Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rear Breaks frozen solid.

• 29-11-2010 4:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hi,

Question.... What can you do, if you find your Car with the Rear Breaks frozen solid. (FWD) and it was only one side Frozen... it's 3am in the middle of nowhere and you have a 40 mile drive ahead of you to get home?? it's -6C And you really want to get home...

(Besides calling Taxi/Mate etc)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

if no warm water around, simply piss on the frozen caliper!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭jezko

okane1 wrote: »
    if no warm water around, simply piss on the frozen caliper!
    Had that Idea... But had just emptied down the loo 2 minutes before!! And No Pissin Hot/warm water in taps...

• Registered Users Posts: 21 clank :o)

use the pipe off a hoover to direct warm exhaust gas to the wheel for five or ten minutes

clank :o) wrote: »
    use the pipe off a hoover to direct warm exhaust gas to the wheel for five or ten minutes

No hoover ... (Was In the Middle of Nowhere :-) ...But good Idea if ever outside my house!! :-)

Shovel snow or arrange other material along the sides of the vehicle. Doing this will create a path for air flow from front to rear of the vehicle, minimizing losses from the under the sides of the vehicle. The objective is to get the heat created by the engine and circulated to the radiator at the front of the vehicle, to the rear of the vehicle where most of the parking brake components are located. Creating a channel under the vehicle by piling snow, etc. in the space under the sides of the vehicle accomplishes just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

jezko wrote: »
    Hi,

Question.... What can you do, if you find your Car with the Rear Breaks frozen solid. (FWD) and it was only one side Frozen... it's 3am in the middle of nowhere and you have a 40 mile drive ahead of you to get home?? it's -6C And you really want to get home...

(Besides calling Taxi/Mate etc)

well if you have drum brakes and steel rims you can just hit the rim with something big to free the brakes all you need to do is brake the seal on the brake to get you home

Remember with temperatures this cold you should always leave your handbrake released when the car is parked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mayo_lad wrote: »

Remember with temperatures this cold you should always leave your handbrake released when the car is parked up

Hmmm.. how does that work with electronic handbrakes as in the Passat etc

You have me worried now as to whether I should even try it (just outside Kells here and it's bitter cold and I'm supposed to be leaving in the next 15/20 mins) :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Hair dryer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭mayo_lad

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Hmmm.. how does that work with electronic handbrakes as in the Passat etc

You have me worried now as to whether I should even try it (just outside Kells here and it's bitter cold and I'm supposed to be leaving in the next 15/20 mins) :o

what i normally do in this weather is leave the car in gear onv a flat surface and leave the handbrake released you can do both of those things with the passat as well

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Hammer time.

p.s. You need to brake the ice of your breaks :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I had all four calipers rebuilt recently so I *shouldn't* have any bother, but I'm still not using the handbrake, just leaving the car in gear

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Had this problem this morning also, back driver side frozen, ABS light and ESP light both stayed on when I drove off. Pumped the brakes to make sure they were working which they were. Parked up about a mile up the road and there was a strong smell from that wheel - presume I've probably warped the disc. :(

It was grand from then on after I restarted and pumped the brakes again, lights off and no smell.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Just wondering would the spray anti-freeze for windscreens be ok to use on frozen brakes or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,106 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Drink a load of liquids and repeat post 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye, leave the hand brake off when it's below 0.

As to the scenario above, you can try rocking the car back and forth to break ice off (only if you positively can't do anything else, it may damage something).
    Another option is to hose petrol out of the tank and pour this over the caliper.
    Same for red wine/spirits.
    These are only if nothing else works and you're desperate.

I suspect the cable had frozen the brakes on one side. Once moving the handbrake handle had quite a bit of "play" before working... Seems to be back to "Normal" Now...

Handbrake OFF from now in this Weather...

And trip to the Garage to check the damage... Bugger it

Had thought of using Antifreeze window spray... wasn't sure if this would react and balls up the Brakes more...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

If It happens to be a mondeo, you probably need new handbrake cables.
    google it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,934 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

mayo_lad wrote: »
    what i normally do in this weather is leave the car in gear onv a flat surface and leave the handbrake released you can do both of those things with the passat as well

Problem is the driveway is sloped down to the house :( ... oh and she's automatic/DSG too!

Oh well.. was no problem in the end this morning as it turned out save for the OVERLY cautious types out in force!

Advertisement