Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Ant-Man

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,900 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Joss Whedon
    “I thought the script was not only the best script that Marvel had ever had, but the most Marvel script I’d read. I had no interest in ‘Ant-Man.’ [Then] I read the script, and was like, ‘Of course! This is so good!’ It reminded me of the books when I read them. Irreverent and funny and could make what was small large, and vice versa. I don’t know where things went wrong. But I was very sad. Because I thought, ‘This is a no-brainer. This is Marvel getting it exactly right.’ Whatever dissonance that came, whatever it was, I don’t understand why it was bigger than a marriage that seemed so right. But I’m not going to say it was definitely all Marvel, or Edgar’s gone mad! I felt like they would complement each other by the ways that they were different. And, uh, somethin’ happened.”

http://screenrant.com/joss-whedon-edgar-wright-ant-man-script/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

had no idea the second trailer was out and it ran before the showing of avengers AOU i was just at.

all i can say is it went down great with the audience i was with and its got me onboard for the flick. genuinely looks to be the most fun marvel film since guardians !

• Registered Users Posts: 10 buckybarnes

This is going to be a very character based movie , and in watching GOTG , Avengers ,X Men we have been spoiled lately so it'll be good to get back to a movie focusing on one hero, I think that maybe explains the underwhelming nature of the trailer
    hmm yeah we've truly been spoiled with the recent abundance of movies revolving around boring white male superheroes..
    imo, the trailer is underwhelming simply due to the fact that we've seen this all before. ant man is not new or different in any remarkable way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

just out of intrest anyone think the tech behind the bad guy will end up in cap: civil war?

it looks an awful lot like the iron spider thing from that comic.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭colosus1908

Love the trailer...so i was wrong thinking the days of 1 man hero movie is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,308 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

had no idea the second trailer was out and it ran before the showing of avengers AOU i was just at.

all i can say is it went down great with the audience i was with and its got me onboard for the flick. genuinely looks to be the most fun marvel film since guardians !
    Hadn't there only been age of ultron since guardians?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

New poster

55675c8f64c85.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What a cheesy tag-line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Kinda like these new posters.
    Still not awfully enthused.
    Images are massive (funnily enough), so didn't embed!

They are good, but I wouldn't be surprised if some people saw them and expected Iron Man, Cap, and Thor to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

Like those posters, but it smells like the studio are worried about this film and are really trying to hit us over the head with the Avengers connection to get the casual viewers in. All well and good, it's a marketing department, they're meant to try to get the punters in the door. But I hope the story can stand on it's own, I don't just want another "episode" in the MCU, film-A leads to film-B leads to film-C and on and on we go.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭James74

FunLover18 wrote: »
    ...but I wouldn't be surprised if some people saw them and expected Iron Man, Cap, and Thor to make an appearance.

Good point, risking a backlash there. If my young lad is going to see Iron Man on a poster, he's going to expect Iron Man in the movie. And no matter how good Ant-Man is he's going to be pissed when he doesn't turn up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder if there's any worry about releasing so close to Avengers 2, especially with a sizeable enough portion of the vocal audience feeling fairly blasé about that film; one that's still playing in many theatres at that. I notice Captain America 2 & Guardians of the Galaxy came out within a couple of months of each other, but I'd argue that Guardians... was (insofar as MCU films can be) pretty divorced from the rest of the mythology. It was it's own creature, while Ant-Man is more closely linked to the MCU.

Really looking like fatigue is setting in, regarding super hero films.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,402 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

pixelburp wrote: »
    I wonder if there's any worry about releasing so close to Avengers 2, especially with a sizeable enough portion of the vocal audience feeling fairly blasé about that film; one that's still playing in many theatres at that. I notice Captain America 2 & Guardians of the Galaxy came out within a couple of months of each other, but I'd argue that Guardians... was (insofar as MCU films can be) pretty divorced from the rest of the mythology. It was it's own creature, while Ant-Man is more closely linked to the MCU.

I doubt they're bothered, AoU made and continues to make a tonne of money and was actually well liked (though not loved like it's predecessor it's fair to say) by most critics and the general public. Ant Man will be a success without a doubt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I can't wait for Ant-Man neway this so called ...Fatigue...ugh ....hasn't set in for me and like Guardians i think this one will surprise people

This is getting some fantastic buzz on Twitter!! Reading what's being said has me very excited and hopeful.

I saw this last night at a screening. While I can't review the movie yet, I can confirm that I enjoyed it a lot and that there are indeed two stings, one mid- and one post-credits.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Otacon wrote: »
    I saw this last night at a screening. While I can't review the movie yet, I can confirm that I enjoyed it a lot and that there are indeed two stings, one mid- and one post-credits.

Where/how'd you see it early?

How's it rank among the others like GoTG and Avengers?

There certainly seems to be more optimism about this one. At the beginning it looked like it was going to be a low key entry to the MCU, now it's shaping up to be a hit. Looking forward to seeing some more reviews of this come out.

• Advertisement

Where/how'd you see it early?

How's it rank among the others like GoTG and Avengers?

I saw it at a multimedia screening.

I'm not sure where I would rank it but I enjoyed it more than Age of Ultron but not as much as I enjoyed GotG.

The embargo is 22:00 tonight so expect more reviews then.

Otacon wrote: »
    I saw it at a multimedia screening.

I'm not sure where I would rank it but I enjoyed it more than Age of Ultron but not as much as I enjoyed GotG.

The embargo is 22:00 tonight so expect more reviews then.

Welp, even just one person saying that is enough to convince me to see it.

A good review from RTE here - http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0708/713395-film-review-ant-man/

I'm not sure how much weight I lend to it but it makes a few points that has me happy - Rudd shines, the Wright mess hasn't harmed the production (and much of the humour remained intact) & it ditches the Marvel formula of a large scale (no pun intended) world-at-risk showdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Bacchus wrote: »
    A good review from RTE here - http://www.rte.ie/ten/news/2015/0708/713395-film-review-ant-man/

I'm not sure how much weight I lend to it but it makes a few points that has me happy - Rudd shines, the Wright mess hasn't harmed the production (and much of the humour remained intact) & it ditches the Marvel formula of a large scale (no pun intended) world-at-risk showdown.

TC 404: Page not found

I guess the review embargo Otacon mentioned is still in place..

TC 404: Page not found

I guess the review embargo Otacon mentioned is still in place..

Ha! Yes, it's down now. They gave it 4 stars anyway, said Rudd was great as the star man, the script was solid with lots of Wright's influence still evident throughout and the story is more of a "super-heist" rather than a superhero showdown.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,900 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

Really looking like fatigue is setting in, regarding super hero films.

What 'man' will pop up next? Waspman? Beeman? Actually, he's already there! Or my auld favorite Bluebottleman? Maybe Mothman? Or what about Hamsterman?

We have had the originals like Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Ironman. Then we have Hooperman, Bananaman and now Antman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

What 'man' will pop up next? Waspman? Beeman? Actually, he's already there! Or my auld favorite Bluebottleman? Maybe Mothman? Or what about Hamsterman?

We have had the originals like Batman, Superman, Spiderman and Ironman. Then we have Hooperman, Bananaman and now Antman.

I totally understand the frustration some people have with these movies, there always seems to be another one just around the corner. There was a trailer for Fantastic Four (due August) at the start of Terminator last night. It can get a bit old alright. That said, Im still looking forward to watching this, even though I really shouldn't be.

But just FYI:

Theres already a Wasp, its Ant-man wife. Or at least the first Ant-man, Hank Pym. It doesn't look like she will feature in this movie though.

Also, Ant-man has been around since 1962, making him as old as Spiderman (also 1962) older than Ironman (1963) but not quite as old as Batman (1940) or Superman (1933)

I think you could be onto something with Bluebottleman though :D

I think you could be onto something with Bluebottleman though

Superpowers include getting into houses through the smallest gaps but not being able to get out again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Superpowers include getting into houses through the smallest gaps but not being able to get out again.

He acts the maggot though.

• Advertisement

My review, for anyone interested. Kept it spoiler-free.

http://www.bigredbarrel.com/blog/2015/07/review-ant-man/

I totally understand the frustration some people have with these movies, there always seems to be another one just around the corner. There was a trailer for Fantastic Four (due August) at the start of Terminator last night. It can get a bit old alright. That said, Im still looking forward to watching this, even though I really shouldn't be.

