Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop family from giving a religious funeral

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Cantremember

swampgas wrote: »
    Feel free to make a point any time you like.

How extraordinary that you think people need your permission to do so. Bizarre.

robindch wrote: »
    Si tacuisses, sapientius meliusque mansisses.

Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus.

Google is your friend too obviously.

It seems then, that our concern might be those who will survive us rather than for ourselves?

Let's say a meteor hit Ireland tomorrow and wiped us all out. Would any of us really care about the lack of appropriate funeral arrangements? I doubt it.

It doesn't seem that way alone as has been repeatedly stated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Let's say a meteor hit Ireland tomorrow and wiped us all out. Would any of us really care about the lack of appropriate funeral arrangements? I doubt it.

Already alluded to in post #22, the important thing is to prevent dead bodies causing illness among the still living. Anything more than that funeral-wise is a luxury really :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

OK, some good stuff coming out here. Dades suggests in post #86 that, if the thought of a religious funeral bothers an atheist while he's alive, that means its right and important that he be reassured that he won't have such a funeral. That's entirely correct, of course, through strictly speaking all it means is that we have to tell him, while alive, that he will have a secular funeral. If, after he dies, we give him a religious funeral ("surprise!"), is any harm done?

Yes, I think it is. First, we've lied to him, and in most moral systems lying is generally wrong. Sure, we have lied to comfort someone, and maybe that's acceptable when it's the only way to comfort him, but that's not the case here. We didn't have to lie to him. We could have actually intended to give him the secular funeral he wanted, and then truthfully told him he would have it.

And, secondly, if we lie to the first atheist who feels like this, and then give him a religious funeral, it becomes more difficult to comfort the next atheist with a similar lie, since he will know that he cannot depend on what we say. If it's important to comfort and reassure people by promising them the funeral that they want, then it's important actually to deliver on those promises. Otherwise they lose their power to provide any comfort or reassurance.

(And of course if you take the case of a person who wants a religious funeral, you can turn this argument completely around, and it still holds good. So this isn't an argument for giving atheists the funerals they want; it's an argument for giving everyone the funeral they want, if the knowledge that we will do so is something that will comfort them and sustain them as they face death.)

But can we go a bit further? Take the case of an atheist who is actually not terribly bothered about his funeral and expresses no particular wishes about it. (And we know from this thread that there are plenty of those.) Can we say that, even for him, it would be wrong to celebrate a religious funeral?

I think we can say that. But there are actually arguments both ways on this.

Argument for ignoring his atheism: He's dead and, dead or alive, his funeral was not important to him anyway. He is unaffected by the kind of funeral he has. But his family and friends are affected; they are the ones who are dealing with his death, who are mourning and grieving. At least arguably, the funeral is mainly for them, and the funeral should be the one which best comforts and supports them. Which may or may not suggest a religious funeral, but it certainly suggests a funeral which accords with their beliefs, in priority to his.

Argument for not ignoring his atheism: He's dead. And the reason we mark his death is because he was important, and therefore his loss is important. No man is an island; every man's death diminishes me, etc, etc. And I don't know that we can mourn his loss if we start out by denying or ignoring who he was, and what he brought to his family, his friends and his society. Among the things he brought were his beliefs and values. If we are going to do this decently and with integrity, we shouldn't have a funeral which denies or ignores important truths about him.

Almost certainly, some compromise is possible, and perhaps even necessary. It may be true that Joe was a complete and vocal unbeliever, and also true that Joe's friends include believers who want to pray for him, and can hardly be stopped from doing so. I've been to plenty of civil funerals in Australia at which the Lord's prayer is recited, or a psalm is sung. The funeral celebrates not only Joe's contribution to his community but also the community's loss at Joe's death as well as the community's feelings towards Joe. Almost certainly, Joe's community will include people who want to pray for him in one way or another. I don't think it's a denial or rejection of Joe's beliefs for his funeral to include room for the expression of that need. But what we can't do, with integrity, is to make or imply claims that Joe's beliefs or values were other than they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Absolutely - they're grim. However the Irish (to make a huge generalisation) have, IMO a curious attitude to death and misery - we like to wallow in it. I sometimes wonder am I particularly stone-hearted as I tend to see death as a natural and inevitable process rather than anything to get all hysterical about.

As a child I was confused by the mourning process. I was being told how great heaven is and you'll get to have a lovely time there with all your dead relatives. So if heaven was thing we were all supposed to look forward to, why was everyone so upset and acting as though the person was gone never to be seen ever again?
    I know my a la carte parents would expect a catholic funeral with all the trimmings because they've said they see it as a fitting ceremony and everyone knows what to expect. I'll honour their wishes when the time comes, but equally I'd expect my wishes to be honoured in that regard too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Peregrinus wrote: »
    (And of course if you take the case of a person who wants a religious funeral, you can turn this argument completely around, and it still holds good. So this isn't an argument for giving atheists the funerals they want; it's an argument for giving everyone the funeral they want, if the knowledge that we will do so is something that will comfort them and sustain them as they face death.)
    Indeed! A fabulous, expensive ceremony with the Archbishop can be promised, but a religious person will never know they've been left out in a brown bin. :)
    Peregrinus wrote: »
    But can we go a bit further? Take the case of an atheist who is actually not terribly bothered about his funeral and expresses no particular wishes about it. (And we know from this thread that there are plenty of those.) Can we say that, even for him, it would be wrong to celebrate a religious funeral?
    My thinking would be if someone never expressed an opinion on a funeral either way, they are fair game for whatever their relatives come up with. Certainly in Ireland, assuming you have "catholic" kin, you can assume there'll be incense, organs (not the donated ones) and strangers in robes at your funeral. Suffice to say it's more an "opt out" offering, than an "opt in" one.

Advertisement