Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change domain but leave email as is

Options
  • 20-06-2009 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hey im developing a site for a client in Joomla. I host all my sites with blacknight and I was planning to do the same with this one. The client currently has hosting with hosting365.

Because the business relys heavily on email they want to avoid any possible changes that would normally come with transfering domains. Each staff members email is very private because of the nature of the business.

Is it possible for me to host the site with blacknight but leave the email with hosting365? If so, what details do I need to look at?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

Just edit the NS records of the domain to point to Blacknight and leave the MX records as they are.
    I do something remotely similar, only I have the MX records pointing elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense. Il give it a go.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You will be paying double for hosting though. Why move at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Sully wrote: »
    You will be paying double for hosting though. Why move at all?

Thats assuming you buy them a separate hosting package and don't just dump it onto an existing one.

Well I still have loads of space left on my blacknight account and I want to keep all the sites together if I can.

First thing I did was contact hosting365 and the reply back seemed a bit like a copy/paste job. The guy also didnt seem to understand what joomla was. Offering me windows servers and such.

There is an old thread on here where one of their representatives said they do joomla hosting and have experience with it but he hasn't been online in a few weeks.

Time is an issue (as with any job) so I think im just gonna go with what I know works.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

You don't host two websites on the one account. They need to be kept separate (ideally). I'm not sure the advantage of keeping everything together on the one host tbh, especially since its more hassle then its worth moving such a site.

As for H365 - we cant talk about hosting here so I wont comment.

It doesn't matter where the server is in terms of knowing what to do. There nearly all the same. You just need to save the FTP details in your FTP client, login when appropriate, drop the files into /www/ (or public_html) and work away. There is no difference between setting up a site on Blacknight or H365 - instead your spending more money which is a waste.

I might as well give h365 a go then. Gonna be waiting a few days to get the content off the client anyway.

Whats the issue with multiple sites on an account? If the bandwidth limit isnt an issue doesn't it work out much cheaper?

I might as well give h365 a go then. Gonna be waiting a few days to get the content off the client anyway.

Whats the issue with multiple sites on an account? If the bandwidth limit isnt an issue doesn't it work out much cheaper?

Because your domain points to /www/. You can only have one index.html file, which is what the browser looks for (well, amongst a few other extensions). So in order to have multiple sites, you need to create several sub-folders each housing a new website.

Having several sites means adding redirects for the domain to go to whatever sub folder. Plus, im sure that the clients expect a dedicated account for their website rather then being lumped in with everyone else.

Its highly irregular and most certinally is something that should not be done for live sites! You charge your client the appropriate amount for hosting, each.

I probably should have given a bit more information.

My hosting package at blacknight supports up to 30 separate domains. Each site is built using a completely separate joomla installation. Im not trying to pile sites on to the one domain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

You can host separate sites / domains with completely separate webspaces on our system without any issue

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If this is staying open can we start to leave out the provider specific stuff please? High level questions and comments only.

Advertisement