Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the best adapter for a US-produced blu-ray player with EU conversion option?

Options
  • 11-09-2015 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I recently bought a multi-region Sony Blu-Ray player, it comes with a US plug with an EU adapter.

I've been looking forward to using it but I'm aware of the dangers of not using the correct adapter for such products, and don't want to take that risk without a suitable Irish/UK converter. Can I buy one anywhere in Dublin (Maplins, DID, etc?).

Also, mods if this is in the wrong forum please feel free to move.

Thanks,
    Michael

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Just cut off the US plug and put on a 3 pin plug top.

I think American appliances run at 60Hz but there'd be a tolerance built into it so more than likely will run at 50-60Hz.

I don't think there's any other fancy gadgets required.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Can you elaborate a little more? I don't want to take any risks and do anything stupid because I'm not very tech-savy.

The plug is 110-240V and has a frequency of 50-60 Hertz.

Also, the cable is something like this:

images%2Fcda7d61b-b18f-4505-82c1-c43eba74eace.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Ah sorry I only half read your post.

So the pic you linked above plugs into an adaptor of some sort? Is it a 3 pin adaptor or one of the the other european adaptors?

If it says on the box that it will operate between 110-240v/50-60Hz then it should be fine to use over here without issue. The power supply in Ireland fluctuates between 220v-240V we operate at a frequency of 50Hz this again fluctuates but it will only be negligible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

The cable (shown in the pic) is connected to a US 2-pin plug.

The player comes with an adapter for the EU 2-pin plug.

I'm guessing if I buy an adapter for 3 pins I will be all set to use the BR player here?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,353 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

karaokeman wrote: »
    The cable (shown in the pic) is connected to a US 2-pin plug.

Is the US plug a chunky piece of kit similar to a mobile phone charger? Look at the plug and see if it mentions an output voltage. If it does and it's a number like 12v or 24V, it's probably safe to use with an adapter because you mentioned that it says 100-240V which would be the input voltage.
    The player comes with an adapter for the EU 2-pin plug.

An adapter won't change the voltage or the frequency. If you have a device like a laptop DC adapter, they can usually handle 100-240V so all you need is a travel adapter and you can plug it in anywhere. Similarly, most Apple chargers can handle that range of voltages so an adapter is all you need.
    I'm guessing if I buy an adapter for 3 pins I will be all set to use the BR player here?

Not necessarily.

• Advertisement
Advertisement