Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mazda 6 Saloon

• 27-07-2015 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am on the verge (have to decide within the next few days) of buying this car. Has anyone had experience with it or any views. It's an automatic, petrol2.0. 2015. I did look at the Vauxhall Insignia but I just prefer the Mazda, admittedly that is probably based on the fickleness of appearances alone.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,363 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Ayls wrote: »
    I am on the verge (have to decide within the next few days) of buying this car. Has anyone had experience with it or any views. It's an automatic, petrol2.0. 2015. I did look at the Vauxhall Insignia but I just prefer the Mazda, admittedly that is probably based on the fickleness of appearances alone.

My dad picked up a 2.2D Mazda 6 a few weeks ago. He absolutely loves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭Ayls

Thanks. I heard it's a good bit heavier on the petrol but I do like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have sold feck all petrol new model Mazda 6s here so it's very difficult to know anything about the petrol model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

I had a loan of a Mazda6 2.2 Platinum auto a few months ago and it was a beautiful car. So much spec as standard, a lot of poke and give or take 40k, it was a lot of car for the money. Can't comment on the petrol though. Much classier than the Insignia I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

I know it's not the same but one of our cars is a 03 Mazda 6. 1.8ltr petrol and still going strong.

• Advertisement

MarkN wrote: »
    I had a loan of a Mazda6 2.2 Platinum auto a few months ago and it was a beautiful car. So much spec as standard, a lot of poke and give or take 40k, it was a lot of car for the money. Can't comment on the petrol though. Much classier than the Insignia I think.

What's the auto box like in the 6? I read that it's a rather old design and not very fuel efficient.

How do you find the mileage on that ?

I agree it looks a lot classier than the Insignia (& feels it) but the Insignia gets great mpg. I've currently got a Volvo V40 cross country and the mileage is probably the best I have ever had in a car BUT I just can't take to it. My husband says I'm mad as the car is the most solid one he's been in, he really likes it. Trouble is the terrible lack of visibility (for me) If cars were dogs I would picture it as a pitt-bull. Hard to describe, I thought I would get used to it but can't. Shame as I know the build is first class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know it's not the same but one of our cars is a 03 Mazda 6. 1.8ltr petrol and still going strong.
    Are you dead from constantly topping up the engine oil :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Sam Kade wrote: »

Why ? Is there a problem with this ?

• Advertisement

Why ? Is there a problem with this ?

Yeah the oil comes up the cylinders and out the exhaust. I've a 07 1.8 and have to top it up every 2 weeks.

That's a different model and different engine to the current one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭MarkN

Bazz - auto box was not far behind the auto box in the F10 5 series/VW DSG etc - it was the revised 2015 model though, a lot of the interior etc is different to the previous new model 6.

With a full tank the range was only 700kms which I found strange but I didn't find out the tank capacity, I just compared it to the 5 series which would say 1,000kms on a full tank. I know these things vary on driving style but it did seem low. I only had the car for a week so I didn't get the opportunity to properly work out the efficiency of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

That is one beautiful car :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

It'll depreciate a lot more heavily than the diesel, but other than that it'll be decent and reliable. Go for it if you like it.
    Bazz - auto box was not far behind the auto box in the F10 5 series/VW DSG etc - it was the revised 2015 model though, a lot of the interior etc is different to the previous new model 6.

With a full tank the range was only 700kms which I found strange but I didn't find out the tank capacity, I just compared it to the 5 series which would say 1,000kms on a full tank. I know these things vary on driving style but it did seem low. I only had the car for a week so I didn't get the opportunity to properly work out the efficiency of it.
    Usually the Japanese cars have smaller fuel tanks. That'd explain most of it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,751 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Yeah the oil comes up the cylinders and out the exhaust. I've a 07 1.8 and have to top it up every 2 weeks.

Is that a mk 1 or mk2 Mazda 6? I have the mk2 with a 1.8 petrol engine and it's flawless.

God no it's never given any trouble like that. We have it 8 years and service it at home and it's been fantastic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    It'll depreciate a lot more heavily than the diesel, but other than that it'll be decent and reliable. Go for it if you like it.

Usually the Japanese cars have smaller fuel tanks. That'd explain most of it.

Do they as my 12 avensis diesel gives a range around 750km when I fill up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Thats sooooo nice.

Pity most will be big spec.

That said big spec on a 6 really just means you drop to a manual gearbox, smaller alloys and cloth seats.

They're pretty well spec'd in general in fairness.

Well I finally decided on the Mazda. It's SE-L so no leather seats which I do like and could have had with the Insignia but after taking the Insignia out for another test drive decided not to go with it. Now to see how much the petrol will cost me, 2hrs daily on motorway.

• Advertisement

God no it's never given any trouble like that. We have it 8 years and service it at home and it's been fantastic.
    It must be the only one I've had 2 of them and both had the same problem and anyone I know with those mazdas have the same problem. You also see plenty for sale with out engines as they never kept topping them up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

ofcork wrote: »
    Do they as my 12 avensis diesel gives a range around 750km when I fill up.

Yep that's a small tank, unless its hard on fuel. My 2011 3 series does over 700 miles on a tank. (over 1250km). Tank is approx 61L.

Brim tested last week and doing 54mpg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,412 ✭✭✭ofcork

My tank is 60l iirc but my driving is mostly short journeys with one long a week and haven't done better than the 750 km or so.

It must be the only one I've had 2 of them and both had the same problem and anyone I know with those mazdas have the same problem. You also see plenty for sale with out engines as they never kept topping them up.

Ours is great no complaints at all. If a car gave us trouble like that we wouldn't keep it for 8 weeks not to mind 8 years:)

Well I finally decided on the Mazda. It's SE-L so no leather seats which I do like and could have had with the Insignia but after taking the Insignia out for another test drive decided not to go with it. Now to see how much the petrol will cost me, 2hrs daily on motorway.
    Out of curiosity, with 2 hours daily motorway driving, why didn't you opt for the diesel?

Patww79 wrote: »
    GT86 then...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Conversely we had one, and I know someone with one, and they never needed a drop of oil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

In a car like that the petrol engine is going to feel anaemic in comparison to the diesel. It's not the type of car you buy to rev the guts out of it for maximum go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Could be looking at this car (petrol also) towards end of year or early next year, be interested to see how your mpg goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Thats gas, my mam just changed he Mazda 6 saloon, for a vauxhall insignia. She loves it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Not really true though. Diesel mid range suits a car like that much better than a N/A petrol. Better mid range performance is where an automatic Mazda 6 is going to be used most. It's not a sports car going to be revved hard. My father used to have a 2 litre petrol Mondeo and even next to my lower powered Mazda 6 diesel it felt weak and flat for overtaking.

If it was a two seater roadster or hot hatch I'd be in complete agreement (or even if the Mazdas petrol was turbocharged) but you really don't see big plodding saloons driven like one unless their stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Is the 2l petrol in the 6 the same as the one in the CX3?

I don't like diesel, but that's not strictly true. The F10 5-Series is quicker in diesel form in all the equivalent models. Now I accept quicker does not equal better, but it shows that there's more than just tax and efficiency savings!
    Early 00's VW had a pathetic 2 litre petrol that even the crude 1.9 diesel was better and quicker than. Their 1.6 petrol of that era was almost as unrefined as a diesel with none of the rev-happiness of a petrol or mid-range of a diesel. Some large lazy saloons are more suited to diesel.
    A decent petrol is the best option though, but not all petrols are decent!

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Could be looking at this car (petrol also) towards end of year or early next year, be interested to see how your mpg goes.

Won't get delivery of the car for another 2 weeks but will let you know, fingers crossed I will have great things to say !

Interesting to read the petrol v diesel discussions.

I went for the petrol as it was the cheapest finance offer, didn't think the difference could be saved by going with the diesel (could be way out on that) I found the diesel Insignia was really loud in comparison and thought the noise would start to become quite irritating even though the Volvo v40 I have at the moment is diesel it's extremely quiet.

What you think of the Volvo???

It's probably the most solid feel car I have ever had, not that large but feels like a tank it made looking at other cars quite difficult as so many seemed like tins compared to it and the mileage is good, about 55mpg BUT the visibility is awful and feels really enclosed inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Won't get delivery of the car for another 2 weeks but will let you know, fingers crossed I will have great things to say !

Interesting to read the petrol v diesel discussions.

I went for the petrol as it was the cheapest finance offer, didn't think the difference could be saved by going with the diesel (could be way out on that) I found the diesel Insignia was really loud in comparison and thought the noise would start to become quite irritating even though the Volvo v40 I have at the moment is diesel it's extremely quiet.

Cheers.

Popped into Mazda today. They've not sold a petrol 6 yet !!!
    3 month waiting list, very basic spec available ie Platinum (no parking assist/zenon lights etc) Basically the salesman put me off even though i said i wouldnt buy a diesel...

Might not be for me afterall. Even though a lovely car.

3 months waiting list ! I was given 3 weeks 4 at most, hope it doesn't turn into a long saga. I don't know if I should be worried about the non sale of petrols or not. I bought the SE-L as I most definitely want (& need :) ) parking sensors. To be honest I know very little about cars and most of my driving years were in Europe and further afield and were always petrol and automatic, the diesels only came into play here.

• Advertisement

It's probably the most solid feel car I have ever had, not that large but feels like a tank it made looking at other cars quite difficult as so many seemed like tins compared to it and the mileage is good, about 55mpg BUT the visibility is awful and feels really enclosed inside.

I drove a few different cars and the Volvo for me was more solid, so quiet, quick and very roomy, I picked the Volvo over the Mazda as for me I preferred it more and I got a load more spec :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

hope your not buying it in Waterford,

What's wrong with Waterford besides the hurling :D

Given the OP mentions a new petrol Mazda 6 and a SE-L model it is safe to assume the OP in based in the UK and not Ireland.

I'm in Derry, the northern part of the Isle of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

What are the 08 masda 6s like compared to the idtec accords of same year? The accords are commanding more of a Premium

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snipey

Autosport wrote: »
    What's wrong with Waterford besides the hurling :D
    I bought from the Mazda dealer down there and never again, after sales couldn't be worse:mad:

I'm in Derry, the northern part of the Isle of Ireland.

Not going to get into a Sin Fein Ard Fheis type debate but just making the point that very few of that model 6 are sold in petrol form down here, trim levels are different also.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not going to get into a Sin Fein Ard Fheis type debate but just making the point that very few of that model 6 are sold in petrol form down here, trim levels are different also.

It's OK wasn't meant to sound like one, nothing to do with Sinn Fein, just giving location and I see (now) what you mean about the petrol. I appreciate your input into this thread. :)

Advertisement