Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Wick

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Agricola wrote: »
    Really couldnt like this on any level. I have no problem with brainless action films, but this was packed with terrible acting, ridiculous dialogue, an unconvincing lead who was more wooden than a railway sleeper, way way way OTT fight scenes which ALWAYS had in your face guitar rock blaring behind them. I know there are a lot of people out there who treat all these flaws as if they are their own genre, and if that is the case, I suppose you could say this is a top film in its genre. Imo, it was like something written and directed by a couple of over excited film school students. I'd cry if I paid a tenner to see this in a cinema.
    The film almost feels like it was an overly produced student film. Some of the acting is atrocious, the direction is poor and the fights were mediocre. One thing that really irritates me is directors putting in retarded songs and cutting the movie to them, like this one does. Trying too hard to be cool, and the music was completely out of place. Seems like they couldn't afford a proper score. Additionally the images were colour graded way too much - I thought this fad died out in the 2000s! Lots of shots out of place also, in my opinion. The filmmakers not very experienced I felt.

I agree 100%.

Had been looking forward to seeing this but what a disappointment on so many levels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,630 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Loved the film, will pay to see it on release here.
    I believe they are moving ahead with a sequel.already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I couldn't wait and watched it.

Really enjoyed it, there were elements of it that reminded me of Constantine (another Keanu guilty pleasure for me!).

I really enjoyed the first half an hour building up to him doing his thing !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I have visitors for the week and one of them is a Keanu fan, so I threw on John Wick for us all... Its even better in the second viewing...
    I am Jacks sense of astonishment..!

delighted to hear that there is a second in pre production...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

based on the quality of this one I'll actually view that one in the cinema ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Evac101

Watched it via VoD a few times already with various folk but still intend to go see it in the cinema - not for some certainly but probably the best actioner I've seen since Dredd.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's out here today, finally hoping to go see it later.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Evac101 wrote: »
    Watched it via VoD a few times already with various folk but still intend to go see it in the cinema - not for some certainly but probably the best actioner I've seen since Dredd.

Have you seen both The Raid movies?

Have you seen both The Raid movies?

I've seen the first but had watched Dredd before it so, even though both films were developed independently of each other, it seemed a little same-ish for me. I'll freely admit that my taste can be all over the place however ;)

Evac101 wrote: »
    I've seen the first but had watched Dredd before it so, even though both films were developed independently of each other, it seemed a little same-ish for me. I'll freely admit that my taste can be all over the place however ;)

Put Dredd out of your mind for a while and rewatch the first and second raid movies. Both of them would be in at least my top 5 action movies of all time. I need to rewatch dredd as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Caught this again on the big screen, great to see the screening I went to was packed, seen as its pretty much widely available on the web that's a good sign.

Anyway it was even better on the big screen, just the perfect action film with a great action star in Keanu Reeves. The Villains played by Michael Nyqvist was great especially in the last 15 minutes but I actually loved Adrianne Palicki as Ms. Perkins, It would have been interesting if they made her more the equal of Wicks and given her more scenes plus the one thing that annoyed me
    That Wick didn't get to kill Perkins as I was waiting for it when I first saw it, it still bothers me even though she gets killed by the Hitman union for betraying one of her own was a nice touch but Its the only niggle I have
    . Alfie Allen did well with what he was given but I did love how
    when Wicks did get to him it wasn't a long drawn out fight, a quick brutal bullet to the head

It's great to see that American action cinema isn't dead, and Reeves has a career boost thanks to a now cult John Wick character with the sequel now been given the green light, lets pray and hope it isn't another case of Taken, totally gutting out what made the first film special so the studios can make more money with a 12A cert. Anyway its got a tough job following up a perfect first film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

I really enjoyed this although I did think it went downhill a bit in the secondhalf of the movie.

They played to Keanu's strengths, he pulls off beautifully choreographed multiple fight scenes with style. Hard to believe he is 50 years old. If anything he looks better with age as the planes on his face are more defined now.

For me one of the weakest moments was his tied in the chair scene where he made some short speech about the dog being the last gift from his wife - just be quiet and do the assassin stuff Keanu!

Alfie Allen, is he destined to be forever the gobsh1te scumbag son? Plays it well though, he has a great face for it.

Didnt really enjoy the female assassin - felt a bit forced...

Kept thinking of Boris the Blade though, Russian kingpins are ruined for me by Boris.

Loved the music too.

Overall a great bit of nonsense imo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

Some of the best and most original fight choreography I've ever seen. Lots of Judo throws and rolls by Keanu. Apparently he did a lot of the stuntwork himself. My favourite has to be
    Perkins biting the corner of her coat so that she can use it as a collar choke when she gets into a crucifix position.
    . So simple and yet so brilliant.

I couldn't help but think of the parallels between the death of his wife in the film (not a spoiler) and in real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 djspunky

Absolutely loved John Wick just for how instense it was from start to finish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15 djspunky

Absolutely loved John Wick just for how intense it was from start to finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

The fight scenes were good but I couldn't wait for this to be over.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The film is fine - it is what it is, and fully aware of that fact. It's the kind of film often overhyped online and by some critics, but taken as a dumb action film it's definitely an entertaining ride. I must confess in a post-Raid world, the action scenes didn't pack as much punch as they could have, and over eager, censor pleasing editing didn't do some of the stunts much justice.

