Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car sitting up now won't start

• 09-09-2014 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭

So I've a car which has been sitting up a while (~3 months, stupid me meant to go start it up every week or two but didn't). Anyway went to start it last night and no surprise it didn't start.

What happened was, it sound like the starter turned over but very slowly and then just stopped. I then hooked up some jump cables and tried again and the same happened and it sounded the same. Now the fact that with the jump cables hooked up it still sounded the same makes me think it might not be that the battery is just dead and that something else may be seized or stiff.

So looking for advice what to do. Some ideas I had were to try turn engine over by hand a few times just to loosen it up, was thinking of putting in 5th jacking up one side and rotating the wheel. Had also half thought of putting drop of oil in cylinders while doing this. Also maybe to try put a drop of petrol in cylinders before starting.

Then again maybe its that my starter is gone after sitting idle for that long, I recall hearing about tapping with a spanner while trying to start to loosen it up, does this work, not sure though as I say sounds like is turning over slowly and then stopping.

Any and all advice appreciated, car is 97 1.4 Honda Civic if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

How long did you turn it over while on jump-leads, and what were you jumping it with? It should shake off the cobwebs after a while, I wouldn't expect the thing to be that out-of-it after three months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Being a honda you could probably leave it for 10 years and it would turn freely.
    Id get a multi meter and check the battery. If its low, 12v or less then charge it up overnight. Are you jump leads good? Are your terminals clean and making a good connection? Maybe try using the earth direct to the engine rather than the negative terminal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

Get stronger jump leads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

The car I'm jumping it off is a 2.0l Honda accord so should be plenty enough juice in it to do the job. Think the jump leads are decent enough, no mean the best but not the worst either.

To be fair I didn't try for too long yesterday as had to head out. I had the negative attached to the civic body. Car is out on the road so not ideal for leaving charging overnight. I'll have another go this evening, give the terminals a clean and that and leave the jump leads on a while to try build up some charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

JoeySully wrote: »
    Being a honda you could probably leave it for 10 years and it would turn freely.

My old Accord was parked up in the elements for over a year and started first turn of the key :pac: That thing was a absolute trooper in fairness.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

I had the same issue with an avensis before, luckily there's a hill down from my house. Had 2 lads push it as I done the lazy part and sat in with it in 2nd gear and the clutch pressed, then as I picked up speed i kept turning it over and release the clutch and reved the hell out of it. Took her for a good long spin after that.

She's going ever since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

cruizer101 wrote: »
    The car I'm jumping it off is a 2.0l Honda accord so should be plenty enough juice in it to do the job. Think the jump leads are decent enough, no mean the best but not the worst either.

To be fair I didn't try for too long yesterday as had to head out. I had the negative attached to the civic body. Car is out on the road so not ideal for leaving charging overnight. I'll have another go this evening, give the terminals a clean and that and leave the jump leads on a while to try build up some charge.

Take the battery out and charge it overnight, or replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Connect jump leads but wait 10 mins before trying to start it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

As biko says ; a 'dead' battery will drop the output from a good one so you may think you have 2 bad batteries .
    And even if the jump leads are fairly light they will certainly be able to charge up the dead battery. Also if still having problems you could check the battery connections - being tight doesn't always mean they're good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭dougie-lampkin

dooroy wrote: »
    ...Also if still having problems you could check the battery connections - being tight doesn't always mean they're good .

Always worth checking the earth strap is good also, by running a spare jump lead from the battery neg terminal to the engine block. The earth strap does degrade over time even if the battery connection is tight :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

I've seen ECU's f*cked by letting the battery go dead. No amount of jumping will save it.

Better hope this isn't the case

dgt wrote: »
    I've seen ECU's f*cked by letting the battery go dead. No amount of jumping will save it.

Better hope this isn't the case
    Hope not, all the dash lights and that still come on so hopefully not that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,430 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Take the battery out of the Accord and stick it in your car, if it starts you need to either recharge or replace your own battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I had the negative attached to the civic body. .
    Try attaching it to the actual engine, body may not always give great contact.
    Start donor car and idle for 10 minutes, then when you try to start your car bring the donor cars revs up to 1500 or so rpm and hold them there while you try to start yours.

Thanks all for the advice, the jump leads I had weren't actually great ones, they were 10mm ones which said suitable for up to 1500cc so I went and picked up a set of 25mm suitable for up to 5000cc (maybe overkill but they were only a fiver more than 16mm for 2000cc). Hooked them up connecting the negative to an engine mount and left it a minute or two and Bob's your uncle it started grand.

There was however another problem, at some stage my Dad had moved the car and reefed up the handbrake on it, why I'm not sure its on a flat road. Anyway the rear brakes were seized so took a bit of 1st, reverse, 1st, reverse, 1st.... rockin back and forth to free them but thats grand now.

Now the problem is it is rough idling, normally idles ~700rpm , its now going between 500 and 1500. Its strange because when started initially it was grand it was just after a few minutes it started, so now have to try diagnose that.

Might try new sparks and air filter, check nothing set up a nest in the air intake while it was sitting up, any other suggestions welcome on how to diagnose it. I hear coil pack and cables can be common reason for it too.

Thanks again for the advice, any other advice on what to do other than start it every week or so, as it will be sitting up a while longer yet, are more than welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'd top up with fresh petrol and a full bottle of Dipetane, then go down the motorway in high revs (car must be at full operating temp first) to blow out the cobwebs..
    But yeah, have a look at the air filter, it's good to do occasionally anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Thanks all for the advice, the jump leads I had weren't actually great ones, they were 10mm ones which said suitable for up to 1500cc so I went and picked up a set of 25mm suitable for up to 5000cc (maybe overkill but they were only a fiver more than 16mm for 2000cc). Hooked them up connecting the negative to an engine mount and left it a minute or two and Bob's your uncle it started grand.

There was however another problem, at some stage my Dad had moved the car and reefed up the handbrake on it, why I'm not sure its on a flat road. Anyway the rear brakes were seized so took a bit of 1st, reverse, 1st, reverse, 1st.... rockin back and forth to free them but thats grand now.

Now the problem is it is rough idling, normally idles ~700rpm , its now going between 500 and 1500. Its strange because when started initially it was grand it was just after a few minutes it started, so now have to try diagnose that.

Might try new sparks and air filter, check nothing set up a nest in the air intake while it was sitting up, any other suggestions welcome on how to diagnose it. I hear coil pack and cables can be common reason for it too.

Thanks again for the advice, any other advice on what to do other than start it every week or so, as it will be sitting up a while longer yet, are more than welcome.
    Its more than likely an idle air control valve issue. It might need to be cleaned and if that doesn't solve it(it should) then replacement idle air control valve may be needed.

Id drive it for about a week first to see if it corrects itself as sometimes it can(my one did after a few days)

Check that their is enough of coolant first though as that can cause rough running too.

there is no coil packs in civics of that vintage and leads don't really cause the symptoms you are describing.

Advertisement