Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

'Hard' science fiction films

• 08-10-2015 8:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

Anybody recommend some 'hard' sci-fi movies? I've seen pretty much all the bigger budget ones, and a few of the lesser known one's. Have an itching to watch some more.

Some of the lesser known one's I've seen:

Europa report
    Moon
    Primer
    2001: A Space Odyssey (and the sequel)
    Andromeda Strain
    Etc. Etc.

Basically a sci-fi movie where the science is somewhat realistic and not over the top. I know there is a science-fiction forum but doesn't seem to be very active.

On another note, what's your favourite hard sci-fi movie?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I always thought The Abyss was very good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Silent Running.

THX 1138 (pre Star Wars film by George Lucas)

Dark Star (kind of a spoof but an intelligent one).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Anybody recommend some 'hard' sci-fi movies? I've seen pretty much all the bigger budget ones, and a few of the lesser known one's. Have an itching to watch some more.

Some of the lesser known one's I've seen:

Europa report
    Moon
    Primer
    2001: A Space Odyssey (and the sequel)
    Andromeda Strain
    Etc. Etc.

Basically a sci-fi movie where the science is somewhat realistic and not over the top. I know there is a science-fiction forum but doesn't seem to be very active.

On another note, what's your favourite hard sci-fi movie?

erm........:D

darkdubh wrote: »
    Silent Running.

THX 1138 (pre Star Wars film by George Lucas)

Dark Star (kind of a spoof but an intelligent one).

Has some of the worst science known to man, the whole basis of the film is daft hippy nonsense - three greenhouse ships to house everything sent off to go round Saturn a billion miles from the only source of light worth a damn, meanwhile on planet Earth its 75f everywhere, and so on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

I liked Oblivion too.
    The Alien movies are good, even if they're a bit on the far fetched side.
    Ex Machina,
    Gravity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Unfortunetly there are very few. "Contact" is considered one of the finest, it got some pure science award a few years ago, op covered most of rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

Cargo was decent. It's not particularly original, but it's well made. It's a German-language Swiss film.

Dark City

Runaway (a Michael Crichton film)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Solaris (both the russian original and the George Clooney remake)
    Sunshine (Danny Boyle)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Mizu_Ger wrote: »
    [
    Runaway (a Michael Crichton film)

Is that the 80s film with Tom Selleck working for the group that tracks down automated stuff in houses and stuff that goes crazy? I loved that film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Is that the 80s film with Tom Selleck working for the group that tracks down automated stuff in houses and stuff that goes crazy? I loved that film.

Yeah. I haven't seen it for a long time, but remember enjoying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Lads, Gattaca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,107 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The Man Who Fell to Earth - more of an allegorical movie than sci-fi, but it's still great.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Vinculus

As the weather here was so bad last Saturday, I spent it watching hard or at the least very puzzling sci-fi movies.
    I watched:
    I-origen: It's all about the eyes.
    Ex machina: No description needed.
    Coherence: A Multi Universe dinner party goes pearshaped or spherical depending on your point of view.
    Upstream colour: I'm still scratching my head about this one but it was a pleasure to watch.

As a life long fan of science fiction movies, it great to see that less importance is giving to ray-guns and nasty creatures and more emphases on science and it's possibilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

loyatemu wrote: »
    Solaris (both the russian original and the George Clooney remake)
    Sunshine (Danny Boyle)

Sunshine is disappointing for me, most of the film is great and very enjoyable until it gets to that part where it turns into Event Horizon.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The original Solaris is well worth a fast-forward watch (that driving scene goes on for ever)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Dr. Mantis Toboggan

Event Horizon, if you're looking for something 'hard,' not all that realistic though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Mizu_Ger wrote: »

Dark City

:eek:

Not sure you understand what the term means (Wiki):
    "Hard science fiction is a category of science fiction characterized by an emphasis on scientific accuracy or technical detail or both."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

erm........:D

Haha touche :pac: Although in my defense I know so many people who haven't seen it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭clever user name

Duggy747 wrote: »
    Sunshine is disappointing for me, most of the film is great and very enjoyable until it gets to that part where it turns into Event Horizon.

Agreed! It was great up until the point they tried to turn it into a horror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Blade Runner
    Minority Report
    Capricorn One
    Countdown
    Contact
    Interstellar
    Space Cowboys (the science is pretty well done!)
    Europa Report

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Threads.

If you want 'hard' science fact, it'll top your list. It'll also disturb the fvck out of you and make you feel like sh1t for weeks. Nothing good happens in this film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Interstellar had good science, although it doesn't rate highly on my science fiction list. Gravity is good as well, but stretches the science a lot in the regard that travelling from space station to space station is possible with the different orbits (on the other hand it has no premise without this).
    Blade runner is one of my favorites, probably not the best with the zoom and enhance scene and flying cars etc but it's a good show. Personally though as long as a movie isn't slapping bad science in my face blatantly (think the core) and it fits in fine with the world it's OK by me.

Lemming wrote: »
    Threads.

If you want 'hard' science fact, it'll top your list. It'll also disturb the fvck out of you and make you feel like sh1t for weeks. Nothing good happens in this film.

Gave me fuppin' nightmares as a kid!!!

I always laugh when I hear people complain about life today - feck it, if you grew up in the 1980s it was recession, the threat of nuclear annihilation and stuff like this on the telly!

Now, it's a bit of a recession (boohoo, interest rates are zero!), IS and 'there's no free wifi!' :D

The 'Day After' is another one like this - the US version of Threads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Jawgap wrote: »
    Gave me fuppin' nightmares as a kid!!!

The 'Day After' is another one like this - the US version of Threads!

Gave me nightmares as an adult!! :pac:

The Day after is very sanitised by comparison to Threads. It's overly dramatised and focuses too heavily on the specific characters which makes lessens the impact of the story.

Threads by comparison is simply brutal. Very matter of fact. And whilst yes it 'focuses' on two families, it uses them as a means to show the bigger picture rather than on whether or not little joey misses little mary. The characters are almost distilled to just another few in a sea of faceless millions dead, dying, or unfortunate enough to have survived.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I feel I have to defend Sunshine’s ending. There’s a horror/slasher element to the third act, certainly, but mostly I think Boyle/Gardland were going for Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now. The Beach and 28 Days Later have similar third acts about people venturing beyond civilisation and encountering madness while teetering on the edge of madness themselves. Event Horizon, while similar, always seemed more Lovecraftian to me.

Jawgap wrote: »
    Blade Runner
    Minority Report
    Capricorn One
    Countdown
    Contact
    Interstellar
    Space Cowboys (the science is pretty well done!)
    Europa Report

Ah now - Ground Control speaks to the Mars lander in real time (you'd think someone would have realised it was a conspiracy when that happened! ;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Armageddon

**runs**

Interstellar was probably the best recent hard science film (even if it went a bit weird at the end)

Contact was an under-rated film and worth taking a look.

Armageddon

**runs**

Interstellar was probably the best recent hard science film (even if it went a bit weird at the end)

Contact was an under-rated film and worth taking a look.

Deep Impact was probably closer to the mark in terms of science! But not by much!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Stop what you're doing and go watch Timecrimes :eek::):D

Also, be sure and catch The Martian soon on a giant cinema screen in 2D. It's a sci-fi triumph and one of the hardest science fiction films for a Hollywood tentpole movie you could hope for. It more than made up for the disappointment of Interstellar.

One classic oldie I'd recommend if you're up for it wold be Colossus - The Forbin Project. In three words: Skynet from 1970.

And an obvious great which you've probably seen: Children of Men.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,599 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Is everyone not mentioning The Martian on purpose?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

IMO Interstellar failed as hard scifi when it decided to use gravity as time distortion, but just handwaved away the fact that a gravitational field strong enough to do that is also a gravitational field that a) would crush humans almost instantaneously, and b) have a ridiculously high escape velocity.

Personally I always liked Demon Seed, because its take on AI was a bit different from what you normally get. I saw Uncanny at a film festival recently and it was pretty good in this regard too.

Fysh wrote: »
    IMO Interstellar failed as hard scifi when it decided to use gravity as time distortion, but just handwaved away the fact that a gravitational field strong enough to do that is also a gravitational field that a) would crush humans almost instantaneously, and b) have a ridiculously high escape velocity.

Personally I always liked Demon Seed, because its take on AI was a bit different from what you normally get. I saw Uncanny at a film festival recently and it was pretty good in this regard too.

Thorne's book 'The Science of Interstellar' discusses gravity/time at length and explains how it might be possible.

......and just because he explains it doesn't mean I understand it enough to summarise it here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Wedwood

Some of the early sci fi movies were worth a look:

Forbidden Planet
    Robinson Crusoe on Mars
    When Worlds Collide
    Silent Running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Akrasia wrote: »
    Is everyone not mentioning The Martian on purpose?

I wouldn't say a whole lot of people have seen it at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Goldstein wrote: »

One classic oldie I'd recommend if you're up for it wold be Colossus - The Forbin Project. In three words: Skynet from 1970.

I went back and watched this recently, a lot darker than I remembered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭Apogee

Contagion is worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flatty

Pitch black and chronicles of riddick are a good ride.
    Really enjoyed the recent blockbuster with your man with the tape.
    Tremors is outstanding ����

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flatty

Pitch black and chronicles of riddick are a good ride.
    Really enjoyed the recent blockbuster with your man with the tape.
    Tremors is outstanding 👍🏽

Advertisement