Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pacific Rim 2

Options
  • 27-06-2014 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭

Legendary have announced that Pacific Rim 2 will release on April 7, 2017.

Empire Online article

Pacific-Rim-jaegers.jpg

...and thus, my day was made.

I really enjoyed the first one, specifically the world-building Del Toro and Beacham were able to include. While I know Beacham will have a smaller role this time out, with Zak Penn writing it, the opportunity to go back and further expand that universe is exciting.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The first film was far from perfect, and did seem to attract as much criticism as praise, but it showed enough invention and flair to deserve another crack at the whip. Personally, I had fun and a blast, really enjoying the action and proficiency with which it was executed. A more charismatic lead would be my first request to the sequel's production, Charlie Hunnam was a total personality vacuum.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,010 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Very happy with this - enjoyed the first for what it was. I wanted a big dumb monster fight movie, and it is what i got, with a load of cheese (and a lot nicked from Top Gun!). There is certainly scope to improve the movie in general, but I hope they also retain the fun aspect to it as well.

Otacon wrote: »
    Legendary have announced that Pacific Rim 2 will release on April 7, 2017.

Empire Online article

Pacific-Rim-jaegers.jpg

...and thus, my day was made.

I really enjoyed the first one, specifically the world-building Del Toro and Beacham were able to include. While I know Beacham will have a smaller role this time out, with Kal Penn writing it, the opportunity to go back and further expand that universe is exciting.

Kal Penn would certainly be an interesting choice but it's Zak Penn who is penning this sequel. One bit of advice I'd like to pass on is that the best thing to do is have at least one fight scene take place during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm really surprised there's any love for this. I felt it was one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. They took the Big Boys Bumper Book of Movie Clichés and loosely wrapped a plot around it. And it's a pity because the general concept was great and should have been exciting. Hopefully the sequel will overhaul every aspect of the original and come up with something fresh.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I wish Hunman's character was killed at the end of the first so they could just make Mako the main character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I thought it was cheesy and cliched as hell, which I like in my movies but this just laid it on way too thick.

The action was good but outside of that it was a standard big budget by-the-numbers summer movie. It was alright but forgettable for me and I found it nowhere near as good as the praise it seems to get, in fact it was disappointing considering the concept and Del Toro directing.

Hopefully, the sequel will deliver some fight scenes during the day or at least outside of rainy night time and dial back the cliches.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Loved the first one, will be queuing up for a sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

humanji wrote: »
    I'm really surprised there's any love for this. I felt it was one of the worst films I've seen in a long time. They took the Big Boys Bumper Book of Movie Clichés and loosely wrapped a plot around it. And it's a pity because the general concept was great and should have been exciting. Hopefully the sequel will overhaul every aspect of the original and come up with something fresh.

I think that was the point though, all movies like this usually are littered with cliches, so he went hog wild, who cares! its about giant robots kickin giant monsters asses and it delivered!

Tbh i felt Charlie was the only bad thing about it, but hes usually a decent actor from what ive seen, i dont know!

I cant wait for this sequel! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

I normally absolutely hate these kind of films, I don't even know why I watched the first one, and I have no idea why I liked it so much....

Will definitely watch a sequel!

nix wrote: »
    I think that was the point though, all movies like this usually are littered with cliches, so he went hog wild, who cares! its about giant robots kickin giant monsters asses and it delivered!

Tbh i felt Charlie was the only bad thing about it, but hes usually a decent actor from what ive seen, i dont know!

I cant wait for this sequel! :D:D:D
    I think there's a difference between having fun making a mindless clichéd blockbuster and accidentally making a mindless clichéd blockbuster, and this was the latter. You could tell what each character was going to do from the moment we meet them, and the same goes for the plot. If they had something else to tie it together, then that wouldn't even be an issue, but even the fights were lackluster and boring. How can you make giant robots fighting aliens boring?

PR2 will have to seriously up it's game and not go the usually blockbuster sequel route of just having more aliens and robots.

• Advertisement

Loved the last one, then again i was watching it with the cast and Guillermo :P

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think there's a difference between having fun making a mindless clichéd blockbuster and accidentally making a mindless clichéd blockbuster, and this was the latter. You could tell what each character was going to do from the moment we meet them, and the same goes for the plot. If they had something else to tie it together, then that wouldn't even be an issue, but even the fights were lackluster and boring. How can you make giant robots fighting aliens boring?

PR2 will have to seriously up it's game and not go the usually blockbuster sequel route of just having more aliens and robots.

I thought the fight sequences were some of the best set pieces I've seen on the big screen, particularly the Tokyo one (or was it Hong Kong?). They were the main reason I overlooked its flaws.

I do wish they would have set one of them during the day though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

If they try and put character feckin developement in the next one instead of extra dino vs. robot action, I will not be pleased. But I'm confident Del Toro knows exactly what he's doing:

Key quote: "More kaijus, more jaegers, kicking each others butt"

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I thought the fight sequences were some of the best set pieces I've seen on the big screen, particularly the Tokyo one (or was it Hong Kong?). They were the main reason I overlooked its flaws.

I do wish they would have set one of them during the day though.

Knowing who was going to live and die before each fight pretty much took away from any excitement in the fights, for me.
    If they try and put character feckin developement in the next one instead of extra dino vs. robot action, I will not be pleased.
    Well they don't have to cut out action in order to add to the characters. I'd normally have faith in del Toro (I just think he dropped the ball here), and although Zak Penn has had the occasional misstep (but thanks to Xmen Days Of Future Past, The Last Stand never happened and all references to the film cna be removed, so that's something), I've really enjoyed the majority of his work. They've a great chance of making something special.

So I am left in the unusual position of detesting the original, but cautiously looking forward to the sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

I disagree completely in the action, i felt the fighting was very well done, they really gave an element of danger and you just knew every punch landing was counting. The kaiju cut through pretty much all of them up until GypsyDanger, and even he was taking a good few knocks, i was at the edge of my seat for the entire hong kong fights.

The underwater scene was kind of actionless and slow moving however.. It had its flaws, but its on the right track with regards to offering giant robots kicking giant monster ass.

As with transformers its just a cgi blurr/mess with no element of danger for the good guys. I couldnt have been more disappointment with the first one, and here they are still, releasing the 4th and changing nothing and millions lap it up..num num num

Pacific rim all the way!

Knowing who was going to live and die before each fight pretty much took away from any excitement in the fights, for me.

If that was a problem for me I don't think I'd ever be able to enjoy a Hollywood film!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The problem (well, one of many) with Pacific Rim was not really lack of story or character development. It was that there was too damn much of it, and it wasn't even remotely interesting or well told (bar maybe the Mako flashback). For a sequel they either need to fill the gaps between the action with something more involved, or go a different direction and just focus nearly exclusively on what everyone has come to see.

I still think the film was a major missed opportunity, with even the action - barring some of the Hong Kong brawling, when the film briefly spring to life - crippled by ill-judged settings (rain, night, underwater etc...), repetition and just a general lack of verve and imagination. Far from being the saviour of spectacle cinema, it all too often blurred into the crowd. I'm sure del Toro has a better film in him than that, but I suppose that will be answered three years from now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

My favourite film of last summer.

It pains me to see how badly Pacific Rim was dissected apart, it had a wonderful childlike sense of fun and "wahhhhaaayyy!!!", but could be semi serious too, as opposed to Bay's Transformers "Grrrrrrrhhhhh,bawww, military advertisement, grungy, trashy" feeling. I feel dirty after those movies

Also nice to see a western funded movie where East meets West set in Asia, it was a like a anime saturday morning movie/cartoon come to life. Pure imagination and a cool concept. Edge of Tomorrow was the same thing this summer, although that film is a near classic for me. I can see Asian ideas/stories being huge this decade. Their stories also end being slightly more cerebal and imaginative, and they both have a sense of place, which makes them work.

Pacific Rim was the first movie in years with that Independence Day feel, though the tone is only slightly more carefree. Has an iconic theme too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

Adamantium wrote: »
    it had a wonderful childlike sense of fun and "wahhhhaaayyy!!!", but could be semi serious too, as opposed to Bay's Transformers "Grrrrrrrhhhhh,bawww, military advertisement, grungy, trashy" feeling.

Agree with this completely. I love giant monsters, I love robots. If the robots are giant, I love them more. Appleseed, Evangelion, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, so on. All of them make the kid in me come right out and throw my hands around. Pacific Rim had me from the first shot. You feel these things really are massive, and every movement is slow and has massive impact. It was fantastic to see a giant monster / robot movie on this scale. I'll be in line for a second, for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The problem (well, one of many) with Pacific Rim was not really lack of story or character development. It was that there was too damn much of it, and it wasn't even remotely interesting or well told (bar maybe the Mako flashback). For a sequel they either need to fill the gaps between the action with something more involved, or go a different direction and just focus nearly exclusively on what everyone has come to see.

