Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help finding a capable mechanic, Dublin

Options
  • 25-10-2014 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

folks, a bit of help required here and a recommendation pls if possible.

I've not 1 not 2 but 3 lock nuts jammed on my car.

I took it to the main dealer who sheared 3 sockets trying to remove them, ( they are a known BMW weakness ) then today I took it to a fairly capable metal work lad whom agreed to weld a nut to the heads of the bolts to allow us to unscrew them.

I got a phone call an hour later to tell me it was a no go, he couldn't get them off ( he only tried one but he had welded a bolt to the head of the locking bolt which sheered off when he was trying to undo it )

Anyway - it looks like I need someone to drill them out.
    So does anyone in know someone in Dublin who is capable of doing this ?

Thanks
    Rob

Comments

Have you tried the tools that are sold in a motor factors / halfords specifically for this?

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/garage-equipment/car-tools/laser-locking-wheel-nut-remover

Worth trying DIY imo before going the drilling route (too much potential for a damaged alloy).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

Contact valdel

Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks but the reviews of them are awful.
    I am worried that diying might make matters worse. At it stands I already have a half sheared bolt stuck to the head of one of them !

chrisb1 wrote: »
    Contact valdel

Motor Confidence-14b Knockmitten lane,Western ind est ,Naas road D12

thanks,
    there seems to be a lot of good things said about him on the BMW forum !
    I'll get on to them Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭chrisb1

If you want to contact him before then he is active on www.bmwhaus.ie

• Advertisement

chrisb1 wrote: »
    If you want to contact him before then he is active on www.bmwhaus.ie

thanks I just mailed him !

cheers
    rob

thanks lads - this guy done the bizz for me and at a reasonable price too.
    couldn't recommend him highly enough.

Advertisement