But just FYI:

Theres already a Wasp, its Ant-man wife. Or at least the first Ant-man, Hank Pym. It doesn't look like she will feature in this movie though.

Also, Ant-man has been around since 1962, making him as old as Spiderman (also 1962) older than Ironman (1963) but not quite as old as Batman (1940) or Superman (1933)

I think you could be onto something with Bluebottleman though :D

True, and some can be surprisingly good as well! There area lot of 'man' movies and even the most famous and successful of these have had their off moments (e.g. Superman IV, Batman & Robin). For me, the best superhero movies are franchises like Batman, Superman, Ironman, Spiderman, etc. when they are at their best. The Dark Knight movies are among the best.

Yes ... that would be among his greatest powers! Could form the basis of the whole story.
    Ipso wrote: »

Yeah, he hangs around dirty places acting the maggot :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

Ipso wrote: »

Great buzz building about this film already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭stephenl15

Going to the Premiere tonight in Dublin :) What happens at premieres it's my first one :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Going to the Premiere tonight in Dublin :) What happens at premieres it's my first one :P

Normally just go in theres usually a section where you can have a beer, theres a few words at the start, film comes on, you watch, its over. (alot of people clap), out ya go

cronin_j wrote: »
    Normally just go in theres usually a section where you can have a beer, theres a few words at the start, film comes on, you watch, its over. (alot of people clap), out ya go

Soooo Paul Rudd won't be there then :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

stephenl15 wrote: »
    Soooo Paul Rudd won't be there then :P

I went to a premiere in Dublin and Judd Atatow and katherine heigl were there... you never know.

• Advertisement

cronin_j wrote: »
    I went to a premiere in Dublin and Judd Atatow and katherine heigl were there... you never know.

Lucky you :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,193 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Seen this tonight, what a movie, it is the funniest Marvel movie I have seen so far. Paul Rudd is gold as Scott Lang, some interesting twists on the origin stories too, Michael Douglas was great too. Will hope to see it again in Imax over the weekend.

Seen this tonight, what a movie, it is the funniest Marvel movie I have seen so far. Paul Rudd is gold as Scott Lang, some interesting twists on the origin stories too, Michael Douglas was great too. Will hope to see it again in Imax over the weekend.

This! Absolutely hilarious. Highly recommended :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Was there tonight also. Great film..

One of those rare films where the film was way better than the trailer made it appear it would be. I find I get bored during parts of many of the Marvel movies if the action goes on for too long but this for me had the perfect balance of action, story, dialogue, jokes etc.

Have to see it in IMAX now.

See the smallest hero... on the biggest screen. Should so be the IMAX tag

See the smallest hero... on the biggest screen. Should so be the IMAX tag

tumblr_inline_mjvjowLEJx1rhqkfq.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,117 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Strange that this isn't out till Friday the marvel movies always used to be out on a Thursday or Friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I enjoyed it a lot. More than I was expecting in fact. In terms of comparing it to Ultron, I enjoyed ultron more, but ant-man is much better executed and better at what its trying to do, it was nice to get a contained marvel movie for once, and with much better pacing than Ultron, and the nods to MCU continuity were great, and not over done. The humour was great, not as quite as good as GOTG for me personally, but still right on. Marvel does it again.

in terms of MCU stuff, Falcon's inclusion felt a bit forced, in that he plays literally no part in the story other than that, but otherwise, cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Saw it. Thought it was ok - some pretty standard Marvel stuff. There were parts I enjoyed, like when Michael Pena was on screen...because he's awesome! Everything else felt rinsed and repeated. Trailer for Fantastic Four I saw before it though looked aces. Seriously, I was thinking: "What the hell is this, Interstellar 2?!" and boom...I was hooked, even if the four look a little young than I'd be used to after the last FF films (****e though they were).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Went today and I really enjoyed it and thought the cast were very good especially Douglas as hank pym.

Defo in my top 5 marvel films and I enjoyed it way more than age of ultron.
    Stick around for the post credits scenes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement