Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Visit

Options
  • 13-09-2015 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭

Wondering what people's thoughts on this latest M. Night Shyamalan film are?

Saw it today, to be be honest thought it had a lot more promise than what it ended delivering, overall I was rather disappointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Dhamma

I saw it at the weekend, and regret doing so.

In reviews, it was being billed as something of a return to form for M. Night Shyamalan. I wouldn't agree. It was awkward/embarrassing where it should have been hair-raising.

Overall, a pretty poor effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Decuc500

I really liked it. It didn't take itself seriously and had a few laughs but was also effective as a creepy horror movie.

For once a found footage or rather 'mock documentary' movie that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The reality is that Signs is the perfect realisation of Shyamalan's vision. It's funny, has plenty of shocks and a central mystery wrapped up in / resolved by the emotional and spiritual experiences of the central characters that is tied together in clever fashion. Anyone who didn't enjoy that film is probably doomed to perpetual dissatisfaction with Shyamalan's output.

As it is, The Visit is his best effort at recapturing the magic in ~13 years. It isn't perfect, it doesn't wrap up neatly and is hampered by some uneven performances. But it has some great moments and builds up a solid wave of tension through the middle of the film. I for one welcome it as a step in the right direction back to former prowess and would suggest that - at a tight 94mins - there will be much worse trips to the multiplex on offer this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,279 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

However, if 2 kids calling their Granddad Pop-Pop annoys you, avoid this movie!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,489 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    However, if 2 kids calling their Granddad Pop-Pop annoys you, avoid this movie!

The rapping annoyed me a lot more.

It's decent enough though I liked It Follows a lot more.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

The film just felt tonally all over the place. The mixture of comedy and horror/suspense just didn't work, and ended up cancelling each other out.

The film isn't bad, my disappointment comes from expecting a different type of film to the one I saw.

Not a return to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Early on in this film, the boy really grated on my nerves so much that I hoped, being a horror type movie that someone would gut the little tyke. However , it improved as it went along. There was a sense of creepiness that pervaded the film and the stock M. Night Shyamalan "twist" was actually quite good. I quite enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Solid first two thirds, let down by the final act. Keep it mysterious, please.

Early on, I found the grandparents were a little too opaque and by the time of the dun dun dun they were too whacky. I get that this was intentional, but I wasn't that invested, (I don't need everything explained, in case anyone is wondering:p). I wasn't that keen on the mother, felt the Skype chats were insincere. I'll admit I'm not a huge found of the found footage format. For one thing, its necessity to constantly tell the viewer where to look and in this case, if all this crapola is going on, well survival instinct is always to pick up the camera, right? On the plus side, the two kids bounced off each other very well, imo.

Now, about that oven cleaning...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭DareGod

I'm about to watch this film. Given the intensely mixed reviews, I'm really curious as to how I'll feel about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great until it entered its final act, tension was crafted really well and avoided cliche jumps, but the ending was a let down to me.

Not a bad film though, and very well done for the greater part of its run-time, but just disappointing overall. Could have been much better.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

Excellent twist.. Real urban legend type story..
    Not scary.. Just jumpy. But the granny looking pretty decent in the jumpy parts removed any tension.............

6/10

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

Yeah, wasnt expecting this kind of movie at all tbh, a few jumpy bits and quite creepy type stuff throughout but imho could have been a lot better and without so much comedy tbh, expected something a lot more horror really!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭XplaygirlX

Deffo think I'll have to watch this tonight! Looks brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Unbelievably bad movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Absolutely pathetic. 1/10

Advertisement