Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2011/2012

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Damn it Rory, you type too fast! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

RoryMac wrote: »
    Well that was sh!te, dominated possession but aside from Maloney's free kick we never went close. I think we still need to be looking at bringing in a striker before the end of the window, Stokes had an off night on Sammy played his usual game. Not sure how many chances Sammy is gonna get before we cut our losses and get rid.

Only plus point for me is Cha looked very good, with Emilio out he might get more game time as i don't think we can have play 2 fullbacks as attacking as them together.

Agreed, You're always going to come up short with Stokes and Samaras leading the line. We looked toothless up front. We need another striker for sure but we'll probably have to get Murphy and Rasmussen off the wage bill first. Emilio was missed tonight imo, he brings a major threat to the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭RoryMac

PauloMN wrote: »
    I don't hold much hope of qualifying now

Our best chance of qualifying now is if UEFA kick Sion out for fielding ineligible players.

Pretty sad!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

RoryMac wrote: »
    Our best chance of qualifying now is if UEFA kick Sion out for fielding ineligible players.

Pretty sad!

Yep, unreal that it has to come down to that. When is the ruling?

Actually pissed off at all the results tbh. Teams like Celtic and Rangers should be cruising into the groups of the Europa League, if not the CL.

And Hearts fans might be a bit quieter now.... 0-5, ffs. Can't wait to see what the final agg score is next week. They are an embarrassment. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Anyone watchin the stream on Channel 67 see the highlights of us beating Juve 4-3 in 2001 and just think how far superior we were 10 years ago? :( Great goal from Sutton.

• Advertisement

Ruling after the return leg next week.

Yeah it shows how the quality in the SPL has dropped that there might not be any Scottish team in the group stages of CL or Europa.

Hard to tell how much better Sion will be at home but i'm worried if we play like that again we'll see a repeat of Utrect.

henke wrote: »
    Anyone watchin the stream on Channel 67 see the highlights of us beating Juve 4-3 in 2001 and just think how far superior we were 10 years ago? :( Great goal from Sutton.

I remember being disappointed about drawing 0-0 with Bayern in the group stages of the CL. Those days are gone now. Imagine what MON's team would have done to Sion tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I remember being disappointed about drawing 0-0 with Bayern in the group stages of the CL. Those days are gone now. Imagine what MON's team would have done to Sion tonight.

His team did get beat by Basel....;)

Weakest part of our team is undoubtedly our striker options

Murphy, Rasmussen, Samaras are all substandard players. Stokes barely makes the grade tbh

ColeTrain wrote: »

Yeah beating Liverpool easily in Anfield, beating Untied, Barcelona etc obviously we can't compete with the EPL for transfers and wages these days but how far we've dropped back is pretty shocking. At least our financial results were good! :rolleyes:

Dempsey wrote: »
    His team did get beat by Basel....;)

Weakest part of our team is undoubtedly our striker options

Murphy, Rasmussen, Samaras are all substandard players. Stokes barely makes the grade tbh

Basel weren't that bad, remember them giving a beating to Liverpool. Not to mention us making the final of this tournament the same season :)

Still agree with you there on the strikers. It cost us tonight.
    Murphy should be punted to anyone stupid enough to take him. I hope Mick McCarthy doesn't read this forum.
    Samaras is too hit and miss, all the ability in the world but doesn't show it 20% of the time.
    Rasmussen hasn't had a chance but will never make it.
    Agree on Stokes too, he knows how to find the net but can't be relied on to do it all on his own. Useless out wide too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

I'm not quite as gloomy, disappointing result and Celtic lacked a cutting edge but they still dominated the game and I still fancy them to go through. I have run out of excuses for Samaras though.

I'm not quite as gloomy, disappointing result and Celtic lacked a cutting edge but they still dominated the game and I still fancy them to go through. I have run out of excuses for Samaras though.
    Yes we can still beat them if Sion produce a similar display as they didn't offer too much threat but they could be a different proposition at home. Hopefully we can still do it though.

Your right about Samaras though. There are no excuses left for him. He really shouldn't be anywhere near the team. No doubt he has ability but that is irrelevant if he cant use it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Might be appreciated by some in here - http://backpagefootball.com/europe/henrik-larsson-the-king-of-kings/

Henrik Larsson - the king of kings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Might be appreciated by some in here - http://backpagefootball.com/europe/henrik-larsson-the-king-of-kings/

Henrik Larsson - the king of kings.

henke wrote: »
    Yes we can still beat them if Sion produce a similar display as they didn't offer too much threat but they could be a different proposition at home. Hopefully we can still do it though.

