Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Capel street bike stand

• 15-07-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭

Motors doesn't seem to have a "bitch/rant/moan thread" but if it did I would post this in it.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/07/14/new-bike-stand-capel-street-dublin/#comment-223603

Does anyone else find everything about this needlessly confrontational. Its specifically designed to take up a parking space, designed like a car, presumably to make a joke at drivers expense.

I just think its damn immature.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

errlloyd wrote: »
    Motors doesn't seem to have a "bitch/rant/moan thread" but if it did I would post this in it.

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/07/14/new-bike-stand-capel-street-dublin/#comment-223603

Does anyone else find everything about this needlessly confrontational. Its specifically designed to take up a parking space, designed like a car, presumably to make a joke at drivers expense.

I think you need to relax a bit! There is nothin confrontational about it. They are just trying to get people to cycle instead of using their car....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,465 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Not very efficient use of space. How many bikes can it handle?
    Is it bolted in place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Proper designed bike locking racks are often more secure then locking your bike to the lamp post/railing etc. Its nice to see something like that. From a quick look your getting decent parking for 8-10 bicycles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

How about this for a betaproject? Put some cyclelanes in place so I can get to the stupid artform bike parking pet project wanker bike station without trusting my life to dodgy line markings and lanes too narrow for two bikes never mind a car/lorry and me.
    Is there a wine & cheese event organised to mark the occasion of the delivery of this piece of carp?
    Bring back the celtic tiger and the non-stop planning applications to get these betaproject committee tools busy again

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭johndoc

BX 19 wrote: »
    Proper designed bike locking racks are often more secure then locking your bike to the lamp post/railing etc. Its nice to see something like that. From a quick look your getting decent parking for 8-10 bicycles there.

On google maps, turn 180 and move 200m back up Capel Street. A fine example of where Dublin CC could have provided somewhere to lock several bikes and instead went with the trusty 3ft tall traffic bollard

https://maps.google.com/?ll=53.347983,-6.268601&spn=0.001848,0.005284&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=53.347884,-6.268567&panoid=GHEX18_jozVeuo1UmZ4R6A&cbp=12,18.05,,0,-0.09

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

I wonder how long your bicycle would last parked on Capel St before it would get nicked. Not long I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

I like it. Its a fun way of trying to make a point. Why do you think its trying to make fun of drivers - most cyclists are also drivers?

What would you suggest instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Jimbob 83

OP needs to chill, 8+ bikes taking up the space of 1 car seems reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

errlloyd wrote: »

You're very sensitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭eqwjewoiujqorj

Imagine a couple of hundred of these around the city.

What you'd think of them then?

I think if you asked cyclists what's their greatest concern, it wouldn't be a place to park their bike.
    Sure they wouldn't say no to extra spaces, but there is no need to put them in a car parking space.

What does putting this in a car parking space achieve that wouldn't have been achieved by putting bars parallel to the foot path on the edge of the path, like they do elsewhere.?
    (Maybe not on this particular narrow stretch of the path, but further up the street.)

Are the bikes safer?
    Will more people leave their cars at home and start commuting by bike?

Also, it looks like the bars can only be accessed by the narrow foot path.
    Bit of a pain in the hole for everybody involved.

I'm pro cycling but this is a gimmick and an eyesore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

What does putting this in a car parking space achieve that wouldn't have been achieved by putting bars parallel to the foot path on the edge of the path, like they do elsewhere.?
    (Maybe not on this particular narrow stretch of the path, but further up the street.)
    It makes people think, and it encourages debate.

Anan1 wrote: »
    It makes people think, and it encourages debate.

If this thinking and debating is just an end in itself, then this is an art insulation.

On the other hand if it's to get people to think and debate to affect change, then what is that change?

ie What are they hoping to achieve?

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭doopa

If this thinking and debating is just an end in itself, then this is an art insulation.

On the other hand if it's to get people to think and debate to affect change, then what is that change?

I'd settle for it being an art installation that meets a need...

but they do also say that the number of parking spaces required in the summer months increases therefore they want/need to install more spaces. Doing it this way makes a point about use of space in a way that is very visually accessible and quick. So the change is - we need more parking in the summer cf winter - this is a nice way of achieving that.

Art is never an end in itself, the whole point is to make us think about who we are and what we do.

That's what you're meant to think and talk about. ;)

Art is never an end in itself, the whole point is to make us think about who we are and what we do.

That's what you're meant to think and talk about. ;)

Exactly, art doesn't have to have a practical application.

Well, I've thought about it and I don't think it achieves anything positive.

If we visit this thread in a year's time, what will have changed because of this?

The city council should be doing practical things for cyclists, motorists and public transport users.

for example:
    fixing potholes,
    more contra flow cycle lanes
    keeping cycle lanes clean,
    more cycle traffic lights
    ect

My point is we have been thinking and debating about these things for years.
    People know what they want and what the problems are, this yoke is not going to change anything.

Exactly, art doesn't have to have a practical application.

Well, I've thought about it and I don't think it achieves anything positive.

If we visit this thread in a year's time, what will have changed because of this?
    Making people think is a practical application, because it changes how people behave. This thread is proof of the success of the bike stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

DCC don't want more cars in an already congested city. Cities around the world don't want more cars in their congested cities. Dublin is unfortunate to be a very old city with a lay out that predates urban and town planning so congestion and bottle necks are in its nature. In years to come cities will push to get cars out of the city.

