Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your favourite unsolved mystery?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭juno10353

The murder of British family and local cyclist in tourist spot in France has fascinated me. Family inheritance rows, Sadam Hussein connections, bigamy, spying, it has it all
    http://dailym.ai/2qHF4Tq
    Al Hilli murders

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

juno10353 wrote: »
    The murder of British family and local cyclist in tourist spot in France has fascinated me. Family inheritance rows, Sadam Hussein connections, bigamy, spying, it has it all
    Al Hilli murders

I remember that story. It struck me as very odd and tragic. As time went on it left my mind, I had no idea it ended up throwing up wild connections. I just assumed it was solved and explained soon after.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Talked about a few pages back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

My favourite one at the moment is Tabby's star. Things are getting exciting because it's dimming again. Even though it's very unlikely to be an alien megastructure it's still a possible theory. It could be solved very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

juno10353 wrote: »
    Al Hilli murders

Yes! I remember when this first happened and it's a bit of a tangled web, to say the least. All the more strange since the attackers let the two young children live, IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I did not follow that after the initial arrests, but i thought it was the Fathers brother? No?

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Micky 32 wrote: »
    My favourite one at the moment is Tabby's star. Things are getting exciting because it's dimming again. Even though it's very unlikely to be an alien megastructure it's still a possible theory. It could be solved very soon.

Anything that has the astronomers stumped has my attention, its amazing to me that nobody seems to have an idea of what this could be, besides the unbelievable notion that it could be a dyson sphere, aliens harnessing the entire energy of a small star.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cranefly wrote: »
    Anything that has the astronomers stumped has my attention, its amazing to me that nobody seems to have an idea of what this could be, besides the unbelievable notion that it could be a dyson sphere, aliens harnessing the entire energy of a small star.
    It's not a Dyson sphere.

For objects inside a hollow sphere the gravitational attractions from all directions cancel each other out. So the star would not stay at the centre of the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's not a Dyson sphere.

For objects inside a hollow sphere the gravitational attractions from all directions cancel each other out. So the star would not stay at the centre of the system.

Dyson never intended for the 'Dyson sphere' to be interpreted as a solid shell. He said himself that such a construct would be impossible and that he had envisaged a "swarm of objects travelling on independent orbits".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

A team from the University of Illinois thinks this explanation is far-fetched and has claimed the strange blinking can be explained by “avalanche statistics”.

The academics argued that the star was simply undergoing a process which meant it pumped out huge amounts of light at some times and smaller amounts at others as it went through a process called a “phase transition”.

“Examples of such transitions are magnetic systems that are slowly driven with a magnetic field, or the slow deformation of somewhat brittle materials where there is often first little crackling that gets louder and louder until there is a big snap when the material breaks,” said scientist Karin Dahmen.

Looks like its not a Dyson sphere

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

A team from the University of Illinois thinks this explanation is far-fetched and has claimed the strange blinking can be explained by “avalanche statistics”.

The academics argued that the star was simply undergoing a process which meant it pumped out huge amounts of light at some times and smaller amounts at others as it went through a process called a “phase transition”.

“Examples of such transitions are magnetic systems that are slowly driven with a magnetic field, or the slow deformation of somewhat brittle materials where there is often first little crackling that gets louder and louder until there is a big snap when the material breaks,” said scientist Karin Dahmen.
    Sin City wrote: »
    Looks like its not a Dyson sphere

If that were the case, shouldn't there be many more than just one example out there?

Just sayin'

If that were the case, shouldn't there be many more than just one example out there?

Just sayin'

Who says there arent
    Due to extensive media coverage on this matter, KIC 8462852 has been compared by Kepler's Steve Howell to KIC 4150611,another star with an odd light curve (which proved, after years of research, to be a part of a five-star system).

Thing about space is ., its big, lots happening that we havent seen yet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Sin City wrote: »
    Thing about space is ., its big,

This is why aliens won't talk to us, they don't get sarcasm!

This is why aliens won't talk to us, they don't get sarcasm!

Highly intelligent beings who dont get sarcasm?
    Are the aliens German ??:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

Loved this thread, started last week and up to page 80ish. But can someone please explain the constant repetitions of
    9/11
    Dyatlov Pass ( at least 50 mentions )
    Appalling Fig Roll, Cookie Jar and Who Let Dogs Out jokes (not remotely funny the first time)
    Thread could be so much easier to navigate !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Loved this thread, started last week and up to page 80ish. But can someone please explain the constant repetitions of
    9/11
    Appalling Fig Roll, Cookie Jar and Who Let Dogs Out jokes (not remotely funny the first time)

I don't know about any of that, but DB Cooper is a fascinating mystery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

9/11
    Appalling Fig Roll, Cookie Jar and?Who Let Dogs Out jokes (not remotely funny the first time)

Some people were trying to be funny hence the fig rolls. There was a poster who made a mega post with links broken down into categories but it's lost amongst the rest somewhere

Dylatov Pass is an infamous mystery about some hikers in the Ural mountains tore up their tents, left their campsite naked, later died and at least one if them was missing their tongue.

There's a podcast here about the Dylatov Pass incident

http://www.unexplainedpodcast.com/episodes/2017/4/20/s02-episode-4-when-the-snow-melts

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭loriexxx

The Disappearance of William Tyrrell in Australia is interesting. Also the case is unusual as the parents cannot be identified for legal reasons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_William_Tyrrell

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

loriexxx wrote: »
    The Disappearance of William Tyrrell in Australia is interesting. Also the case is unusual as the parents cannot be identified for legal reasons.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_William_Tyrrell

That is sad and strange . I wonder are the parents in a witness protection programme or something , and that's why they can't be identified ?

Poor child either way :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    That is sad and strange . I wonder are the parents in a witness protection programme or something , and that's why they can't be identified ?

Poor child either way :(

They are actually the foster parents, they can't be identified to protect his sister apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,825 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

eviltwin wrote: »
    They are actually the foster parents, they can't be identified to protect his sister apparently.

Thank you for clarifying that , you'd feel sorry for them all .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

• Registered Users Posts: 39,439 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I see I'm not the only one who is fascinated by the whole DB cooper stuff. I mean the fact that a guy jumps out of a plane and is never seen again bar some of the ransom money is amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Kauto0709

Very strange....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

NESSY!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Women

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

There was a car discovered in the blackwater up around there last year....missing similar time frame

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Persephone kindness

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Women
    :o:p:D

Advertisement