Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Micra 1999 won't start

• 07-09-2014 4:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭

Drove my nissan micra 1999 to newbridge house ,has been going perfect no problems,switched it off and when i came back it would not start.Got towed home and since have found that no spark is going to spark plugs.Can a distributor go this quickly or is there something else i can try before i start replacing parts.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Sounds like distributer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭dooroy

Did you take off the distributor cap and have a look inside - could be a rotor problem or worn contacts inside the cap etc .
    If the car has a seperate coil ( can't remember how these are set up) then check if there is a spark from the coil lead - remove coil lead from dist cap; hold the end of the lead 10/15 mm from a metal part of the engine and have someone crank the engine . If a spark there then prob in distributor - as I said check rotor and make sure coil lead is not corroded in dist cap etc .
    As it happened suddenly it could be a broken wire somewhere . Just have a good look at all connectors etc .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there any noise at all when you turn key? Did you check all plugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ninty

Yes all plugs not working, engine trys to start as normal when i turn key, thank you for replies .will check rotor and coil

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

Shove it into a hole and buy a proper car. things cant be that bad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Let's focus on helpfulness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

Sounds like a distributor alright, mine went a few months ago while driving, car lost all engine power and the dash lit up like a xmas tree.

Should have no problem picking one up in a breakers for about 20-30 quid and a garage shouldn't charge you much to fit and adjust the timing.

Make sure the timing is done correctly, the place where I got mine fixed told me the timing was off (strange that they checked the timing before they took the old one off ? ) but that they fixed it when in fact they were wrong and I had to readjust it myself afterward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

no one has said fuel pump yet? can you hear the car prime the fuel pump?

checked all the fuses?

it would be very weird for a distributor cap to just die without some notice before hand, at leas in my opinion. Hope it's nothing mad dear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

truedoom wrote: »
    it would be very weird for a distributor cap to just die without some notice before hand, at leas in my opinion. Hope it's nothing mad dear!

Any of the ones I've heard of going just went suddenly, the Micra's are known for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

truedoom wrote: »
    no one has said fuel pump yet? can you hear the car prime the fuel pump?

checked all the fuses?

Because a failed fuel pump won't cause a "no spark" situation. A faulty distributed will and they can go just like that sometimes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement