Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

First highway with glow-in-the-dark markings opens in the Netherlands

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Looks like a good idea.

Sonething like that on the N20 wouldn't go astray.
    Hell the markings on it are so bad i'd settle for light bulbs glued down every couple of feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Cool. I reckon Leitrim would be the best place to start here. They would waste tankers of it filling pot holes with glow in the dark paint :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

That's the future. Yet another type of future that will bypass many countries I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

i prefer a smart road like this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Hachiko

in Ireland they would probably be nicked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I was in Amsterdam recently and they had Glow in the Dark sections to mark out pedestrian pathways, its exceptionally useful, especially when it was raining. It would certainly make it much easier to follow a road in a car. Particularly as the "cat's eyes" here are so dirty in places they are next to pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,105 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Great idea.

I drive a lot on unlit rural roads, and in this weather it can be tight going at times driving on them. Bright lines along the edges close to the ditches would help a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

They put solar powered (i presume) led cats eyes on an accident black spot bend near Halfway in Cork before. Never drove that road enough in the dark to tell if they made much difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Brilliant idea - was driving across France to Germany in the lashing rain at night last week and the road markings were literally invisible- no clue where the lane markings were, just a black expanse of wet tarmac. No cats eyes, just dim white paint on the road surface that vanishes when it rains and is dark.

Twas scary dangerous - we passed two bad collisions where people had miss-judged turn offs the motorway and had slammed into the dividing barriers and I wasn't one bit surprised. No lights on the motorways there either for most of the way. Glow in the dark lines would be brilliant.

On another note, wherever there were road works on the autobahn in germany, feck me, they do narrow the lanes down somthing scary too - literally inches between vehicles absolutely flying along. Getting back onto Irish roads it struck me just how good our own M roads are..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

You know when you cross the Dutch border into Germany or Belgium .. The road drainage is absolutely atrocious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

This post has been deleted.

They're not too fussy about flagging up the lane reductions either... one sign, two cones and BAM, the lanes gone and you're between an Artic lorry and a steel dividing barrier that doesn't win the "I'm very straight" competition.

Advertisement