinking how can we replace him, he's cost us 20-30 goals a season.

I must rather a well-driven team of above average players who work well together so that we are never stuck for options if other clubs come calling. I think it makes good marketing sense too which is what the board are all about now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

GavRedKing wrote: »
    New thread, old thread here : http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056999951&page=668

Enjoy it, they way you guys go through threads there'll be a new one in about 6 weeks.

3 and a half weeks. Bloody hell, I remember when this was all fields and we went through about 3 threads a season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Still no idea what you are trying to say in this post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd rather excellent squad depth than one or two great 11 players and the rest ****. I'd much rather what we did this summer than sign Ozil and keep carragher. We lost the battle for 4th last season because our defense was gash, not because we couldn't score. Skrtel **** up vs city at home, Rein'as **** up away, Benteke bullying our defenders at home, Lukaku doing it home and Long doing it away, Jones and Walters bullying us a stoke on boxing day, falling to pieces at Southampton. There are certainly games we could/should have scored in but we were let down by are defence far more than our attack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Also, I wish Henry and Co used the imposter line for when Comolli was offering £35m for Andy Carroll.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Ok, boys and girls - near 10,000 posts and in 17 days. New thread on its way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement