Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gaming build - Motherboard choice Z97

• 21-09-2014 5:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭

I'm currently getting a build together. Been lurking on this board for a week or so checking out some of the other builds.
    I have a build pretty much sorted.

http://www.hardwareversand.de/pcconfigurator/meinpc/1178323

One thing that I'm not 100% sure of is my motherboard choice. Asus Z97-pro.
    Currently 165 on hardwareversand. I don't if I should maybe go for something a little cheaper (around 100) and use the saving on something else, possibly a larger SSD.
    Any recommendations/ opinions would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah you could easily make some savings on the motherboard. Something like the Z97 Extreme 3 from ASRock is about €100 and also gives you the option of crossfire/sli down the road.

You also have no HDD in there,SSD only is a nice idea but games are big these days so i would add a 1TB HDD to the build

Rest of the build looks good so i would just pocket the savings or add the HDD as mentioned above.

Have you used geizhals.de? Its a discount site,should hopefully get the build closer to about €950

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

EoinHef wrote: »
    Yeah you could easily make some savings on the motherboard. Something like the Z97 Extreme 3 from ASRock is about €100 and also gives you the option of crossfire/sli down the road.

You also have no HDD in there,SSD only is a nice idea but games are big these days so i would add a 1TB HDD to the build

Rest of the build looks good so i would just pocket the savings or add the HDD as mentioned above.

Have you used geizhals.de? Its a discount site,should hopefully get the build closer to about €950

Thanks. I'll take a look at the ASRock motherboard. I barely got through looking at the Asus z97 models yesterday. I think they had 4 or 5 entry levels variants let alone the more expensive ones. And if the reviews on NewEgg were to be believed, none of the manufacturers can create a board that lasts more than a month before dying.

Don't worry about the hard drive. I have over 4TB of discs in my current machine that I'll be bringing over, but I wanted to get an SSD for the OS/apps. I had a quick look at geizhals the other day but didn't spend a lot of time comparing the price of the build.
    I didn't see an English option for the site other than the link to skinflint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭EoinHef

There is no english version of geizhals afaik but i just copy the name of the item from hardwareversand and paste into the search bar on geizhals. That will produce a list of products so pick the one you want,then scroll down the list of prices till you see hardwareversand(not the one with abholshop under it,the one with just hardwareversand.de) and click on it.
    You will be redirected to hardwareversand to the products page with the reduced price. Pop the item in your basket and rinse repeat for everything else in the build. Hopefully save about €35-50 by the time you fill the basket with all the gear

When your pricking the RAM from the product list pay extra care to pick the one your looking for. A lot of results will most likely come up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭wayne040576

Thanks.

I had a quick look last night and I think it would save me about 30 quid. I was planning to get them to do the build for me and there doesn't seem to be an option for that unless you use their configuration page. So I'll have to decide if which way to go.

Advertisement