Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to tax my car - R J Kiln not an option for Insurers...

• 25-10-2014 11:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭

on the drop down menu on motortax.ie, anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Is it a broker ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The name of your insurer is usually on the disc.

(Probably Lloyds)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Is it a broker ?

Nope, Chill.ie are the brokers.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    The name of your insurer is usually on the disc.

(Probably Lloyds)

The name on the disc is R J Kiln, I think it might be Lloyds as well by googling it but name on disc is R J Kiln.

Just checked them, they're underwriters at Lloyds.

• Advertisement

Just checked them, they're underwriters at Lloyds.

Will choose Lloyds so and see what happens!

Cheers.

You can always go to the motortax office with your paperwork and tax it the old-fashioned way.

You can always go to the motortax office with your paperwork and tax it the old-fashioned way.

Much more fun doing it half cut from my couch!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

RJ Kiln is a management agent which operates in the Lloyds insurance market so you should select Lloyds if your disc states RJ Kiln.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Doesn't matter what company you pick. I tried it last week as a test for my dads van with 12345678 and some random company and his commercial tax disc arrive a few days later.

• Advertisement

Rob Thomas wrote: »
    RJ Kiln is a management agent which operates in the Lloyds insurance market so you should select Lloyds if your disc states RJ Kiln.

Should I choose "Lloyds Companies" or "Lloyds (UK)"?

...or does it matter?

kceire wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what company you pick. I tried it last week as a test for my dads van with 12345678 and some random company and his commercial tax disc arrive a few days later.

The Finglas way!

The Finglas way!

I've been trying different ways over the last year or two and I've never been refused a disc. I just randomly guess numbers and that for our motors!

That's the Motor Tax paid for the year... they won't be getting a cent more out of me for the water tax though!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Rob Thomas

Should I choose "Lloyds Companies" or "Lloyds (UK)"?

...or does it matter?

Lloyds UK - they are not a Lloyds company - they're an agent.

Anyway, I see you've sorted it. Great feeling paying over the tax..........

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ceptabc

How strange - same problem has raised it's head for me, today, i.e.May 2015. Still had to search R J Kiln on line, as with you guys 7, 8, 9 and 10 years ago. Am I alone in not having a paper trail, or an internet receipt? I keep papers for a while, and have my insurance since 2012. Yet I could not locate anything.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

I dunt think I've ever put in my full details there when taxing the car, random insurer and digits and never had an issue...

Cars were always properly insured, just couldn't be bothered filling it out.

Don't really see the purpose of it if it's not validated...

Ceptabc wrote: »
    How strange - same problem has raised it's head for me, today, i.e.May 2015. Still had to search R J Kiln on line, as with you guys 7, 8, 9 and 10 years ago. Am I alone in not having a paper trail, or an internet receipt? I keep papers for a while, and have my insurance since 2012. Yet I could not locate anything.

Is online motor tax around that long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mik_da_man wrote: »
    I dunt think I've ever put in my full details there when taxing the car, random insurer and digits and never had an issue...

Cars were always properly insured, just couldn't be bothered filling it out.

Don't really see the purpose of it if it's not validated...

IIRC it was supposed to make insurance part of the ANPR system but with the lag between people taxing their cars and getting insurance, and no validation of this, it doesn't work so they dropped the insurance from ANPR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,917 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

...or does it matter?

It doesn't matter. The online motor tax system isn't linked to any insurance database. Pick whatever insurer and policy number you want. All you have to do is fill in the fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭Rackstar

kceire wrote: »
    Is online motor tax around that long?

Looking at the website I'd say yes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,245 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Del2005 wrote: »
    IIRC it was supposed to make insurance part of the ANPR system but with the lag between people taxing their cars and getting insurance, and no validation of this, it doesn't work so they dropped the insurance from ANPR.

AFAIK the ANPR system was/is supposed to be supplied by Data from the Insurers themselves.
    The reason for putting Insurance details on the Tax renewal form goes back to the days when you actually had to produce a valid Insurance Cert when Taxing your car.
    They just never changed the layout of the Form, even though they no longer require you to show proof of Insurance when renewing your Motor Tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    AFAIK the ANPR system was/is supposed to be supplied by Data from the Insurers themselves.
    The reason for putting Insurance details on the Tax renewal form goes back to the days when you actually had to produce a valid Insurance Cert when Taxing your car.
    They just never changed the layout of the Form, even though they no longer require you to show proof of Insurance when renewing your Motor Tax.

Even if you go the old fashioned route and do it in person at the tax office? Talk about going backwards...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

You can put in anything and make up a policy number. It's not cross referenced and isn't collated anywhere so pick any company you want, it's purely for record/statistical purposes.

Advertisement