Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist Organisations or Groups

• 19-11-2013 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if contributors to this section of Boards are affiliated with any groups or organisations that revolve around atheism or agnosticism. I'd be interested in hearing what groups and what purpose you believe they serve.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

There's a couple of Atheist Ireland and Humanist Association of Ireland members I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

There's a couple of Atheist Ireland and Humanist Association of Ireland members I think.
    Had assumed a few maybe members of the former. Contemplating joining Atheist Ireland but I would imagine members would be quite scarce in the north west and I may be unable to travel. For that reason I'm not sure getting involved would be pointless in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Had assumed a few maybe members of the former. Contemplating joining Atheist Ireland but I would imagine members would be quite scarce in the north west and I may be unable to travel. For that reason I'm not sure getting involved would be pointless in that regard.
    There are some Atheist Ireland members who hold a Secular Sunday brunch in Sligo every month. Contact regional at atheist dot ie for details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

No I'm not a member of any group. With all appropriate respect to Michael Nugent and atheist ireland (and I do fully support a secularist agenda, and a total separation of church and state), I find the notion of being in a club of 'not something' to be a bit silly. I posted a longer explanation in another forum, along the lines of: I have no interest in football. I neither play nor watch it. Other peoples interest in football doesn't affect me at all, unless they insist on talking about it or force me to watch it. I'm certainly not going go join a group of people to meet with the express purpose of 'not playing or watching football'. That would be silly. My atheism is of the passive sort. I don't believe in a deity. On the other hand, I certainly don't go around trying harder to believe less. Atheism doesn't occupy me much at all. About as much as practising my duck calling and crochet. It's just one of the many, many things that I am not. I'm an atheist, an afootballist, an acrochetist, an aduckcallist...

To tell the truth, I only post on this forum because the quality of banter (and the clarity of expression and civility of debate) is notably higher than it is in many other places. Plus, we talk about biscuits. Although, I have slackened off from A&A for the last couple of months....

We do still talk about biscuits, don't we?!?!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Well, we're coming into the stollen season now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

endacl wrote: »
    No I'm not a member of any group. With all appropriate respect to Michael Nugent and atheist ireland (and I do fully support a secularist agenda, and a total separation of church and state), I find the notion of being in a club of 'not something' to be a bit silly. I posted a longer explanation in another forum, along the lines of: I have no interest in football. I neither play nor watch it. Other peoples interest in football doesn't affect me at all, unless they insist on talking about it or force me to watch it. I'm certainly not going go join a group of people to meet with the express purpose of 'not playing or watching football'. That would be silly. My atheism is of the passive sort. I don't believe in a deity. On the other hand, I certainly don't go around trying harder to believe less. Atheism doesn't occupy me much at all. About as much as practising my duck calling and crochet. It's just one of the many, many things that I am not. I'm an atheist, an afootballist, an acrochetist, an aduckcallist...

To tell the truth, I only post on this forum because the quality of banter (and the clarity of expression and civility of debate) is notably higher than it is in many other places. Plus, we talk about biscuits. Although, I have slackened off from A&A for the last couple of months....

Why is it that some (atheist) people find atheist organisations so objectionable that they feel the need to write a couple of hundred words objecting even to the existence of an such a organisation?

Every time there is a thread about atheist organisations there is always someone out there who proclaims that such things somehow infringe on their sensibilities as a 'true atheist'. I don't get this. If you think that atheist organisations are silly, why would you post in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Why is it that some (atheist) people find atheist organisations so objectionable that they feel the need to write a couple of hundred words objecting even to the existence of an such a organisation?

Every time there is a thread about atheist organisations there is always someone out there who proclaims that such things somehow infringe on their sensibilities as a 'true atheist'. I don't get this. If you think that atheist organisations are silly, why would you post in this thread?

That's not what I said. Cool your jets.

I post here because of the biscuits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

To be completely fair I was initially looking to see if anyone objected to such groups and if so, why they did.

I personally think an Atheist organisation justifies itself, especially in Ireland. For that reason I would be interested in getting more information and will send a few emails. However, let the contributions continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

Honestly, I do not see the need or the point of an atheist organisation. I have, for some time now, considered myself atheist, in that I do not believe in God, Buddah, Allah, whoever the hell.

Is there something else to being an atheist that I do not know about and am missing out on?? I mean, what do they talk about when they get together? "So, no God, eh? Yeah. Right on". !! ????????

Like the OP, I too, would be interested in what purpose people think these organisations serve.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with like-minded people getting together, I just fail to understand why, in this case.

I think it is part of the dogma of “not-a-member-of-a-club-about-nothing-atheists” that they have to assert this after anybody mentions an atheist group.

It is like the Responsorial Psalms in Mass.

But it would be okay if the atheist group talked about biscuits. :D

• Advertisement

Honestly, I do not see the need or the point of an atheist organisation. I have, for some time now, considered myself atheist, in that I do not believe in God, Buddah, Allah, whoever the hell.

Is there something else to being an atheist that I do not know about and am missing out on?? I mean, what do they talk about when they get together? "So, no God, eh? Yeah. Right on". !! ????????

Like the OP, I too, would be interested in what purpose people think these organisations serve.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with like-minded people getting together, I just fail to understand why, in this case.
    And, with a slight revision….

Honestly, I do not see the need or the point of an atheism and agnosticism Internet forum. I have, for some time now, considered myself atheist, in that I do not believe in God, Buddah, Allah, whoever the hell.

Is there something else to being an atheist that I do not know about and am missing out on?? I mean, what do they talk about when they post on the atheism and agnosticism forum? "So, no God, eh? Yeah. Or I don't know. Right on". !! ????????

Like the OP, I too, would be interested in what purpose people think these Internet forums serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 905 ✭✭✭StompToWork

OI!! Get yer own bloody post!!!

;)

OI!! Get yer own bloody post!!!

;)
    Honestly, I do not see the need or the point of telling me to get my own post :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 966 ✭✭✭equivariant

That's not what I said. Cool your jets.

I post here because of the biscuits.

Hmmm.... but ....

PS My jets are fine

Advertisement