Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development.ie - irish software development community site

Options
  • 23-01-2007 12:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi Guys,
    Talking with 'Evil Phi'l and he has kindly agreed to allow this post.

We are creating development.ie as a resource, knowledge base, forum, blogspot and news aggregator etc for the irish software dev community. As such we would like you views on what you think would make it be as useful as possible. We want to cover the main technologies in use today with no allegiance as such to any particular one.

If you would like more information please visit http://www.development.ie

Or you can just add to this thread with you views.

Our initial launch will include
    1. Forums - phpbb
    2. Blogs - Roller
    3. New content from contributors.
    4. Aggregated content.

Please feel free to tell us what else you would like to see from the site. We want to get people involved from the very start...

Regards,
    Andrew

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well you've had a pm from me already and I owe you another one later today. On top of that my own area is .Net: C# and Asp.Net. SqlServer 2000 on the back end (for now). Being working with C# for 4 years now - all as a contractor. Prior to that I had 6 years VB 4 - 6 with about 18 months of Java thrown in. And even before that I was working with HTML and a inhouse scripting language that is now defunct (2 years). Suppose you could include javascript in all of this too.

I'd like to help out on the C# side of things but I'll have to get a better picture of what's involved. I would like to write some articles though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 development.ie

That is fantastic Evil Phil, your pencilled in for contribution. If you can send an email to info@development.ie that would be fantastic. We would like to post all contributors names on the site before and when we launch so that everyone involved gets a shout.

The initial format of the site will be a separation into different technology areas:

Java, J2ee , jsp etc
    vb, .net, c# , asp etc
    php
    Ruby on Rails
    Databases -sql server, oracle, mysql, posgreslq etc
    Graphic Design - css, tools, tips, design etc
    Project Planning

We hope to have a good mix of articles, tech blogs, news feeds and more.

My particular area of expertise is J2EE and java web and application development which I have for 7 years experience in or more, VB & ASP & COM & DCOM..some .NET for a couple of years, RoR for the last year or or and the rest....

{Dev}elopment.ie
    Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

I suppose your biggest competition would be http://www.irishdev.com/

My own aspect is VB 5-6, Classic ASP, SQL Server 6.5-> 2005, VB.NET, ASP.NET 1.1/2.0,. I have my MCSD and will be heading for all 3 MCPD certifications, MCITP DB DEV, DBA and BI.. Also program in Witango

"Competition", as u call them ( I would say like minded individuals ) , is good....irishdev.com , developers.ie ... it's all good.

Good skillset Ginger...send us an email to info@development.ie so we can keep you in the loop , if u wish?

{dev}elopment.ie
    Andrew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

"Competition" well you know what i mean! I suppose it wont be a case of one vs the other ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

You should maybe include how to use XML into your listings as its used a lot these days!

Comes under rendering pages in the form of XML & XSLT, web services in terms of SOAP & XML as data exchange format, and also it's widespread use in relation to configuration of app servers, frameworks...etc.....

{dev}elopment.ie
    Andrew

Email: info@development.ie and we will add you to our mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Obelisk29

Count me in if you want any contributions on COBOL, PL/1, CICS, IMS DB & DC, DB2, Assembler H :)

(Why do I suddenly feel old!).

O29

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭mwrf

great, I look forward to seeing the site up and running.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Good, there's not enough of a community in Ireland for this type of thing. Personally I would like to see material related to SOA as well as perhaps ERP (Oracle) related material.

• Advertisement

Just wondering if many people (especially contractors use it). Do you find it useful for getting work and have you seen it used much by people in Ireland. Personally I've only been using it a short time but alot of IT folks in the US and Europe use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

This is a shame none of those websites deal with C/C++

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

mick.fr wrote:
    This is a shame none of those websites deal with C/C++

Apparently somebody needs to step up and do something about this *hint hint* :)

But seriously you are right, is there any good C/C++ resources out there mick? It's not a common topic here on boards.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 1,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭satchmo

Evil Phil wrote:
    But seriously you are right, is there any good C/C++ resources out there mick? It's not a common topic here on boards.
    Yeah and I find that a real shame; I keep coming here hoping for some decent C++/OOP discussions and all I seem to find is beginner SQL and PHP questions. Not that there's anything wrong with these topics at all, but I'm starting to lose faith in the programming board!

As for resources, I find http://www.cplusplus.com to be very good, as well as http://cppreference.com. Unfortunately I don't have the time to contribute anything useful, but I'd be very interested in seeing some C++ coverage at this new site.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Apparently somebody needs to step up and do something about this *hint hint* :)

What do you mean ?

Slap him he is french....

Personnaly I am a novice at C++ and I can not really get deeply involved but for my OpenBSD based project I need to find some C++ developer, so was going to post some stuffs on Irish forums, but can not find any C++ forum so far in Ireland.

I guess I would have to try to find somebody in India, US or Estern Europe or Russia lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

I'd like to throw my small hat into the large ring. I'll bang you on an email.

Anyone know what these guys are up to? Emailed them for an update but no response. I was excited at the prospect of this.

Out of interest are there other Java Interest Groups in Ireland? Already a member of Oracle Users group but would like to be involved in the Irish Java Community as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Likewise, what's going on? I could offer my services on pHp, mysql, and I'm gettin fairly versed in css etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Anyone know what these guys are up to? Emailed them for an update but no response. I was excited at the prospect of this.

Ditto

• Advertisement
Advertisement