Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 nut + me = oil everywhere

• 10-09-2014 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭

Howdy peeps.

I've done something very silly with my car.

So i was changing the spark plugs in my Almera (n16, 1.5, saloon, facelift) and for some reason (call it a moment of madness) i decided to make sure this nut was tight.

a1l4ra.jpg

Jaysus, it was a big mistake.

Nut won't tighten at all anymore, just spins, get's kind of tight, then loosens. And because of that, oil spurts out and goes all over the engine block. The smell....the smoke....not good!

Here's a close up of the same nut

25q9erk.jpg

I've no idea what it's for. Figured it was there as a rocker cover bolt, but apparently not.

I've tried rubbing some high temp engine sealant around the threads of the screw and putting her back into place, then left it over night to sit.

No good, was as bad as ever again in 5 minutes.

Any idea's? I didn't think one nut would cause such a hassle. Serves me right for being overly curious!

I've checked in the haynes manual but it doesn't mention the nut.

Any help you can give me would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭teediddlyeye

Could be a blank for an oil channel in the cylinder head.

I wouldn't try using sealer on it, there's always the chance of it coming out.

Try removing it and cleaning out the threads in the rocker cover, if they're damaged you'll have to run a hellicoil in to get a good clean cut before trying to put the bolt in. You might need to try a slightly bigger bolt to get a proper seal.

"I never thought I was normal, never tried to be normal."- Charlie Manson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Why did you start fiddling with that bolt in the first place it has nothing to do with changing the spark plugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Why did you start fiddling with that bolt in the first place it has nothing to do with changing the spark plugs?

Curiosity, with a hint of madness. Didn't expect the bolt to do anything but loosen and tighten. And now here we are!

Could be a blank for an oil channel in the cylinder head.

I wouldn't try using sealer on it, there's always the chance of it coming out.

Try removing it and cleaning out the threads in the rocker cover, if they're damaged you'll have to run a hellicoil in to get a good clean cut before trying to put the bolt in. You might need to try a slightly bigger bolt to get a proper seal.

I've given up on it, will bring it to a garage today :) thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If oil is coming out and smoking do not drive.
    See can you get mechanic to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 72 ✭✭T5180

Its unlikely to be an oil gallery in the cam cover .The thread has either stripped on the bolt or the head/ cover . Have a look at the bolt thread , if there is aluminium in the threads , the bolt is probably fine and the alloy thread has stripped . You could try an new bolt in it or one a few mm longer may work . If the alloy thread is gone it will need a Helicoil fitted which is not a big job.
    If you checked the torque setting for this bolt you would be amazed how little force should be applied when tightening it , we have all been there ,learn from the mistake and move on ,
    good luck.

T5180 wrote: »
    Its unlikely to be an oil gallery in the cam cover .The thread has either stripped on the bolt or the head/ cover . Have a look at the bolt thread , if there is aluminium in the threads , the bolt is probably fine and the alloy thread has stripped . You could try an new bolt in it or one a few mm longer may work . If the alloy thread is gone it will need a Helicoil fitted which is not a big job.
    If you checked the torque setting for this bolt you would be amazed how little force should be applied when tightening it , we have all been there ,learn from the mistake and move on ,
    good luck.

this is by far one of the best replies i've ever seen on boards. For anything.

Indeed there was a small spiral of aluminum around the bottom, and also thinking it'll need to be helicoiled.

Dropping her in to a mech later to see about getting it done.

Yep, live and learn. Thanks a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

If there are aluminium shavings around because of this, it'd be a good idea to remove the valve cover before doing any repairs. If you have to drill/tap or helicoil the hole it's going to create more swarf which will drop conveniently into the oil if you don't remove the cover first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

That bolt is not the original. Someone else had the rocker cover of before, for some reason and probably lost the original one and replaced it with this.

You can see the sealant(red) in the second picture. You may just need the proper bolt put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

ORVEE wrote: »
    That bolt is not the original. Someone else had the rocker cover of before, for some reason and probably lost the original one and replaced it with this.

You can see the sealant(red) in the second picture. You may just need the proper bolt put in.

The op done that themselves.
    truedoom wrote: »
    tried rubbing some high temp engine sealant around the threads of the screw and putting her back into place, then left it over night to sit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

truedoom wrote: »
    this is by far one of the best replies i've ever seen on boards. For anything.

Indeed there was a small spiral of aluminum around the bottom, and also thinking it'll need to be helicoiled.

Dropping her in to a mech later to see about getting it done.

Yep, live and learn. Thanks a lot.
    Did you get it sorted?

Chimaera wrote: »
    it'd be a good idea to remove the valve cover before doing any repairs. If you have to drill/tap or helicoil the hole it's going to create more swarf which will drop conveniently into the oil if you don't remove the cover first.

Exactly what we had to do.

Valve cover removed, re-threded the hole, and got a longer screw.

All sorted now, and she's back better than ever!

Just can't believe one rocker cover screw could cause so much hassel!

Cheers for all the input lads :)

Advertisement