Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to set up email addresses for my domain that forward to another address

Options
  • 08-09-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Up til now I've used Google's service to manage my mail but I see they've now started charging for new accounts.

What's my best option now? I don't really care about having a proper webmail box as I want it all forwarded to my personal email anyway (Gmail will then let me send mail using that alias.

I'm using http://mail.zoho.com/ for the time being but it seems to take an age to forward my mail.

Are there any 3rd party sites I can use to do this or will I have to set up my own mailserver (Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS).

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

There are plenty of mail providers out there, the majority of them charge. You don't get anything for free- so if it is free then you are the product. If it's just 1 mailbox, don't bother setting up your own mail server - You'll pay with electricity.

Google apps supports aliases if it's just one login you need.

If you want full control then set up your own server with perhaps something like OpenChange, Roundcube or install Zentyal (which is based on Ubuntu - Neat system too).

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Mr. G wrote: »
    There are plenty of mail providers out there, the majority of them charge. You don't get anything for free- so if it is free then you are the product. If it's just 1 mailbox, don't bother setting up your own mail server - You'll pay with electricity.

I pay for a dedicated server anyway.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Intifada wrote: »
    I pay for a dedicated server anyway.

Windows or Linux?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Intifada

Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS - I said in my OP although looking back it wasn't very clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Using Postfix with virtual hosts it's pretty easy to setup forwarding
    http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement