Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Paving in trafficked area

Options
  • 08-10-2014 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

I'm specifying a pavement design for a pedestrain area with occassional vehicle traffic. I've good CBR results, greater than 5%. How common is it to provide a leanmix base above a granual sub-base? I don't think my design requires it due to ground conditions and loads, but I don't know what is best practice.

At one point on the site I have a raised pedestrain crossing, with limestone flag paving. The crossing is on a heavily trafficked route, buses no HGV. I'm thinking of specifying a 250mm reinforced concrete base, with 50mm sand bedding for the flags. I'm concerned the rutting will occur otherwise. Is anyone aware of a NRA or UK standard detail for this situation?

Does anyone know what sub-base buildup is for the works on Grafton Street?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What is the context for the crossing? Resi? Commercial? Street?

Unless its resi I wouldn't be specifying flagstones. They will get destroyed. Use a standard blacktop with a red coat maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

godtabh wrote: »
    What is the context for the crossing? Resi? Commercial? Street?

Unless its resi I wouldn't be specifying flagstones. They will get destroyed. Use a standard blacktop with a red coat maybe

The flagstone is for a plaza type space, with occasssional vehicle use. There is a raised pedestrian crossing, like the one between the GPO and Penneys on O'Connell street.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Max Moment

con1982 wrote: »
    I'm specifying a pavement design for a pedestrain area with occassional vehicle traffic. I've good CBR results, greater than 5%. How common is it to provide a leanmix base above a granual sub-base? I don't think my design requires it due to ground conditions and loads, but I don't know what is best practice.

At one point on the site I have a raised pedestrain crossing, with limestone flag paving. The crossing is on a heavily trafficked route, buses no HGV. I'm thinking of specifying a 250mm reinforced concrete base, with 50mm sand bedding for the flags. I'm concerned the rutting will occur otherwise. Is anyone aware of a NRA or UK standard detail for this situation?

Does anyone know what sub-base buildup is for the works on Grafton Street?

AFAIK grafton street is a rigid paving build up. A CBM layer over hardcore. The paving system used was a kilsaren streetscape build up with a high strength bedding concrete, priming slurry and jointing mortar.

I was doing a job at the same time with the same system as these works were going on. Very good rigid system which allowed it to be trafficked very soon after install.

http://www.kilsaran.ie/build/category/streetscape-products-build/

Advertisement