I still think the film was a major missed opportunity, with even the action - barring some of the Hong Kong brawling, when the film briefly spring to life - crippled by ill-judged settings (rain, night, underwater etc...), repetition and just a general lack of verve and imagination. Far from being the saviour of spectacle cinema, it all too often blurred into the crowd. I'm sure del Toro has a better film in him than that, but I suppose that will be answered three years from now.

I was slightly nodding in agreement with your post until I came to this line. PR has been most of the most visually distinctive action/monster movies I've seen in a long time. Ok, there was a bit of an overuse of night time fights but I liked it. I don't think that Hong Kong fight with Hong Kong in all it's neon glory would have looked as cool in the day time. Also, w.r.t. a lot of the fights being in water... well the monsters were coming from the Pacific.

I do agree though that between the action, things didn't flow, not even in a corny OTT way. I loved the cheesy cliches throughout the movie but the two main characters were stiff as cardboard.

Personally, I would agree that it was a missed opportunity. So much went right that I think the whole thing was let down by the male and female leads. The tone was slightly off with the side story of the two mad scientists. It was nearly right but veered to close to slapstick at times.

Here's hoping PR2 addresses those things and we get another a fantastic monsters vs robots movie.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Adamantium wrote: »
    Also nice to see a western funded movie where East meets West set in Asia, it was a like a anime saturday morning movie/cartoon come to life. Pure imagination and a cool concept. Edge of Tomorrow was the same thing this summer, although that film is a near classic for me. I can see Asian ideas/stories being huge this decade. Their stories also end being slightly more cerebal and imaginative, and they both have a sense of place, which makes them work.

The main reason you'll be seeing more films set in Asia is not an artistic one, but because of the increasing viability of the Chinese market. In fact, there'd be no such thing as Pacific Rim 2 on the cards if it wasn't for the film's unusually lucrative run in China. It's not the only one though: Chinese investment has led to extended Eastern sojourns in Iron Man 3, the new Transformers film, Looper and others to try and appeal to the ever growing box office potential there. I'm a little concerned this is all going to start seeming pretty contrived soon (like the Chinese cut of IM3), and that there might be compromises made to suit the strict censorship of and conditions imposed by the Chinese government / businesses. At least in Pacific Rim the setting made sense and was well utilised, but there's going to be a whole lot of trips to Asia in upcoming blockbusters and that's going to be a double-edge sword: some much needed cultural diversity, but also in a purely economics driven way.

Also, 'cerebral'? I'm not sure if you're referring to Pacific Rim specifically here, but of all the words positive and negative that could potentially be directed towards PR cerebral sure as heck ain't one of them :pac: The film is just about as dumb as blockbuster filmmaking gets, and the film is proud of the fact - as the responses above indicate whether that's a good or a bad thing is up to individual interpretation.

I can see Raleigh being a drunk retired Jaeger pilot who now has to make a living piloting his Jaeger at monster truck rallies.
    Only to be brought back in to help the new kids who have never seen action after their heavy loss to 20 Kaiju.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

PR2 is not a done deal yet, but the director has at least one casting idea:
    Had lunch with Maisie Williams yesterday. Remarkable. Dammit- if PR2 happens, that girl is getting a Jaeger.
    — Guillermo del Toro (@RealGDT) October 3, 2015
    (In the unlikely event you don't know who Maisie Williams is: she's one of the leading actresses in Game of Thrones. "Leading" means she's survived five-and-a-half seasons without getting dead yet.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Hmmm.

Is she not too young?

Hmmm.

Is she not too young?

She's 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I hope some of the robots in the next movie actually fight during daylight hours.

She's 18? I don't know why, but I always thought she was much younger. She's an incredible actress though. Definitely the strongest of the current crop of younger actors in GoT.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Enjoyed the first one.

Hope they remember to start with the sword next time.

Easier than punching something to death!

Also, no Charlie Day would be a plus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Hmmm.

Is she not too young?

Well, there's a certain theme in mecha shows where a child is forced to pilot a giant robot against their will and in spite of the severe toll it takes on them. It's a theme I could see Del Toro exploring in a sequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,957 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Links234 wrote: »
    Well, there's a certain theme in mecha shows where a child is forced to pilot a giant robot against their will and in spite of the severe toll it takes on them. It's a theme I could see Del Toro exploring in a sequel.
    Children drawn in to violence far too young is a major theme of Game of Thrones, too. Arya Stark, Maisie's character, had a sword made for her by her half-brother Jon Snow, who told her to "stick them with the pointy end". She's done exactly that to a number of people over the years, starting when she was about 12. :eek:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement