Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacific Rim 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Felt a little less Bay like

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Yeah It's not looking like its gonna capture the magic of the first one, when the jaegers threw a punch it carried weight to it, they really focused on every swing and punch, and the jaegers/kaiju looked great. Now it looks like they traded it all for dodgey cgi and OTT destruction action ala transformers :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

Whats with a load of kids as Jaeger pilots ,I'm getting sick of this nonsense in modern films.
    Looks like they are going for a lower age profile with this one .

The director ,DeKnight has never directed a film before ,mostly tv work like Spartacus ,Smallville and Buffy .
    The writer Jon Spaights is a hack.
    Ramin Djawadi is not composing.
    Pacific Rim Uprising is a springboard for a cinematic universe, where DeKnight revealed "If enough people show up to this, we've already talked about the plot of the third movie, and how the end of the third movie would expand the universe to a Star Wars/Star Trek-style [franchise or series] where you can go in many, many different directions", he said. "You can go main canon, you can go spin-offs, you can go one-offs. Yeah, that's the plan".[42] However, DeKnight talked about the possibility of a crossover with the MonsterVerse.[43]

This has all the hallmarks of being a bomb.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

pixelburp wrote: »
    Can only make the same comment as before; looks like all sense of scale or heft is gone. The jaegers just come off like Transformers, pirouetting, sliding and jumping transformers at that. Think I'm going to pass.

Leaning that way too. The weightiness and "heft" of the fights appears to be gone. I'm also not particularly enjoying the direction they've taken with 1) what appears to be a bunch of kids piloting Jaegars, and 2) the "someone from our world opened the gate" angle... why complicate a movie about robots fighting monsters with some shadow group plotting their own nefarious plans.

Also, Charlie Day shouting "now that's what I'm talking about" is pure cringe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

This has all the hallmarks of being a bomb.

In fairness, the first one was not exactly Oscar material. I loved it, but the script was pure cliché and the acting was all ham.

I would say the most worrying things are if the scale is gone from the effects (weight and heft) which will change the feel of it, and that the score is not not by Ramin Djawadi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

another trailer up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iANtmUDIWU

gotta warn ya though. theres ALOT of that city battle in it. too much for my liking TBH so if you wanna go in fresh dont click on it.

looking forward to it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Bacchus wrote: »
    Looks good. They seem to have addressed the critism of the first one that all the fights were in the darkness. Lots of daylight action happening there. I agree with the comment above though that it doesn't feel as weighty as the first one. Everything in PR was slow and heavy, this has Jaegars sprinting and jumping around like Transformers.

Just seeing this comment, I think that's actually something against this one as well.

There was a nice atmosphere in the first with the rain, I think there was some neon going on. Was it Hong Kong?

Too clean and crisp makes you remember the silliness a bit too much and it leaves the cgi looking a bit naked.

I liked the first one. This doesn't look as good. It looks like power rangers, especially now with kids piloting the robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Promo Trailer from the Boards.ie twitter:

Tweet:
    https://twitter.com/boards/status/975480296295583744

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

Kinda disappointed that Charlie Hunman's character doesn't appear in it, dunno whether that was because of scheduling conflicts or what. Would be nice if there was a secret cameo maybe, but unlikely. Would have liked to see the father of the father-son team, Stryker Eurake was their Jaeger I think, return as Marshal as well since he kind of adopted the position at the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,666 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I really enjoyed the first one but have to agree with others that this new one just looks like Bay's Transformers (FFS one of the Jaegars can turn into a ball!) and the same young-and-pretty, diversity-by-the-numbers casting that is the hallmark of these films nowadays :(

Oh well. I'll still watch it no doubt, but this looks like another Independence Day 2 to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Diversity-by-the-numbers casting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 233 ✭✭Hooks Golf Handicap

Reviews are up

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_uprising

If you enjoyed 2013's Pacific Rim but secretly wished it was more like a vapid Transformers sequel, then you'll love Pacific Rim Uprising

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I really enjoyed the first one but have to agree with others that this new one just looks like Bay's Transformers (FFS one of the Jaegars can turn into a ball!) and the same young-and-pretty, diversity-by-the-numbers casting that is the hallmark of these films nowadays :(

Oh well. I'll still watch it no doubt, but this looks like another Independence Day 2 to me.

God I wish people would stop whinging about diversity. Who gives a **** how diverse the cast is, what matters is whether it's any good. The answer, based on those trailers and early reviews, is no. And that's likely down to the writing and the direction not because they've hired a black guy and an Asian girl to front the film .

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The answer, based on those trailers and early reviews, is no. And that's likely down to the writing and the direction not because they've hired a black guy and an Asian girl to front the film .

In case anyone missed it, an Asian girl and a black guy were two of the leads in the first one, too.

And the writing was extremely ropy.

So I am looking at the direction, here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seems like a lot of the reviews are latching on to the Jaegers acting more like Transformers. Looked that way from the trailers, but disappointing to be proven true all the same. Going to be a hard pass for me. Giant mechs that don't behave like giant mechs is kinda redundant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Del Toro's steampunk aesthetic from the first one will be missed, it's a shame he couldn't enforce it from the producer role.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I caught this last night and it was...ok. Not as dreadfully Bayformers-esque as I feared but that could be down to a lack of hyper active shakycam and crosscutting. The first action sequence pits a full-size jaeger against a much smaller one, and has a few interesting ideas about how that might play out. But there's not a lot of inventiveness to the fights in the rest of it, and the cgi is merely ok - the jaeger's don't always feel weightless or overly fast, but often enough for it to be an issue if you appreciated that aspect of the first film.

The story doesn't really add up to a hill of beans, but then that's true of the first one. I thought it was stupid even by the standard of giant-robots-punching-kaiju-films for the film
    to try and present Liwen Shao as the villain when it is blatantly obvious that the film owes its existence to Chinese funding, making the "reveal" of Geizler as the real villain tedious rather than surprising.
    That might just be me, though.

The inclusion of a Gundam statue as a background detail in one scene felt a bit counter-productive to me. Obviously it's meant as an Easter egg, but if you've seen any of the anime it just reminds you that a decades old animated series with a much lower budget could still show giant robot fights with a better sense of physical heft...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I haven't seen it yet but I heard it gutted the soul of the first one. I enjoyed the cr*p out of the first one: It was crazy OTT - Everything from the action sequences to the ridiculous names. The acting was all over the shop. The accents WERE ALL OVER THE SHOP. But it had a robot smash a monster upside the head with a tanker so, y'know.......

This just looks like they took the story and took the humour and heart out of it.

As for the Gundam. Was that scene maybe set in Japan? Could be more of a reference to the Gundam statue in Odaiba.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

As for the Gundam. Was that scene maybe set in Japan? Could be more of a reference to the Gundam statue in Odaiba.

Yeah, pretty sure that's the intention. It's still not a flattering comparison to bring to mind, though. Also, I just saw what the new statue there looks like and holy hell, that is AWESOME!

• Advertisement

went to see this today.

i thought it was the dogs bollocks !

its getting ripped big time by critics but i enjoyed the hell out of it. the lad that wrote and directed it (steven S deKnight) is doing the transformers bumblebee spin off and if this is anything to go by its in great hands as the action in this was smoothe and easy to follow the whole way through.

the things been compared to IDW2 and for the life of me i dont know why as its waaaaaay better than that. i honestly didnt see some of the plot twists coming and it ties in quite well to the first in terms of what theyve laid down there.

it DOES have that Chinese/asian stamp all over it. theres actually a bit of sexual dynamics in it that hollywood finds verboten these days, and even though its not anything like it i kept thinking of battle of the planets /G force.

i guess thats down to the youth of the cast. plus the characters werent what i expected them to be. scavangers and drop outs when we first meet them before having to step up when the time required it. and i LOVE what they did with the drones.

either way this is alot better than i expected it to be. i'll be heading to see it again with the bro on friday and look forward to the third they seem to be setting up for.

8/10 from me.

prob about as good a sequel as they could make from where the property left off, and a nice universe to see again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Went to see this last week and really quite enjoyed it.

It is far more sanitised than the first film, and it has lost some of the uniqueness from the first one. The Jaegers and the pilots are no longer as unique, though I suppose that would also make sense in a post-kanji world where the whole process has become standardised. It also feels far more like a young adult / kids film, and given the young age of the cast, I do think that’s all deliberate.

But, it moved along, it was decent fun and it didn’t really falter in pace. I’ve seen a lot worse in the cinema, so all in all, a good fun film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

went to see this today.

i thought it was the dogs bollocks !

its getting ripped big time by critics but i enjoyed the hell out of it. the lad that wrote and directed it (steven S deKnight) is doing the transformers bumblebee spin off and if this is anything to go by its in great hands as the action in this was smoothe and easy to follow the whole way through.

the things been compared to IDW2 and for the life of me i dont know why as its waaaaaay better than that. i honestly didnt see some of the plot twists coming and it ties in quite well to the first in terms of what theyve laid down there.

it DOES have that Chinese/asian stamp all over it. theres actually a bit of sexual dynamics in it that hollywood finds verboten these days, and even though its not anything like it i kept thinking of battle of the planets /G force.

i guess thats down to the youth of the cast. plus the characters werent what i expected them to be. scavangers and drop outs when we first meet them before having to step up when the time required it. and i LOVE what they did with the drones.

either way this is alot better than i expected it to be. i'll be heading to see it again with the bro on friday and look forward to the third they seem to be setting up for.

8/10 from me.

prob about as good a sequel as they could make from where the property left off, and a nice universe to see again.

IDW2?

nix wrote: »
    IDW2?

I think he means Indenpendence Day 2, although tbh I'll disagree with constitutionus and say I think ID2 is probably a good comparison. Not bad, nothing wrong with it but also nothing particularly notable or worth revisiting about it. Generic blockbuster sequel material, competently executed and with the good grace to wrap up in a timely manner. (Particularly like ID2 the sequel bait stinger at the end feels comically unearned).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Fysh wrote: »
    ........... I think ID2 is probably a good comparison. Not bad, nothing wrong with it but also nothing particularly notable or worth revisiting about it. Generic blockbuster sequel material, competently executed and with the good grace to wrap up in a timely manner..........

I actually never liked Independence Day 1 (I know, I'm in the minority. It just never did it for me. Thought it was too stupid. Anyway, that's another thread). But your comparison of ID1 and ID2 is spot on. He's the Brett Ratner of Sci-Fi movies: Comes in, reads the script, does what it says without any drama or offending anyone and goes home again

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

In my eyes, Independance day 2 was one of the worst sequels ever made. It sh*t all over the first movie....so comparisons to it don't bode well for this one.

I think I might wait for this one and watch it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Just out of seeing this with my 2 young lads ( 13 & 6). We all really enjoyed it. Walking at the minute so in depth review is out :)

Kirby wrote: »
    In my eyes, Independance day 2 was one of the worst sequels ever made. It sh*t all over the first movie....so comparisons to it don't bode well for this one.

I think I might wait for this one and watch it at home.

In that case it's worth noting that i don't hold the first one in particularly high regard and haven't watched in about 20 years. Having said that, I recall thinking at the time it came out that it was pretty spectacular in scope - the sheer size of the ships, that shot of the skyscraper being blown u and then the White House etc felt like nothing I'd seen look that convincing in a film before. It was still cheesy AF in character terms, though, and between that and the tone I don't think I'd get much out of rewatching it.

So when I say PR2 is like ID2, I mean more "generic to a fault and not really doing well enough at the things the first one did well", not "HOW DARE THEY DESECRATE MY MEMORIES OF THIS MASTERPIECE WITH SUCH A FETID SEQUEL".

nix wrote: »
    IDW2?

yeah ID2 .

Fecking predictive text. i swear the bloody phone has a mind of its own at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I had to stop after an hour and I really enjoyed the first one. I can enjoy a bad film for the fun of it (for context, I recently watched Battlefield Earth and thought it was great craic for all it's flaws) This is just too awful to be anyway fun.
    It's just annoying.

Advertisement