Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we have separate or combined thread for fruit/veg deals? [POLL]

Options
  • 28-08-2014 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭

There is some disagreement on the Aldi Super 6 thread about the best way to post info on the current fruit and veg deals.

Currently there are the following specific supermarket threads in Bargain Alerts, both popular to usually appear on first page:
    ALDI SUPER 6
    More Tesco Bargains

Bargain Alerts seems to have no active threads for general bargains at Centra, Supervalu or Lidl. Is there a Dunne's thread? - I cant' seem to find one. There are single-topic threads like Tesco to 'honour' Dunnes/Supervalu money off vouchers

There is the subforum Coupons & Living Frugally where there are posts on single topics but there are no supermarket-specific general threads.

So question is: Should we have:
    1. Separate threads for each supermarket chain - Tesco, Supervalu, Dunnes, Centra, Lidl, Aldi? Are there enough deals at each to warrant that?
    2. Or should we have a single thread on the topic of fruit/veg deals, where one thread is used for all the fruit and veg deals, but limited to that as otherwise the thread would become very unwieldy. I think Aldi, Lidl and Tesco are the ones that have regular fruit/veg deals. Not sure about Supervalu, Centra, others?
    3. Leave everything as is - threads for More Tesco Bargains, Aldi Super 6 and short-lived threads on other topics as needed.
    Please vote.

Should we have a separate of combined thread for fruit/veg deals? 130 votes

Separate threads for each supermarket chain
    0% 0 votes
    Single thread for fruit/veg deals only (Aldi, Lidl, Tesco)
    16% 21 votes
    Leave everything as is (threads for More Tesco Bargains, Aldi Super 6 and other topics as needed)
    83% 109 votes

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Deja vu!
    I think we did this in 2012.

The TescoBargains thread is more for silly prices on things at Tesco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

If it's not broke don't fix it
    Aldi super 6 is a great bargain every week
    Tesco thread is full of mis priced nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

But there are fruit and veg bargains beyond Aldi Super 6 - where do you go to find the veg deals at Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes? - these don't have threads for their fruit/veg deals.

I like the Tesco thread, full of mispriced nonsense as it is, but I don't think Tesco's fruit and veg deals would sit comfortably in the middle of the mix of posts, which are usually about non-grocery items.

leck wrote: »
    But there are fruit and veg bargains beyond Aldi Super 6 - where do you go to find the veg deals at Lidl, Tesco, Dunnes? - these don't have threads for their fruit/veg deals.

I like the Tesco thread, full of mispriced nonsense as it is, but I don't think Tesco's fruit and veg deals would sit comfortably in the middle of the mix of posts, which are usually about non-grocery items.
    I find the lidl app good
    Dunnes and Tesco and Supervalu is a weekly search on google before I do the shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not everyone on BA is a vegetarian...

Meat, two veg, bit of fruit ftw.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Boards.ie - Dealing with the pressing issues of the day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

Single thread with no commenting allowed...just the posting of the offers themselves

jay0109 wrote: »
    Single thread with no commenting allowed...just the posting of the offers themselves

I like the no commenting idea
    If you have no offer to post just read thanks and move on
    As soon as someone says aldi have 9 apples for 1 cent in the aldi thread
    There is always " Tesco have better apples, taste sweeter and twice as big
    Bla bla bla
    Funny how some people can be pro one shop and anti another
    Get the bargains from all of them and then decide on the weeks menu ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Th3B1tcH

Single thread with just fruit/veg offers and no commenting cept for offers sounds good ,offers get lost among comments
    Maybe another thead also meat outlets and butchers offers ?
    Leave the supermarkets,centra dealz etc together for the rest
    I agree with no comments we have the ripoff section if we want complain bout any of them

just my 2cents :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

If it were listed Atari Jaguar would win this poll by a mile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

Does anyone change their shop on the back of a fruit and veg offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭leck

I would change the menu esp if there was something on sale that I wouldn't usually buy at the usual price. For example, Tesco's recent deal on avocados. That also brought me back to the shop for more as the first lot were so nice.

Our local supermarket choices are Aldi, Tesco and Supervalu. I will often notice the same shoppers in all three places doing the weekly shop. I think the usual pattern is to go to Aldi first, then move onto Tesco and/or Supervalu to get the rest of the shopping.

It's not about changing shops
    It's adapting menu to the special offers and taking advantage of price wars of the supermarkets
    I never go to one shop with a list
    I go to one location where all the main stores are, buy all the offers
    Save a fortune over the year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Have to say I live near a centra and they have some great bargains regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I would tbh. We eat an awful lot of fruit/veg here and I pass Aldi/Lidl/Dunnes and SV on the way home everyday so it doesn't matter to me which I go to.

There's a huge difference in cost of a trolley of shopping if you've got 20 different items of fruit/veg. I'd buy 4 melons alone, huge difference in going to an Aldi at maybe 39c and going to SV or Tesco at 1.99 or similar.

I find meat/potatoes/dry goods the same price in all the shops so the veg is my dealbreaker! Having said that, it's not that I just go to Aldi, I shop in all of them different weeks and just stock up on their offers.

Fwiw I'd love a weekly fruit/veg thread with no comments, just what the offer is, where, what price and end date. We can all make up our own minds about the quality/taste/shelf life etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭DERICKOO

Leave it please.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

Looks like the single thread with all regular veg offers (aldi, lidll, tesco...) is by far the preferred option. I will start one there.

okedoke wrote: »
    Looks like the single thread with all regular veg offers (aldi, lidll, tesco...) is by far the preferred option. I will start one there.

Won't be long before it gets hijacked with
    Ham is half price
    Chickens are €3
    Andrex is €8

Advertisement