Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

browsing information

Options
  • 22-06-2009 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi new to this, don't even know if i'm posting in the right place! Basically i want to know if people are able to view your browsing history or get your details if you click on their site?
    Thanks!:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

With no extraneous scripts, the web stats module of a website can determine some things about you - which browser you're using, what is your operating system, who is your ISP, and where abouts in the world you are located.
    Other info could be gathered, but that involves installing an agent on your computer, afaik. Xfire, for example, can gather your system info and upload them to your profile on xfire.com.

And why would any website gather your browsing history???

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭corkie

If your worried about what information your revealing to sites(or third party scripts) via your browser?

Visit www.grc.com and click on services shields up.

This information is available to the website owner and also to any third party scripts etc.

Also have a look at google analytics which is probably the most used across a lot of sites.
    If you have a gmail account, you can look at your own history.

Learn how to use your browser/extensions to block revealing the information to sites or services you don't trust.

My three favorite firefox extensions are: Adblock pro, No script and User agent switcher.

Regards,
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Advertisement