Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai 99 Accent Intermittent starting problem

• 12-08-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭

Have an 99 Accent 1.4, car turns over fine but just won't start sometimes. It starts alright in the Morning and Evening when I'm leaving for work and home. The car never stalls or anything, but sometimes though while running it misfires (takes hiccups). It usually happens for in-between journeys, other day around 7.30 pm went to friends place 5 minutes from my place, when I came back say in 10 mins it wouldn't start, I tried for 10-15 mins but it didn't start, then rang the AA guy he arrived in 20 mins and the moment he turned on, wallah no problem it starts. I turned it off and tried it again a few times and it started perfectly there.

I know this could be anything but is there any common fault on these that would cause like Ignition switch/Fuel Pump/Sensors.

would appreciate any Info/Advice.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Camshaft position sensor is possible (happened to one I had)
    Common enough on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the circular antenna around the ignition barrel was a popular enough issue with these, they aren't dear from hyundai, around €30 or 40. crank pickup sensor was a bit of an issue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭imtdub

Thanks lads.

Just an update.

It looks like the starting problem is sorted atleast for now. The mechanic replaced the crankshaft and camshaft sensors, he also replaced the battery, it's almost a week now and it has been starting well. But I haven't had any short journey's as that's when I had original starting problem, anyway fingers crossed.

But now I've another problem as car starts misfiring while running, even though I got it fully serviced recently. I don't see any leakage of power. I know the petrol's don't have fuel filter. Do you know what I should be looking at?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i thought , before replace sensors, have to do diagnostics, which is not too expensive, and maybe you had to get only one sensor.

misfiring could be caused by number things.... ignition coils, sparkplug leads, spark plugs, check the timing, or another sensor gone. one my friend had hyundai , it was badly missfiring... turned out was working on two cylinders even when camshaft sensor , airflow meter and crankshaft sensor disconnected .... if your does same, then it means car went in to limp mode, and certainly need to do diagnostics, if connect to ecu fails, it means ecu at fault .... which is pretty common problem for that age hyndai cars ... i know it because i was digging a lot to find out whats wrong with friend car, eventually it went to scrapyard, as there was other problems ... and it was not feasible to get it fixed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Mar4ix wrote: »
    if connect to ecu fails, it means ecu at fault .... which is pretty common problem for that age hyndai cars

i worked in a hyundai service centre for a few years. i literally don't remember ever seeing a single failed ECU.

if i were the OP i would be looking at a new coil pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭Mar4ix

i worked in a hyundai service centre for a few years. i literally don't remember ever seeing a single failed ECU.

if i were the OP i would be looking at a new coil pack.

Good, but i've was reading in number forums, that if disconnected all sensors and failing connect diagnostic equipment, it is ecu fault.
    there was somebody else trying connect to it with fairly professional diagnostic equipment , and failed. ... other mechanic verdict also was ecu at fault ... when found some ecu repair shops, and connected regarding this question , said they have to deal pretty often with oul hyndai ecu .. .. so i didnt took from nowhere, just said what i found out.

Mar4ix wrote: »
    i thought , before replace sensors, have to do diagnostics, which is not too expensive, and maybe you had to get only one sensor.

misfiring could be caused by number things.... ignition coils, sparkplug leads, spark plugs, check the timing, or another sensor gone. one my friend had hyundai , it was badly missfiring... turned out was working on two cylinders even when camshaft sensor , airflow meter and crankshaft sensor disconnected .... if your does same, then it means car went in to limp mode, and certainly need to do diagnostics, if connect to ecu fails, it means ecu at fault .... which is pretty common problem for that age hyndai cars ... i know it because i was digging a lot to find out whats wrong with friend car, eventually it went to scrapyard, as there was other problems ... and it was not feasible to get it fixed.

He did the diagnostic and only replaced the camshaft first but that didn't help, so he replaced the other one too with the battery even though I had a GS battery less than 8 months old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

What diagnostic equipment was he using??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 203 ✭✭88manta

if it was snap on, its a good make. should be more than capable of the job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

Reminds me of a series (of something like this) going on around south dublin for a few years. A lad was calling out servicing cars, and would put his sticker in the back window. 'Serviced by G**$'

He must have had a bloody big box of one type of cheap sh*t spark plugs; so many cars died a mysterious death, I would swear he was getting commission from the scrapyard off the pier in Dunlaoghaire.

Sorry, rant over: I have an Accent at home, the Ignition Antenna was (and still is) an issue, other than that, there is filter in the fuel pump outlet under the rear seat.
    But i have heard about pump problems caused by dirt in the tank, and corroded connectors at the pump.

I don't know what make it is... anyway I took the car to the mechanic. and he gave it a good bit of gas but there was no sign of misfiring. I told him it's not happening all the time its only happening intermittently. He said it could be anything Spark plugs, the cable, the coils anything...bring it to me when it happens again. I guess I'll just start circling around his garage and as soon as the problem arises I'll pop in to his garage...:D

whizbang wrote: »
    Reminds me of a series (of something like this) going on around south dublin for a few years. A lad was calling out servicing cars, and would put his sticker in the back window. 'Serviced by G**$'

He must have had a bloody big box of one type of cheap sh*t spark plugs; so many cars died a mysterious death, I would swear he was getting commission from the scrapyard off the pier in Dunlaoghaire.

Sorry, rant over: I have an Accent at home, the Ignition Antenna was (and still is) an issue, other than that, there is filter in the fuel pump outlet under the rear seat.
    But i have heard about pump problems caused by dirt in the tank, and corroded connectors at the pump.

It did hit me that it could be dirt in the fuel tank as I noticed that problem was a wee bit more frequent when the fuel was low and I said that to the mechanic he said he'll give me some sort of fuel tank cleaner...

Whizbank - thanks very much for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭siralan

I have a 2008 hyundai i30 petrol and the main dealer garage has told me the ECU is gone. A new ecu fitted is working out at 1100 euro which seems very high. When i found a couple of scrap yard ECUs the dealer told me they werent compatible. The difference in cost is the second hand one is 150 but im guessing the dealer doesnt want to put in the second one for obvious reasons.
    Any advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭whizbang

First get a second opinion. Whats wrong with the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60 ✭✭pie-man

You really should get a second opinion from a good indie ideally with Hyundai GDS diag equipment. I know a good immobilizer guy if your stuck pm me

Advertisement