Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mail systems

Options
  • 07-04-2007 11:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭

i am lost about this! how do myspace and bebo etc internal mail system work? do u use database? or how is it done?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

It's complicated :D

It's probably a bespoke system developed just for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

i am lost about this! how do myspace and bebo etc internal mail system work? do u use database? or how is it done?

I'm not 100% sure, but they've always struck me as tarted up PM systems similar to what you'd get on a phpBB or SMF forum, and those aren't too hard to do. They are just two tables in a DB and a PHP page to grab the relivent info out of it.
    If you want you could grab either SMF or phpBB, install it and then muck about to see how they work, could be a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I am just wondering if this is related to your previous post about ASP usernames etc. If so you will need to look at CDONTS for this. Plenty of articles out there on how this is all put together

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭El_mariachi

Ginger wrote:
    I am just wondering if this is related to your previous post about ASP usernames etc. If so you will need to look at CDONTS for this. Plenty of articles out there on how this is all put together

not really friend, i am just really getting into asp and php and tried to make a mail system but couldn't figure out how to or what way it works!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd use a database with a cross ref table.

Usertable has your id, name, etc etc
    PM table has the pm_id, message, sender, time etc etc
    Cross ref table has PM id and User id which both reference the revelant keys on the other table (and both make a composite key for the cross ref table). Making the pm_id in the cross ref table unique will create a one-to-many relationship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Use a db table, for a basic one have below:
    Primary key - int - ID
    Foreign Key - string - sender
    Foreign Key - string - Reciever
    - text - Message

Dats a quicky/basic one that is linked to the user table aswell, just an idea to give you a boost!

Giblet wrote:
    I'd use a database with a cross ref table.

Usertable has your id, name, etc etc
    PM table has the pm_id, message, sender, time etc etc
    Cross ref table has PM id and User id which both reference the revelant keys on the other table (and both make a composite key for the cross ref table). Making the pm_id in the cross ref table unique will create a one-to-many relationship.

so it uses a Database!? isn't that really unsafe? like Admin or anyone who has DB access can read ur messages etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

They are providing you with a free service tbh. Any admin on boards can read your pm's too, what's the difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

They can also hash the values

They can be encrypted, but yeah. Sure all they have to do is change your password as well, regardless of where the data is stored. A database is no less secure than any other method, as long as encryption is used. It would have to be encrypted where ever it was stored.

• Advertisement

Giblet wrote:
    They can be encrypted, but yeah. Sure all they have to do is change your password as well, regardless of where the data is stored. A database is no less secure than any other method, as long as encryption is used. It would have to be encrypted where ever it was stored.

sorry for been a noob but how is encryption done in asp?
    Code wrote:
    <%
    Function encrypt(x1, x2)
    s = ""
    t = 0
    For i = 1 to len(x1)
    t = t + asc(mid(x1,i,1))
    Next
    For i = 1 to len(x2)
    y = (t + asc(mid(x2,i,1)) * asc(mid(x2,((i+1) mod len(x2)+1),1))) mod 255
    s = s & chr(y)
    Next
    For i = (len(x2) + 1) to 10
    If t>598.8 Then t = 598.8
    y = t^3*i mod 255
    s = s & chr(y)
    Next
    encrypt = s
    End Function
    %>
    thats some code i found on internet no idea how to unencrypt it once its encrypted?

I'd use a library to be honest.

Advertisement