London for example with its congestion charge is a prime example. Or Sydney, where city centre parking can be up to $52 (about €40 p/h) to discourage cars into the city.
    Take Tokyo as another example where if a journey takes over 50 minutes then the easiest and fastest way it by bicycle.
    Imagine you had to pay €12 for the privilege to come inside the Royal Canal and Grand Canal areas? I don't think you'd worry too much about a space being removed.

Cyclist are tax payers too and are entitled to have somewhere to park their bikes. Bikes improperly locked to poles can fall down and can leave DCC liable if someone trips and breaks a bone because no proper facilities were provided.

Raising awareness of bicycles, despite what your opinion on cyclists might be is a positive thing.

The more parking spaces provided, the more/better roads that are built means more people availing of them and adding to the congestion.

If the DCC had a portacabin there for roadworks you wouldn't bat an eyelid at it taking up a parking space. It seems you have more of an issue with cyclists than losing a parking space?

Making people think is a practical application, because it changes how people behave. This thread is proof of the success of the bike stand.

People think all the time but they don't necessarily change how they behave.

And I don't see how this thread has proved that the bike stand has changed anyone's behavior.

The people who decided to have this stand erected may want to affect change - what is that change?

It's not good enough to say it's to get people to 'think', as I've stated up thread we've been thinking and debating these issues for years.

This is one stand, on one street, in one city.

It won't be changing anything.

It's a gimmick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,616 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

OP Here.

Didn't realise when I posted it the stand was meant to be seasonal. Like seasonal stands is probably a pretty good idea. But rather than just put the stand there and expect people to read the accompanying flyer, they should try add some sort of slogan to it to emphasis the idea is to make people cycle when the weather is (theoretically good).

I still feel the shape is specifically designed to provoke. People here argued it was successful in provoking a debate, which is a reasonable argument. But when you're late for work, or for a meeting and you desperately need somewhere to park, it isn't the right time for a debate. Realistically the space would be taken anyway, but sure thats not how you see it.

Question to cyclists.

Is bike parking actually a problem in Dublin seasonally?

Follow up question.

Can we replace some bike stands with car parks in the winter?

pete4130 wrote: »
    DCC don't want more cars in an already congested city.
    Cities around the world don't want more cars in their congested cities.
    Dublin is unfortunate to be a very old city with a lay out that predates urban and town planning so congestion and bottle necks are in its nature. In years to come cities will push to get cars out of the city.

There will always be cars / vans / buses in Dublin city center.
    People need to get from A to B, business have deliveries.
    What may happen is cars might be shared like the bike scheme.
    Cars like the The Hiriko Fold

London for example with its congestion charge is a prime example.
    Or Sydney, where city centre parking can be up to €42 (€42 ($52)) (about €40 p/h) to discourage cars into the city.
    Take Tokyo as another example where if a journey takes over 50 minutes then the easiest and fastest way it by bicycle.
    Imagine you had to pay €12 for the privilege to come inside the Royal Canal and Grand Canal areas?
    I don't think you'd worry too much about a space being removed.

I've no problem with parking spaces being removed.
    If fact remove all of Capel St parking and place cycling lanes on each side.
    Removing one parking space and placing a few cycling stands is just a gimmick that will change nothing.
    Cyclist are tax payers too and are entitled to have somewhere to park their bikes.
    Bikes improperly locked to poles can fall down and can leave DCC liable if someone trips and breaks a bone because no proper facilities were provided.

Very true, but it doesn't necessaryily follow that extra bike stands have to be placed in one parking spot.
    Raising awareness of bicycles, despite what your opinion on cyclists might be is a positive thing.

I'm not sure the problem for cyclists is awareness!
    I've cycled around Dublin and the main problems are sharing lanes with buses, pot holes, non-cycling traffic lights, few contra flow cycle lanes, cars parking in cycle lanes.
    But we know all this and I don't see this stand doing anything to help.
    The more parking spaces provided, the more/better roads that are built means more people availing of them and adding to the congestion.

If the DCC had a portacabin there for roadworks you wouldn't bat an eyelid at it taking up a parking space.
    It seems you have more of an issue with cyclists than losing a parking space?

I'm not sure it's me you are referring to but if it is, you haven't proved you point with that post.

I just believe this bike stand to be a gimmick that will not change anything.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Elmar Fudd

Capel St is my fave place to leave the bike in D1. It's just on the edge of the centre so I can walk the rest of the way (because I don't like to cycle near crowds or trams) but no geezer is going to lock his bike to an attention-seeking barbie-pink stand. It's just not cricket. I always use the stainless steel stands near McQuillan's tools. There are 6 stands there and always a few unoccupied. They are your only man on Capel Street.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Will that car-shaped stand get a ticket for non-payment of parking fees?:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I am both a motorist and a cyclist around dublin, i have yet to be stuck for a cycle parking space although sometimes it's not as close to destination as i'd like.
    That stand reminds me of something that w@nker Keegan would come up with, he cycled around while using his authority to make life a misery for motorists, then he went to dun laoghaire and made life even more of a misery for motorists there while businesses are closing all around there 'cos shoppers are fed up of the parking regime.
    /rant. Feel better now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭cram1971

Stick a clamp on it :D

Advertisement