Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overgrown lake / pond

Options
  • 05-05-2010 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hey

My parents have a small lake ( less than an acre) on their land which has nearly being over grown with reeds.
    It is in a boggy area and I think it may be silting up also.

Is there any type of spray out there that would kill these reeds which would not effect the rudd that live in the lake?

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

To be honest if this is to be done chemically then nobody can answer this without knowing what type of reed is involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I've no experience in this area, but I'll share my thougthts for what its worth
    If it is silting will it need mechanical cleaning? If so, wouldn't this do a job on the reeds. With care the Rudd would probably manage the intervention.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mothman wrote: »
    I've no experience in this area, but I'll share my thougthts for what its worth
    If it is silting will it need mechanical cleaning? If so, wouldn't this do a job on the reeds. With care the Rudd would probably manage the intervention.

Any chemicals that you use that are strong enough to get rid of the reeds will kill off the rudd.

Would imagine a mechanical dredging would decimate the rudd also, unless very carefully done in sections.

Quite often with lakes/ponds the size of what your oparents have, there is a small feeder stream which has been helping to silt up the lake.

If it is a man made lake, then it may have a monk in it at it's deepest point, and may need draining to safely get to the silt. Another potential problem is if it has mature trees around it, as this can increase the danger.

You would need to access all possibilities and know for sure if it is natural or man made, and if it is being fed by a stream.

Do you mind me asking what colour are the fins on the rudd? Dark orange or a vivid red? The latter is a sign of very health water.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭dermo f

Kess73 wrote: »
    Any chemicals that you use that are strong enough to get rid of the reeds will kill off the rudd.

Would imagine a mechanical dredging would decimate the rudd also, unless very carefully done in sections.

Quite often with lakes/ponds the size of what your oparents have, there is a small feeder stream which has been helping to silt up the lake.

If it is a man made lake, then it may have a monk in it at it's deepest point, and may need draining to safely get to the silt. Another potential problem is if it has mature trees around it, as this can increase the danger.

You would need to access all possibilities and know for sure if it is natural or man made, and if it is being fed by a stream.

Do you mind me asking what colour are the fins on the rudd? Dark orange or a vivid red? The latter is a sign of very health water.

Hi
    you are spot on there. Theres is indeed a small feeder stream and stream going out of it. I'd say both of these would need to be cleaned out also.
    It's not a man made lake it and there are no mature trees around it, as it is on really boggy land.

Im not really sure about the fin colour I think they are a reddisah colour last time I fished for them

Thanks

Advertisement