Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re:Do Opel Astra's have head probs

Options
  • 06-02-2006 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if any other Astra owners(old shape 00) had cooling problems. As my brother and his mate both had head gasket's go and coolant leak into the oil. Just wondering is this a know problem with Astras

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Brother has a 00, and his gasket just went about 2 weeks ago.

I didn't know this was a problem with them, but seemingly it's happening with a lot of them

His car has 50k miles, 1.4ltr, and well looked after... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i hope i never own an opel again after my astra, i am sure you can search for my problems with it in here

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have said this one before a number of times here.

Yes the Astra IV or G model has a head gasket design problem.

The gasket is thin around the block where the fourth cylinder on the left as you look at the engine, it was made to close to the edge of the block.

Its simple to replace the gasket and make sure a strong gasket like an alloy one.

Apart from that my Astra has 82k on the clock for 99 car and its flying, still has a nice humme and runs really well, sounds better than most two three year old cars.

Eco tec is still a strong and very reliable engine, it came top of the polls for least breakdowns.

Also keep an eye on EGR Value and idling in very old models, common problem of stalling when the revs drop.

Check out www.honestjohn.co.uk and go to breakdown of car by car on the left

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers lads,Kluivert what years was model "IV & G" or is it all the years that model/shape was out . Did you wait till your head gasket went or did you change before. Also if this is a know mistake and is pron to failure are the manufacture (opel) not liable to fix it?. Wasn't there engine valve seal problems on 00/01 toyota's corola/avensis which caused some of them to burn oil and the manufacture did a re-call

Cubix

Astra G or IV is 1998 - 2004.

I bought my car Astra knowing that i had to get the head gasket changed, it had 54k on the clock and starting leaking oil at 60k. Got the gasket replaced with an alloy gasket instead of a rubber one.

250e at the Opel dealer.

I dont think that ill sell my car for ages its running really well, i service it every 6k miles regliously and it means to be keeping it running very smooth.

Check out www.astra-sport.co.uk

They have great technical forums, always find a solution to any problem and a trade shop so you can buy parts cheap in the UK.

About the value seals don the Toyota i know this to be correct. My house mate has a 01 Corrola and just before Christmas he had a new engine put into the car for free by Toyota because of this problem, lucky b*****d.

As Far As I Know, the car is prone to this problem however it doesnt require a recall, comes in under the required specifications or something like that, but you could try your arm to get the Opel Garage to replace it free.

Complain to Opel Ireland Etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭cubix

Cheers for that K, €250 seems cheap for a main dealer how long ago was that. Also you said you got them to replace it with an alloy one instead of a rubber one. Knowing the probs would they still make the rubber type and fit them?, if so this is crazy

Cubix

Well theres is stupid people in this world and other people who wish to take advantage of this, so yeah you can still get rubber gaskets.

The cost was cheap, i told the head mechanic that there was a problem with the design and he agreed with me, like he knew.

I love the Astra, not the greatest car in the world but it has good preformance for a 1.4 beats the Golf 1.4 and the rest, bar Civic.

Cheap to maintain and strong proven engines (apart from the above).

If you have any problems with your Astra give me a buzz and i can point you the right direction

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

i work in an opel main dealer, we have seen many astra g's with head gasket problems but it is a problem on many cars and a dealer is not going to fix it for free out of warranty. fiat and rover have terrible head problems, and i bet you wont see them fixed by dealers for free!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Look in the buy and sell or cbg to find out how many had head gasket's replaced

It's like a selling point at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I think anybody that buys an Astra has a head problem :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Lucifer wrote:
    rover have terrible head problems, and i bet you wont see them fixed by dealers for free!

good luck getting anything on a Rover done on warranty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭Silvera

I heard of a few Astra head gasket's going, but didn't think it was a widespread problem.

I bought a 03 1.4 XE in August which now has 34k on the clock.

Is there anything that can be done to stop the problem ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lucifer

they have had some problems with head gasket but after alot where replaced under warranty they have started using different gaskets and have modified the engines over time.

Advertisement