Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 winter tyres only

• 17-12-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭

I have 2 winter tyres only. My car is FWD, Should I put them on front or rear?

There seems to be arguments for both.
    Put on the front for better traction when starting off.
    Put on the rear for better handling and braking.

What do you recommend.?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Most of your braking force goes to the front wheels. Put them on the front. You'll be able to drive, steer and brake better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Put them in the shed until you can afford 2 more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

Sorry, I can't get that to play. What does it conclude?

Can a mod fix, what is the deal with posting youtube vids, that is working for me?

Anyway, it shows a car loosing control with only 2 winters fitted, quite easily I'm afraid.

• Advertisement

Can a mod fix, what is the deal with posting youtube vids, that is working for me?

Anyway, it shows a car loosing control with only 2 winters fitted, quite easily I'm afraid.

Are the winters on the back or front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Sorry, I can't get that to play. What does it conclude?

1:25 in

Are the winters on the back or front?

Test shows front and back, both ends loose control quite easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭Biglad

You need 4, period. Google it, easy. Just back from a return journey in to Letterkenny, lot's of people with these snow socks on their motors, even on cleared tarmac, they are ready for the bin tonight, don't get it...

Biglad wrote: »
    You need 4, period. Google it, easy. Just back from a return journey in to Letterkenny, lot's of people with these snow socks on their motors, even on cleared tarmac, they are ready for the bin tonight, don't get it...

Thanks, for advice, I have cancelled my order. Originally I had 4 ordered but the company only had 3 available. I then decided on 2 but after doing research it seems putting 2 on the front of a FWD car can make it very unstable under braking and putting them on the back doesn't cure the traction from standstill.

Need 4 or none at all.

• Advertisement

Thanks, for advice, I have cancelled my order. Originally I had 4 ordered but the company only had 3 available. I then decided on 2 but after doing research it seems putting 2 on the front of a FWD car can make it very unstable under braking and putting them on the back doesn't cure the traction from standstill.

Need 4 or none at all.

Right and only decision imo, although there are many "experts" on here who would "chance" a two tyre set up.;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

I'd inclined to think that having 2 would give you false confidence up to the point where the back really does go, while having 2 would force you to slow down to cope with the reduced grip overall.

4, or none would be more stable IMO.

Still, unscientific tests from Michelin should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not disputing what they're trying to convey, but they obviously want to sell the four tires rather than just 2!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Captain Commie

I have 2 on front of nissan almera, got them in middle of all the crap the other week and have to say it works fine, loads more grip than what had with the others, suppose it could be somewhat better with 4 winters, but working just fine with 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

That video explains a lot to me. I have Winters on the front of my wife's corolla and all-seasons on the rear. I have noticed that its a bit tail happy in icy conditions. While my 200bhp RWD is very stable with 4 winter tyres fitted.

I'd inclined to think that having 2 would give you false confidence up to the point where the back really does go, while having 2 would force you to slow down to cope with the reduced grip overall.

4, or none would be more stable IMO.

Still, unscientific tests from Michelin should be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not disputing what they're trying to convey, but they obviously want to sell the four tires rather than just 2!

It's not just Michelin advocating this, if you do some research you'll find that most other manufacturers and consumer organizations will state the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

The video does a good job of stating the obvious- winter tyres are better than all season, and 4 is better than 2.

But it doesnt test if 4 summer tyres are better than 2 summers on the rear and 2 winters/ all season's on the front so it doesnt really answer the question

I am awaiting the snow to test this latter setup, I expect it will be tail happy but no more so that with summer's all round- but the front should help get you up that hill or out of snow a bit better - see the autocar video for the BMW example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Casati wrote: »
    I am awaiting the snow to test this latter setup, I expect it will be tail happy but no more so that with summer's all round-

The video I linked to shows that
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69608817&postcount=8

Casati wrote: »
    The video does a good job of stating the obvious- winter tyres are better than all season, and 4 is better than 2.

But it doesnt test if 4 summer tyres are better than 2 summers on the rear and 2 winters/ all season's on the front so it doesnt really answer the question

I am awaiting the snow to test this latter setup, I expect it will be tail happy but no more so that with summer's all round- but the front should help get you up that hill or out of snow a bit better - see the autocar video for the BMW example

You serious?

Advertisement