Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash Cam Recording

Options
  • 10-05-2015 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Not sure if this is a motoring or a techie question, but I'll give it a go here and see does anyone have an answer.

I've been using a dash cam for the last few months and by and large it's been working fine, however eventhough there's a 32gb sd card in it, there only ever seems to be about 700mb space available for recording. So i'd barely get 1 days recording on it before it erases the earliest video.

I've tried re-formatting the card, and erasing everything on it to bring it back to 32gb, but once the full 32gb has been reached, it reverts back to 700mb available space. I've also used different SD cards in case the one i used was faulty, but that made no difference.

Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

That's how dash cams work.
    Erase oldest videos.
    Depending on brand and model of dashcam, 32gb card will keep you between 1 and 10 hours of recordings usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

CiniO wrote: »
    That's how dash cams work.
    Erase oldest videos.
    Depending on brand and model of dashcam, 32gb card will keep you between 1 and 10 hours of recordings usually.

Thanks for the reply, yes I know the dash cam works by erasing the oldest recordings, but maybe I should've explained it better. Each clip is 5 minutes long and they average approx 300mb, so I think the SD card should hold about 105 clips, but at the moment there's only 52 clips on it which should leave almost 15gb free, yet it's showing only 700mb free. So where's the other 15gb?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sounds like the Cam can't see the 32gb card, older stuff wasn't made to deal with high capacity SD cards, for years 12 and 16gb was high capacity.

Is it camera showing 700MB free or it's your PC showing 700MB free when you insert your SD card into card reader slot on your PC?
    If it's the PC (windows), try to select all video files and with right mouse key click properties. This will show you all occupied space by those videos.

Possibly card is formatted to 16GB, or camera don't support 32GB cards. Or maybe card is incorrectly labeled 32GB but in fact it's 16GB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

CiniO wrote: »
    Is it camera showing 700MB free or it's your PC showing 700MB free when you insert your SD card into card reader slot on your PC?
    If it's the PC (windows), try to select all video files and with right mouse key click properties. This will show you all occupied space by those videos.

Possibly card is formatted to 16GB, or camera don't support 32GB cards. Or maybe card is incorrectly labeled 32GB but in fact it's 16GB.

It sounds like the OP is saying that there is only 700MB worth of recordings on the card before it over rights the data. And not that the card starts to loop back when there is only 700MB left.... well that's what I take from the OP anyway.

OP, is there any option to set how long you want the videos to be before it cuts to the next file? I suspect it's just a cheap cam with dodgey firmware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks guys for all the replies. The dash cam is an Eprance HD, not the most expensive camera but it seems to be ok and the videos are very good quality.

I have a MacBook Air, so when I insert the sd card and access the "get info" it's showing as 700mb available, and there's no other videos or files on the card.

As far as I can see, the video loops back once it gets to about 15gb, so maybe that's all that the camera will allow, but the instructions say that the max capacity is 32gb and the sd card is the recommended speed class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

They are a great bunch of lads...

... for selling memory sticks / cards as being higher capacity than they are!

It can be few options then.

1. Camera says it supports 32gb, but in fact it supports only 16gb.
    2. SD card says it's 32gb but in fact it's 16gb.
    3. SD cars is 32GB, but was formatted only as 16gb (f.e. in some older equipement).
    4. something else.

If it's 1 you can't really do anything without accepting it will be only 16gb or getting new camera.
    If it's 2, then you just might need to get new card.
    If it's 3, have it reformatted in your PC or camera to correct capacity.
    If it's 4 obviously I can't help as I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Get a new card, from reputable source. :p

Advertisement