Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trainwreck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Initial reviews are positive, even some nice words for LeBron as an actor.

I've been wondering why Amy Schumer's brand of comedy is getting traction these days, and I think it's the way she shows how crazy and dysfunctional women can be, but without being too negative about either women or men. In this movie, for example, the guy (Bill Hader) is a nice decent guy first and foremost, and the comedy comes from May's character figuring out how to deal with that. That fits in with Apatow's style too e.g. in The 40-Year-Old Virgin the titular character (Andy) was probably the least dysfunctional of his social circle - a circle which got considerably wider and weirder by the end.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I had no idea who John Cena was: according to IMDB he's one of those WWE wrestlers. If some of these improvised lines are any guide, he has a future in comedy too.

Reading about this, it seems that Amy's really gotten everything she wanted e.g. the script called for a "Tilda Swinton type", so Apatow called up Tilda Swinton. LeBron James' part was written specifically to try to get him, and it worked.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Saw this today, loved it. I was crying laughing in some parts. I'm a fan of Amy's and I think you need to be to rate this highly
    If you loved bridesmaids, this won't disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭pah

bnt wrote: »

I had no idea who John Cena was: according to IMDB he's one of those WWE wrestlers .

Check out 12 rounds. Generic action fare but Cena is very likeable.

Much like The Rock, John Cena is an incredibly likable screen presence who has a lot of charisma and a lot of talent. But most importantly, he's also one of the most decent and likable human beings on the planet. Cena has made over 400 Make a Wish dreams come true, the first celebrity to do so and he is keen to break a 1000 within the next few years.

This may be one of my all time favorite pictures.
    013_RAW_12022013_0054.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Aw that's so cute, didn't realise he was famous, he's some great one liners in it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Rfrip wrote: »
    Aw that's so cute, didn't realise he was famous, he's some great one liners in it

He's one of WWE biggest star's ever, he's top 5 along with The Rock, Stone Cold Steve Austin, Hulk Hogan, Undertaker and Then there's Cena. Unlike the Rock he's been in WWE during it's leaner years so isn't as well known in the commercial world. Good to see him moving out of the WWE movies and into Hollywood, he's going to be in the new Tina Fey film Sister's too. He's a good guy behind the scenes doing a ton of charity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I love "Inside Amy Schumer" and I find her so funny.

This film was, very disappointingly, riddled with clichés from the very start, though.

I wasn't really in the mood for it and gave up after an hour of clichés and the odd very funny scene here and there. I might try watching the rest of it some other time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 574 ✭✭✭18MonthsaSlave

Tilda Swinton's character = Gillian Taylforth.

Tilda Swinton's character = Gillian Taylforth.

What the what! :eek:

I did not recognise her at all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

I thought trainwreck was really dissapointing, I guess it has a few laughs and John Cena does steal the show, but overall it' pretty poor, and kind of steals the ending from pitch perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Seen it the other day, the odd laugh aside I wasnt really impressed by it.

There was something off with the pacing that didnt sit right with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aj Furlong

ya not to mention it was over two hours long, when it didn't need to be

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Seen it the other day, the odd laugh aside I wasnt really impressed by it.

There was something off with the pacing that didnt sit right with me.

I felt the same. The pacing was bizarre. It just felt odd. (During the first hour anyway, which is still all I've watched.)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭IvaBigWun

Nowhere near as good as Knocked Up. Nowhere near as bad as Funny People.

Once again Judd Apatow makes a film that is halfway or two thirds the way there, depending on how you view his track record.

It has some funny moments but I just couldnt suspend my movie disbelief with Amy Schumer. The woman looks like she has been dragged through a bush, but the bush was covered in bad makeup and fake tan.

Yet she is bedding all of New York's hunks?

Is it a parallel universe?

Seriously lads, by no measure, even a 4am drunken one, is this woman "sexy"

amy_schumer4.jpg

6/10 and again Apatow goes about 20 minutes too long on the runtime. These 2 hour comedy films need to stop happening.

One to wait for on DVD or Netflix.

I actually really liked Funny People. The biggest problem over here was that it was marketed as a laugh-out-loud comedy, when it was actually a really sombre portrayal of a person coming to terms with their own mortality. One of the few likeable and reasonably good Adam Sandler movies of the past few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I thought it was pretty good. It's not really as laugh out loud funny as I expected, but it is an enjoyable feel-good movie and Amy Schumer is very likable.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually really liked Funny People. The biggest problem over here was that it was marketed as a laugh-out-loud comedy, when it was actually a really sombre portrayal of a person coming to terms with their own mortality. One of the few likeable and reasonably good Adam Sandler movies of the past few years.

It is that at first yeah but
    when he's cured it turns into a different film completely. the whole plot about him trying to get the ex back should have been removed imo.
    I didn't think it was a bad movie but could really have benefited by being a lot shorter (true of a lot of Apatow's movies, This Is 40 was another culprit).

IvaBigWun wrote: »
    It has some funny moments but I just couldnt suspend my movie disbelief with Amy Schumer. The woman looks like she has been dragged through a bush, but the bush was covered in bad makeup and fake tan.

Yet she is bedding all of New York's hunks?

Is it a parallel universe?

Seriously lads, by no measure, even a 4am drunken one, is this woman "sexy"

I bet you have no problem suspending disbelief when a small, fat male actor is paired with a model. That you're judging a film on such a misogynistic is quite sad, while I've yet to see Trainwreck I have seen clips of it and not once did I think "oh that actor is too attractive to be with her".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

I agree with what most of the posters about length and pacing. How has Apatow not learned his lesson?

I really disliked the quadruple cameo scene with Matthew Broderick and Marv Albert etc., it was completely forced in for a few (really) cheap laughs.

Overall, funny in the majority but too long and too many cameos for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

I really like Amy Schumer and Bill Hader and think Season 4 of Inside Amy Schumer has been exceptional but didn't think Trainwreck completely worked for a few reasons.

• As others have mentioned, something was weird about the pacing.
    • Tilda Swinton is great and everything but I don't think her character added anything to the film. I know Schumer is capable of making the workplace hilarious (the sketch, "Tig has cancer" from her show is great) but I thought the workplace in Trainwreck was messy and could have done with losing one or two characters.
    • Over-reliance on cameos, especially sportstars that might not translate well to an Irish audience. They were all actually pretty funny, no-one stood out as being a non-actor but I felt like a lot of the humour was based on having working knowledge of who they were.
    • Too long.
    That being said, I'll watch more Amy Schumer films if and when she makes them.

As for one person worrying that Amy Schumer isn't attractive enough, excuse me while I laugh for days and direct you to two Schumer sketches on this very topic, Focus Group and Last Fcukable Day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Just on it not being believable that Amy could perhaps pull the standard of guys that her character did, I find that a little odd as Amy is without question very cute and there is not a chance that she wouldn't be able to pull any of the guys in the movie that she was portrayed as pulling. In fact, I would say it was the other way around and some of the ONS guys wouldn't have a hope of pulling her irl.

Anyway: I am not a fan of Amy's stand-up tbh and much of Inside Amy Schumer makes me want to self harm. I have pretty much hated the large bulk of her material and in fact have condemned her in tGC for some of her (what I view as misandric) comments. However, judging this film separate from that, as I think is only fair, I actually enjoyed the film. Some of the cameos felt forced for sure, and the pacing was undoubtedly askew, but not so much that it should spoil your enjoyment of what is goo about the film.

I liked LeBron's scenes very much. Brie Larson was excellent as ever (a little wasted here perhaps) and Cena also was good. The film does kinda feel like a bunch of sketch ideas strung together tbf (which is a shame) and some scenes can kinda jar as a result of that. Particularly the scenes with her Dad and sister. I also spotted two scenes in particular which were actually old stand up routines of Amy's but just worded slightly differently. Certain aspects of the story also were left unresolved for me and so the film just doesn't flow as well as it could have or should have, but t I liked it nonetheless.. a lot more than the row of ladies behind us did anyway.

They came bottles of wine in hand and for the first half of the film hollered and cheered at any point of the film were Amy was being a smart arse..
    They screamed with laughter when they thought Amy was laughing at one of ONSs for having a small penis, but their laughter died down a little when they actually heard she was actually laughing his penis being too big. 'Go Amy' they shouted anytime someone was on the receiving end of Amy's caustic behavior. *That* they truly loved. They despised the last third of the film in particular though and didn't seem at all happy that Amy decided to change her ways. Disgruntled mumbling became very evident from their direction and they even boo'd when Amy was throwing out her empties. Guess they came to *celebrate* the trainwreck lifestyle and weren't expecting to see it being shown as somewhat destructive.

Overall, maybe it tried too hard to be too many things (*some* serious parts of the story just didn't strike the right tone) but ultimately.. it's a decent little comedy with more than a good few laughs.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Has Apatow ever been involved in a film that wasn't too long?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

I bet you have no problem suspending disbelief when a small, fat male actor is paired with a model. That you're judging a film on such a misogynistic is quite sad, while I've yet to see Trainwreck I have seen clips of it and not once did I think "oh that actor is too attractive to be with her".

Well said, if same logic was applied to any Vince Vaughen movie they would all be classified under Fantasy rather than comedy (personally I don't think they belong in comedy to begin with..)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

I am not a fan of Amy's stand-up

much of Inside Amy Schumer makes me want to self harm.

I have pretty much hated the large bulk of her material..

Fair play to you for sticking with her

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it tonight and I enjoyed it overall. I've a few problems with it though.......firstly Amy schumer wrote the screenplay and it shows as a lot of the characters talk like Amy schumer. You're characters are not you. I'm pretty sure that's a basic tennent of screenwriting. Also her giving her character these good looking dudes to sleep with......bit of an ego trip there. I'd agree with the pacing issue, it just seemed to be all over the shop. Some of the jokes fell flat on their face aswell.
    But I think Bill hader was brilliant. He was genuinely charming and hugely likeable and I hope he at least gets a golden globe nomination. Le bron James was actually really good too. Plus the film had a great ending so even though it's flawed I still think it's a pretty decent movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I liked it, although like a lot of Apatow's work it needed a little trimming in places. I think its his best since Knocked up and its nice to see he works on other scripts instead of his own. Amy Schumer was a good lead, although her character was dislikeable at times she did make her redeemable. I didn't think the film showed her just scoring with hot guys, she had a few stinkers in there. It's weird to see Bill Harder play the straight guy, he's usually OTT. But I thought he was the perfect romantic foil for Schumer (plus I loved his stuff with Lebron James).

Brie Larson, was a little underused but was sweet and likeable. Tilda Swinton was great. For me John Cena, of WWE fame stole the show as one of Schumer many guys. The best scene in the move was the scene with
    ezra miller bedroom scene just had me in stitches
    . Not the best comedy Apatow has done (still think 40 year old Virgin is his best) but it's his best in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Worth a watch purely for "I look like Mark Wahlberg ate Mark Wahlberg!"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

tunguska wrote: »
    Also her giving her character these good looking dudes to sleep with......bit of an ego trip there.
    I find it hilarious that this keeps coming up.

Welcome to every movie ever made, except with the genders reversed.

Take a guy like Seth Rogen. He's not bad-looking but a pretty average guy. He stars in movies opposite Katherine Heigl and Rose McGowan and it's not even up for debate whether that's believable or whether he is "worthy".

I hope Amy makes more films and stars opposite a lineup of increasingly ridiculous attractive men if it pisses people off so much. That's comedy right there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I think she's OK looking. Whoever posted the one of her above deliberately sought out a particularly bad picture to push their viewpoint - we all take bad pictures, she looks totally fine in my opinion and I didn't find any of her matches questionable in the movie at all. She comes across as a nice, down to earth and funny individual - exactly the kind of person guys would warm to.

Advertisement