We are in a situation now where a League of Ireland team almost has as good a chance of qualifying for the Europa League as Rangers or Celtic have, and that is against better opposition than either of the Scottish clubs are up against. It just another of those little things which goes to show the dramatic collapse of Scottish football over the last few years.

We are in a situation now where a League of Ireland team almost has as good a chance of qualifying for the Europa League as Rangers or Celtic have, and that is against better opposition than either of the Scottish clubs are up against.

That fact was not lost on me last night either. Neither Celtic's or Rangers's opposition are seeded, Rovers's opposition are seeded. Scottish football is in a dreadful state and must improve. The possibility of Scotland not having any team in Europe at any level after August is just unacceptable. Celtic and Rangers simply must qualify for the groups of the Europa League this year.

I think the SPL/SFA need to take a long hard look at how they are running the league also, and look to other small/smaller countries like Denmark, Switzerland, Belgium, Turkey etc. to see how those countries are running their leagues - because they are all ranked higher than Scotland in the UEFA country rankings. Scotland are in serious danger of falling another two places below Israel and Cyprus ffs! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Not just the league, but the whole set-up of football, starting with youth teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Rumours going around that Paddy McCourt has handed in a transfer request.

Rumours going around that Paddy McCourt has handed in a transfer request.

Can't blame him, it must be soul destroying sitting on a bench watching Samaras do nothing for most the game and just to be brought on in the 83rd minute when it's more or less too late to have an impact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

According to the Scottish Sun McCourt has told Neil Lennon he wants to leave.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

According to today's Daily Mail Aston Villa are set to offer Celtic £5 million to buy Kayal. I hope the club won't sell him,we need to hold on to what we have.

dartbhoy wrote: »
    According to today's Daily Mail Aston Villa are set to offer Celtic £5 million to buy Kayal. I hope the club won't sell him,we need to hold on to what we have.

Hope Celtic tell them where to go with their £5m. I'd put Kayal more in the McGeady bracket of what I'd hope to get for him. Far too important a player to sell for that money.

As for McCourt, shame if he goes. I couldn't believe yet again when Lenny stuck him on with only a few mins to go - same old ****e. Can't blame him for wanting to get regular football.

Justice done. That was never a penalty. How many penalties does Celtic miss though, it is getting ridiculous!

Missed first half, was it as gash as the 2nd is thus far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Stokes should of had a penalty there

This is a dreadful performance by Celtic

If we play like this on Thursday, we can forget Europe for starters. This is awful. The defence is all over the place anytime St. Johnstone manage to get a ball in front of our goal, and the passing has been absolutely woeful from Celtic. McCourt, Stokes, Maloney don't seem to know what to do when they get the ball near the penalty area.

Terrible result :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

beginning to have serious doubts on lennon's ability to manage this team now... just seems like the best we can hope for is to narrowly miss out to the other crowd every year at this rate. results like today are what kept the title in ibrox last year, little will change on this evidence unless there's serious squad investment(not going to happen)

No goals in 180 mins of football at home against two crap sides. Possession is useless if you are toothless in front of goal. Dan looks very dodgy, I actually cannot remember when we last had a really solid back four - if it's not left-back woes, it's dodgy centre backs who can't seem to handle the utterly predictable long balls from the like of St. Johnstone.

Should have been 0-2 actually from what I saw, Sheridan's miss was shocking.

The need for a striker is really urgent - if we don't manage to secure one before the window closes, I fear for the title - because we're going to face that park the bus defending all season. If Murphy etc. are not going to be used, just get rid and get someone else in.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote: »
    The need for a striker is really urgent - if we don't manage to secure one before the window closes, I fear for the title - because we're going to face that park the bus defending all season. If Murphy etc. are not going to be used, just get rid and get someone else in.

The result yesterday could be a blessing in disguise -depending on how the board react. They need to ditch the dead wood and bring in a player or two with proper ability, hoping to beat Rangers on the cheap has failed 3 years in a row, if there is no decent investment in the team then I reckon the league will be Rangers' to lose.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement