Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What rate am I most likely to get?

• 19-05-2011 8:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

As of now I've been on Job Seekers Allowance for the past year and so has my boyfriend. I have been put down as a dependant on him at the rate of 100 euro a week.

Now, my boyfriend is about to start a new job this coming Monday at about 400 euro a week and now I have to reapply for JSA. I've been hearing that some people with a working partner can get as little as 60 euro a week. Is this true? I'm a little worried about all of this because I really don't like the idea of having to rely on my partner so much. If what other people have been saying with the 60 euro rate it will barely cover my half of the rent let alone food and bills.

My partner has been pretty cool about this though. He's offering to pay the rent himself and such. But at the end of the day its a matter of principle for me. It seems like Social Welfare is almost forcing me to rely on someone.. It doesn't seem right for me. Eventually resentment will build and it could cause big problems between us.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Zepwich wrote: »
    As of now I've been on Job Seekers Allowance for the past year and so has my boyfriend. I have been put down as a dependant on him at the rate of 100 euro a week.

Now, my boyfriend is about to start a new job this coming Monday at about 400 euro a week and now I have to reapply for JSA. I've been hearing that some people with a working partner can get as little as 60 euro a week. Is this true? I'm a little worried about all of this because I really don't like the idea of having to rely on my partner so much. If what other people have been saying with the 60 euro rate it will barely cover my half of the rent let alone food and bills.

My partner has been pretty cool about this though. He's offering to pay the rent himself and such. But at the end of the day its a matter of principle for me. It seems like Social Welfare is almost forcing me to rely on someone.. It doesn't seem right for me. Eventually resentment will build and it could cause big problems between us.

your not going to get any JSA at all. you say it is a matter of principle for you. your happy to be totally dependent on the state but you dont want to be dependent at all on your partner. the only thing you can do is get up tomorrow morning. dress smartly and go door to door, literally, asking for work. Dont give up until you get something. wash dishes, shop assistant, offer to do anything. Or just sit at home and be kept by your partner, one or the other. I never ever reply to posters like this, but the "principle" thing got to me. do you realise were the JSA comes from? Do you think that youve earned it or that you desrve it? if so, why? How?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zepwich

Yeah... Now I realise how much of an idiot I came off like in that post. Maybe principle was the wrong word.. Maybe a case of feeling more independent? But it does still come down to the fact I am not independant because of JSA.

As for looking for work, I am actually taking up online FAS training. In hopes for something in the IT department. It is extremely shallow and downright disgusting for me to say.. But working in catering, dishwashing & cleaning I just don't want to do. I did it for years and I was constantly depressed. Add on the fact I have issues with being social with other people it wasn't a nice experience. But beggars can't be choosers right? And at the end of the day someone has to do those jobs. Its obvious I need to lower my standards in the job section and I will. But what's holding me back is the fear of social interaction.

What you have said was a real eye opener though and I thank you for that. Its one of the little pushes I needed to get myself together. I'll take all you're advice to heart.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Lugh Ildanach

Yeah... Now I realise how much of an idiot I came off like in that post. Maybe principle was the wrong word.. Maybe a case of feeling more independent? But it does still come down to the fact I am not independant because of JSA.

As for looking for work, I am actually taking up online FAS training. In hopes for something in the IT department. It is extremely shallow and downright disgusting for me to say.. But working in catering, dishwashing & cleaning I just don't want to do. I did it for years and I was constantly depressed. Add on the fact I have issues with being social with other people it wasn't a nice experience. But beggars can't be choosers right? And at the end of the day someone has to do those jobs. Its obvious I need to lower my standards in the job section and I will. But what's holding me back is the fear of social interaction.

What you have said was a real eye opener though and I thank you for that. Its one of the little pushes I needed to get myself together. I'll take all you're advice to heart.

Thanks again.

You don't come across as an idiot at all. This is a problem that affects thousands of relationships and has caused countless breakups. Hopefully you can work through this, there are organisations out there which provide support if you need it.

You shouldn't consider yourself a beggar, you are a human being and deserve to have a living wage. Why should you lower your standards in the job sector, when employers continue to profit off your labour. Stick to your standards, stand up for your rights as a human being and don't accept the kind of abuse that the previous poster has thrown at you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@mrsbyrne It is not for you to comment on what the OP is entitled to. In addition, please read the forum charter. We request that posts be helpful and constructive.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭marrakechheat

You don't come across as an idiot at all. This is a problem that affects thousands of relationships and has caused countless breakups. Hopefully you can work through this, there are organisations out there which provide support if you need it.

You shouldn't consider yourself a beggar, you are a human being and deserve to have a living wage. Why should you lower your standards in the job sector, when employers continue to profit off your labour. Stick to your standards, stand up for your rights as a human being and don't accept the kind of abuse that the previous poster has thrown at you.

Lugh, u r a top person. I am on dole as well, im sure im only one of thousands who appreciates your kind of understanding. no one wants to be on dole if they had the choice. didnt get the chance to thank u for replying to my other post, so thank u

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭marrakechheat

Zepwich, why dont you try asking Citizen Information for advice? they are always lovely and helpful to me. Based on my experience, they would even do calculation for you on the phone.

Believe me, I know how hard it is to find a job. Ive tried everything, Ive asked all supermarkets, grocery shops available, cafes, bookstore, meals on wheels, Im not picky, cant afford to be, eventho I know I could do more, but we want to work dont we? I open FAS everyday looking for work, still no luck. Maybe im not trying hard enough, I dont know but I know I always try to my hardest.

Good luck on everything. Keep us posted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

The following might be of some help from welfare site. AFAIK it gives the breakdown on means test as well.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/JobseekersAllowance/Pages/ja.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Zepwich

Thanks for all your advice. I had my meeting with social welfare today. The woman didn't really say much but she put my claim up for processing. So fingers crossed =)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sausages79

Hi Zepwich,

I notice you are on JSA for over 12 months now - I was in a similar position and my GF was on JSA also. We decided to try and start our own business and we were eligible for the "Back to Work Enterprise Allowance". If you have any ideas of what you might be interested in doing yourself this could be a great way to be completly independant.

It involves some work, but you will be helped by a local buisiness partnership or a welfare officer and if your application is accepted you will get means tested and recieve 100% payments for the 1st year and 75% for the 2nd.

Following this we applied for funding from the enterprise board and secured it - this was all in the last 12months and when you look in the right places there is alot of help.

Best of luck.

Advertisement