Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hail, Caesar! (Coen Bros)

• 09-10-2015 5:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 836 ✭✭✭

New Coen Bros film out next year

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Icaras

Looks hammy but I'm excited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Wow so many faces I recognise

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Doesn't look my mug of tea at all. Still, I will probably watch it at some point

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Saw the trailer for this yesterday and I thought it looked fantastic... fingers crossed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,534 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Trailer 2 (one of the funniest trailers I've seen in a long time). Can't wait for this movie. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

It's out in the USA this weekend. We have a little behind-the-scenes footage too:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Great to have the lads back, can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Playing the Dublin Film Fest on the morning of the 20th.

A spiritual successor to Barton Fink, updated from the Forties to the Fifties, though lacking the sinister edge afforded to that movie by its parallels with fascism and European anti-Semitism. Here, the toothless spectre of communism forms the subtext, over which the farcical story plays out. The impressive cast provide little more than a succession of cameos. Still, if one ever wanted to see the Coen's take on an MGM musical, the tributes to On the Town and Million Dollar Mermaid are a treat.

C- Cinemascore and relatively low rating on IMDB. Looks like another weird and divisive Coen brothers movie which is usually them at their best imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

e_e wrote: »
    C- Cinemascore and relatively low rating on IMDB. Looks like another weird and divisive Coen brothers movie which is usually them at their best imo.

Yes the reviews don't seem that too good for it but it has a great cast and looks funny

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Yes the reviews don't seem that too good for it but it has a great cast and looks funny
    Well of 3 critics in particular I follow it got 5 stars from Robbie Collin and 4.5 each from David Ehrlich and Josh Larsen. Critics seem to generally really like it (80% positive reviews) but it's the audience that is divided, which is almost always the recipe for a very interesting film. :)

Probably won't be the broad comedy it's marketed as too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Anyone know if the IFI will be showing this at any stage ? Can't see a mention of it as upcoming on their website....

Strumms wrote: »
    Anyone know if the IFI will be showing this at any stage ? Can't see a mention of it as upcoming on their website....
    They normally list their new releases at the end of the month.

But failing that go to Lighthouse Cinema.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

When is it scheduled for release here?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    When is it scheduled for release here?
    March 4th

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

This has been out for about a week here and I'm surprised how uninterested I am in seeing it.

Love the Coen Brothers, but they've been so f*cking good at the more bleak/serious/etc side of things since No Country For Old Men (A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis are probably my two favourite films of theirs, Burn After Reading was grand as a lesser work shat out quickly between two brilliant films) that all I can feel about a comedy from them now is a slight tinge of bitterness.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I thought it was out february 26th. Pushed back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Saw this last night. It's gotten fairly good reviews from critics, but audiences haven't been that thrilled. I think critics responded to the parody of Hollywood in the 1950s, which is really one of the big strengths of the film. But I'm not sure how well your average audience knows that era.

I thought it was funny and enjoyed it, but I wasn't wowed.
    It's more of a "day in the life of Eddie Mannix," so not all of the subplots connect and some are wrapped up without the level closure that most viewers might want.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It's testament to value of even 'minor Coens' when 'minor' is still so imaginative, bizarre and riotously funny.

After some of the most formally and thematically audacious films (plus arguably their most endearingly straightforward in True Grit) and returning to the setting of possibly their single most audacious work, Hail, Ceasar is unapologetically silly. It's light, broad and full of screwball ideas. It's, of course, very funny - that bit in the boat... - and has no shame about indulging and extending tangential comedic moments for the hard laughs. But this is Coens - it's still all backed up by playful and occasionally tricksy explorations of faith, communism and capitalism. Tongue, suffice to say, is firmly in cheek throughout though.

It is inescapably a film about film, like so many others from the brothers and others. While I'd have liked the Coens and Mr Deakins to push the visuals a bit more to even further emulate the classic Hollywood look, these are still delightful pastiches - especially the musical numbers that are both deeply impressive and totally, bizarrely preposterous (Busby Berkeley's trademark).