The one thing I did admire about it, though, was the sheer efficiency of its storytelling. The motivations are incredibly simplistic, but that simply serves to get things moving with a minimum amount of nonsense. I loved the way they handled the lore and internal rules of the assassins' world. It crucially just is, no time wasted on exposition or explainers that dilute the pleasing absurdity of it all - some mystery remains, while delivering the right amount of information to keep the audience generally aware of what's going on. By no means is it a reserved film, but it does know that holding some things back can be beneficial for film and audience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

John Wick 2: Wick Harder* has been announced.

* I made up the "Wick Harder" bit. How about John Wick II: The Wickening?

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

That is one hell of a movie. But i wouldn't call it the best action movie of recent times. But still it okay.
    Loved it and enjoyed it.

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    John Wick 2: Wick Harder* has been announced.

* I made up the "Wick Harder" bit. How about John Wick II: The Wickening?

John Wick: The Wicker Man ?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

Anyone know the DVD release date for this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭SScope

A quick google search has it as being released on DvD in Oct of last yr. Not sure if I can link to HMV online but its there for sale at 15.99

My bad its the bloody soundtrack, sorry man

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭Rezident

Great film, good re-watchability too.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Geraldo

SScope wrote: »
    A quick google search has it as being released on DvD in Oct of last yr. Not sure if I can link to HMV online but its there for sale at 15.99

Really? Thought this was newer. Weekend sorted so.

It has yet to get an Irish or UK DVD and Blu-Ray release and could be months away. If you want you can import it easily from a number of countries.

• Advertisement

Just saw its the soundtrack, my mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭Kev W

John Wick: The Wicker Man ?

John Wick II:The Wick and the Dead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Honey, I Wicked the Kids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Dair76 wrote: »
    Honey, I Wicked the Kids.

John Wick:End of his Wick

John Wick: Wicked

• Advertisement

SScope wrote: »
    John Wick: Wicked

Goddamnit. You stole mine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Very cool movie, abstract as feck imho , but worth a watch! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

The Wickening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

John Wick 2: The Wick and the dead?

The Wickenator - Genisys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭MrWalsh

Wick World

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

John Wick 2 - The Wickerman

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭fitz

John Wick 2: A Wick Among The Tombstones

Wick Hard 2: Wick Harder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

Thankfully the terrible naming of John Wick 2, ceased a few months ago...

In a press release for the forthcoming adaptation of Outlaws Inc., it seems as though Fundamental Films inadvertently revealed when John Wick 2 will start filming.

"Thunder Road’s upcoming releases include Sicario directed by Denis Villeneuve starring Benicio Del Toro, Emily Blunt, and Josh Brolin, and the tent pole film Gods of Egypt for Summit/Lionsgate directed by Alex Proyas. Also upcoming is a sequel to the hit actioner John Wick starring Keanu Reeves which begins shooting this Fall," says a press release.

John Wick starred Keanu Reeves, directed by David Leitch and Chad Stahelski and written by Derek Kolstad, all of whom will return for the sequel.

John Wick stars Reeves as the titular hitman, looking for revenge and redemption.

“With such tremendous fan and critical support for ‘John Wick,’ we knew that there was still so much more of this story to tell,” said Jason Constantine, President of Acquisitions and Co-Productions in a press release. “We are thrilled that Keanu, David and Chad have re-teamed with us and promise to bring audiences even more excitement the second time around.”

Jason Constantine and Eda Kowan will oversee the project on behalf of Lionsgate. Lionsgate International will be selling the picture internationally at the upcoming Cannes Film Market.

http://comicbook.com/2015/09/23/john-wick-2-to-start-filming-in-the-fall/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

jesus i thought i did a write up on this when it came out.

i thought it was great. real "blokes" film and the bit with the puppy was very well done (poor little thing).

kept laughing everytime the punk ran into someone who knew who wick was and couldnt get away from the lad quick enough.

:D

delighted to hear its getting a sequel. i agree its the best thing reeves has done in an age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

John Wick: In the name of the Wick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

John Wick: Burning At Both Ends

King Wick.

Four Funerals and a Wickening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Is making up awful names for the sequel a meme now? Cos... it's a bad one....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Is making up awful names for the sequel a meme now? Cos... it's a bad one....
    John Wick 2: Wick You Too. :P

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭NATLOR

This thread is getting on my wick :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What John Wick 2 Is Going To Be About
    Going into John Wick’s past feels like the right move for this eventual sequel. It would be very hard to replicate the unfortunate coincidence of the initial movie, the crime that wakes John out of his "retirement" and ushers back into existence the killer who is John Wick.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/What-John-Wick-2-Going-About-86507.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Think the writers already gave us the plot in the first film.

"I gave him an impossible task"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I dunno if I want to see what he did with the pencil, that bit should be left to the imagination :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Think the writers already gave us the plot in the first film.

"I gave him an impossible task"

There seems to be plenty of material they could conjure alright for additional films. As you say from some lines in the first he clearly did some outragous ****, but also seemed to be operating for a fair bit.

Advertisement