Affectionate and mocking, the Coens still serve up a compellingly manic effort here. It may not quite rank up there with their best, but that's an increasingly meaningless criticism given the wonderful diversity of their filmography at his point. They're clearly having a ball here, and even if history decides not to rank it alongside even their other great comedies, few other modern directors could deliver such a steady stream of imaginative jokes while casually, playfully embracing the material's thematic depths. And all while giving audiences one of the best moments of 'hilarity through repetition' since Sideshow Bob stepped on all those rakes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Well of 3 critics in particular I follow it got 5 stars from Robbie Collin and 4.5 each from David Ehrlich and Josh Larsen. Critics seem to generally really like it (80% positive reviews) but it's the audience that is divided, which is almost always the recipe for a very interesting film. :)

Probably won't be the broad comedy it's marketed as too.

I would take user reviews 10 times more seriously than critics. especially film critics as they tend to have soft spots for particular directors and try to be too clever sometimes.

The large spectrum the audience give, gives a more honest feel on what the movie is like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Saw this on Saturday morning in the Savoy. Weird time to be watching a movie, but it was during the DIFF.

The audience there seemed to love it, and so did I. It is a sheer pleasure, one of the previous posters suggested that the Coens are exploring certain areas of faith and politics as well as the comedy element, but I disagree. This is pure entertainment, funny, bright, everything done with a light touch.

It is also very meta, a film about film-making. It is in fact a celebration of filmmaking, there is one character in the film who insists on denigrating the whole business of the movies, and it is clear that Hail, Caesar! is the Coens' answer to such criticism. In fact, this is the only real serious theme in the whole movie, that making movies matters. I think the Coens have been very hit and miss recently, but this is them at their best.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It felt like the cinematic equivalent of goofing off, or watching the Coens indulge in what I presume to have been a genuine attempt to recreate the movie-making business from yesterday. It occasionally all came perilously close to pastiche and mockery, but even then it never lost that important sense of loving affection for the period and material. The extended dance and music numbers felt like the brothers were stopping the film and simply asking of the audience 'look, we'll get back to the plot in a moment but for now lets just enjoy this slice of period cinema'. There were plenty of threads about faith and capitalism, but they always felt half-there, a nod towards the political climate of that time rather than part of the overall scheme of things.

Not as overtly or intentionally funny as their broader, more deliberate comedies, but still made me chuckle more often than not. Nor could it be considered an essential piece in the Coen canon, but even those minor works are head and shoulders above the average.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,395 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very disappointed and baffled my local isn't showing this, they didn't get Spotlight either ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this saturday night and there were a few walks outs. Which is saying something considering it was the light house. I was thinking to myself about halfway through that I wanted to walk out aswell. The crazy thing is though that since then its kind of grown on me. I find myself cracking up laughing thinking about some of the scenes(The Mirthless chuckle scene is comedy gold). So I dunno what to say, i think its gonna take repeated viewings but I can see myself loving it at some point in the future. Clooney is a riot too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭megaten

Saw it on Sunday and the problem for me was that the main character wasn't near as interesting as everyone else in the movie.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

tunguska wrote: »
    Saw this saturday night and there were a few walks outs. Which is saying something considering it was the light house. I was thinking to myself about halfway through that I wanted to walk out aswell. The crazy thing is though that since then its kind of grown on me. I find myself cracking up laughing thinking about some of the scenes(The Mirthless chuckle scene is comedy gold). So I dunno what to say, i think its gonna take repeated viewings but I can see myself loving it at some point in the future. Clooney is a riot too.

To be fair, I suspect the level of enjoyment you might get from a film such as this is proportional to how much interest you have in the history of Hollywood cinema in first place. Hail, Caeser's a pretty unabashed love letter to the studio system of yesteryear and I could see how some might get impatient by the endless recreations of genres past; certainly if it was a subject you were apathetic about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Yeah, a devisive one alright. A lot of walkouts in my screening.

It's Coen brothers, so lots of imagination, and full of quirk and madness, but meandering and aimless at the same time.

Heard a few critics saying it's their funniest film since Big Lebowski... no, it's not. It's not really that funny. It's light hearted and raises a few grins, but not something I'll be watching any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

I thought it was hilarious. The scene involving Ralph Fiennes and the cowboy was one of the funniest I've ever watched.
    The musical numbers were superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

I was very disappointed in this film. I love the Coen Brothers and was loving the trailer but this did not deliver the laughs like I hoped. I get that this may wash better with certain people, maybe those with far more knowledge of 50s Hollywood and
    communism in that era
    etc but in general it just all didn't go down well for me. Am I wrong or did ScarJo's subplot have nothing to do with the rest of the movie?

I thought the cowboy actor was the best character in it, however most of his best bits are already in the trailers. Josh Brolin's Eddie Mannix was very uninteresting, as was George Clooney. I said to my clearly unimpressed gf afterwards that there'll no doubt be essays and write ups about the greatness behind what we saw, the subtleties and in jokes but at that I still don't think I'll be drawn back.

This is the second time in a row I've felt let down by the Coens after Inside Llewyn Davis also disappointed me, but largely because of my expectations going in. The Coen Bros doing a film about a musician in NYC trying to make it, my imagination got the better of me but I am going to be revisiting it. Like Mark Kermode said "I wanted to love it" and he said it's got better on subsequent viewings. Hail Caesar I don't think I'll be re-watching.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,798 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Watched it last week in the IFI. I was quite disappointed overall. There are a few funny scenes but on the whole and as a body of work it doesn't do it for me, the story is pretty weak. I felt it was a waste of a really really great cast. As another poster said Eddie Mannix and several of the characters or not at all interesting. Sat through it just hoping at some point it would take off a bit but it didn't. There were no walk outs but people seemed pretty happy to get their coats on and get out of there at the end. I am a huge fan of the Coen's even the films that might be considered towards the weaker end of their arsenal but I was really bored for large parts of this. Might be worth a revisit down the line but not without alcohol next time maybe !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I didn't really get this to be honest. I've no idea what the point of it was. The trailer suggests that Josh Brolin's character is putting together a crew to try to rescue George Clooney's character.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Asking for one finite point from a Coen brothers movie is a bit like asking for car chases and exploding helicopters from a costume drama. :P

I actually think a lot of people are overlooking aspects of Hail Caesar because of its farcical nature, there's a lot there about art/entertainment, spirituality, morality and politics here. It just coats it in more absurdity than the likes of A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis.

It's testament to value of even 'minor Coens' when 'minor' is still so imaginative, bizarre and riotously funny.

After some of the most formally and thematically audacious films (plus arguably their most endearingly straightforward in True Grit) and returning to the setting of possibly their single most audacious work, Hail, Ceasar is unapologetically silly. It's light, broad and full of screwball ideas. It's, of course, very funny - that bit in the boat... - and has no shame about indulging and extending tangential comedic moments for the hard laughs. But this is Coens - it's still all backed up by playful and occasionally tricksy explorations of faith, communism and capitalism. Tongue, suffice to say, is firmly in cheek throughout though.

It is inescapably a film about film, like so many others from the brothers and others. While I'd have liked the Coens and Mr Deakins to push the visuals a bit more to even further emulate the classic Hollywood look, these are still delightful pastiches - especially the musical numbers that are both deeply impressive and totally, bizarrely preposterous (Busby Berkeley's trademark).

Affectionate and mocking, the Coens still serve up a compellingly manic effort here. It may not quite rank up there with their best, but that's an increasingly meaningless criticism given the wonderful diversity of their filmography at his point. They're clearly having a ball here, and even if history decides not to rank it alongside even their other great comedies, few other modern directors could deliver such a steady stream of imaginative jokes while casually, playfully embracing the material's thematic depths. And all while giving audiences one of the best moments of 'hilarity through repetition' since Sideshow Bob stepped on all those rakes.

Do you post in soccer as an alter account?

It's a very floral review. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I absolutely adored it. Wanna see it again now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

I thought it was hilarious. The scene involving Ralph Fiennes and the cowboy was one of the funniest I've ever watched.
    The musical numbers were superb.

Yeah I really enjoyed the visual set pieces
    The Navy Bar / The synchronized swimming/the cowboy scene
    and some of the dialogue was hilarious too
    The scene with the priests and rabbis could have went on for an hour and I would have gladly watched

But for me the overall movie just didnt grip me or piece together how I expected. It was just a serious of scenes that I cared about some not about the others. I will watch it again of course, as it was entertaining, but too much of it went over my head.....but over all would rank pretty low on my coen brother list on first watch (FWIW i liked Inside Lwyen Davis!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

I loved it, it's not grade A Coen Brothers but it's still a lot of fun. I wasn't blown away with the whole Kidnapping plot with George Clooney felt it slowed the movie down. Loved everything involving Josh Brolin's Eddie Mannix and especially Aiden Ehrenriech as Toby the good old cowboy who's really the heart and soul of the film. Throw in get cameos from Ralph Fiennes and Scarlett Johansson. You have a flawed Coen Brothers film which is better then most films out.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,509 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Think it took a while for this to get up to speed with the humour. The audience in my screening wasn't really feeling it until about 25-30 minutes in.

They did a great job with the casting here, evoking the era and the cinematography. The guy who plays Hobie really does look like a film star from that time. It's a love letter to cinema. One of the Coens easier efforts. Fairly enjoyable. Scarlett Johansson's accent. :cool:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Asking for one finite point from a Coen brothers movie is a bit like asking for car chases and exploding helicopters from a costume drama. :P

I actually think a lot of people are overlooking aspects of Hail Caesar because of its farcical nature, there's a lot there about art/entertainment, spirituality, morality and politics here. It just coats it in more absurdity than the likes of A Serious Man and Inside Llewyn Davis.

This has kinda always been a problem for the Coens. It's a shame because I don't think they invest anything less in their screwballs than in their crimes films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Frank O. Pinion

I didn't really get this to be honest. I've no idea what the point of it was.
    In the Steven Spielberg movie "E.T.", why is the alien brown? No reason. In "Love Story", why do the two characters fall madly in love with each other? No reason. In Oliver Stone's "JFK", why is the President suddenly assassinated by some stranger? No reason. In the excellent "Chain Saw Massacre" by Tobe Hooper, why don't we ever see the characters go to the bathroom or wash their hands like people do in real life? Absolutely no reason. Worse, in "The Pianist" by Polanski, how come this guy has to hide and live like a bum when he plays the piano so well? Once again the answer is, no reason. I could go on for hours with more examples. The list is endless. You probably never gave it a thought, but all great films, without exception, contain an important element of no reason. And you know why? Because life itself is filled with no reason. Why can't we see the air all around us? No reason. Why are we always thinking? No reason. Why do some people love sausages and other people hate sausages? No ****in' reason.

I loved Hail, Caesar!, the Coens have never disappointed me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Achasanai

I really liked it. I read somewhere that Coen Bros films are either madcap comedy or gruesome serious films, and while I don't think that necessarily applies, I do think their films can be broadly put into the category of those with substance and those that can work without putting a huge amount of effort (although, often, these ones are rewarded by multiple viewings).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Achasanai wrote: »
    I really liked it. I read somewhere that Coen Bros films are either madcap comedy or gruesome serious films, and while I don't think that necessarily applies, I do think their films can be broadly put into the category of those with substance and those that can work without putting a huge amount of effort (although, often, these ones are rewarded by multiple viewings).

Strangely enough I think their screwballs require more effort from audiences and critics alike than their crime dramas, and with a few exceptions they haven't really received that effort. Realism is considered more creditable and people just accept it without thinking about it, even if it's just as artificial as more surreal genres. The Coens have deliberately played on this in some of their later films, making me think it's been a source of annoyance for them. For example, I always thought Fargo (their most conventional film up that point) with it's "true story" tagline was their irritated response to the criticisms that Hudsucker was too artificial. Ironically it went on to be their most critically acclaimed film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Achasanai wrote: »

would that it were so simple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Mizu_Ger

About halfway through this I was wondering where it was all going, but realised it's a string of vignettes of everything they love about Hollywood during that period.
    The biblical epic; studios controlling their star's lives; the singing cowboy who can't act; the intellectual, British, director; the musical numbers; mechanical editing machine (that could kill you!) etc
    and Josh Brolin's character
    forgoing the easy, well-paid (safe) industry job in favour of the movie industry

I never found it boring and was smiling the whole way through. It's very inconsequential, but doesn't suffer for it.

Advertisement